Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Feedback, please let me know what you think of my site/work!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys, I've just updated my website and I'm looking to get some feedback about my site, more specifically about the work itself rather than the site, but the site too, anything I can do to improve it would be good.

With regards to the work, could you let me know what you think is my best piece and what you think is my worst?

Also if you think there's anything I should just remove that looks far worse than other stuff and is bringing my portfolio down because of it, please let me know!

I'm hoping to start applying for some full time jobs very shortly and I really want everything to be as good as it can be before I do so.

my site is www.peteradamson.co.uk

thanks a lot!

Replies

• Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I think the portfolio itself looks really good. The work is pretty top notch as well!

I see there's a small URL link on the about page linking to your CV. But I personally would make it a little more apparent so the reviewer doesn't have to look as hard to find it.

Best of luck!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't need to include links to the current page; on the home page, there's a link to the home page, while on the about page, there's a link to the about page.

The area around the eyes of the snow boarded is very dark, almost as though she went crazy with the eye shadow. If anything, the parts of her face should be a bit more pale where it's covered by the goggles; the goggles would protect her from the sun & wind.

Personally, I'd like to see a title for each project beyond "Project1", etc. You could include polycount & texture sizes as well, and possibly some details such as how long it took, what was the concept or motivation, etc.

The inner liner of project 1's jacket just doesn't feel right; it would probably be lamb fur or a synthetic imitator, but at the moment it just feels flat. I know there's a normal map in there, but it just isn't working. You could always change it to an unlined jacket, making the inner surface a softer leather. Also, where the heck are the pockets?

Some of the surface details - the buttons on his shirt, his shoelaces - feel flat despite being in the normal map. A minor point, really, but see if you can't give them a bit of depth.

On your professional page, try to include a link to the project's site, unless it's still covered by an NDA; at the very least, include the name of the company.

This is even more true on your about page - I can't think of any valid reason you didn't include the name of the studio when mentioning your experience - some thing such as "working on AAA titles for Ubisoft Reflections". I'd delete the final clause in that sentence - "in the time since" - it doesn't add anything useful. I'd also remove "entry level studio" from the next line; it's ambiguous ("entry-level" would clear that up) and unnecessary - it just lessens your appeal; you've already worked (albeit briefly) in the industry, so don't sell yourself short.

You should probably demonstrate some knowledge of the complete work flow (concept -> in-game) by getting some experience with one of the common engines (UDK, Unity, Crysis) and importing your models into the engine.

I'd remove both references to "various other skills/programs". hmm... you included "various other" in your CV as well; something of a bad habit, there. If skills/programs/responsibilities were significant, then list them; otherwise, just remove the phrase.

On your CV, I'd probably remove the "Temp Contract" from the first job title; if you want to include the fact that you were a contractor, then change it to "3D Generalist Contractor". Is there a reason you didn't include the name of the "children's animated series"?

Your capitalization is rather inconsistent; for example, it should be "on an Animated Children's Series".

Proper titles should be underlined, italicized, or at least in quotes (e.g. "Driver: San Francisco").
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    wow, thanks for all that, I'll make some changes. As for the art, it's too late to change things but it's great to get the feedback.

The work on the professional page is for games that haven't been announced, and don't have a website or anything together yet, but i'll be sure to add a link when it does, but i put the name of the company in the logo in the renders, though maybe I should link to their site also.

That about section seems like it needs a going over, i wrote it a few years ago and i guess it takes someone else to point out the mistakes before you notice them. thanks for taking the time to write all that for me.

Also, any more feedback would be most appreciated
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Nice work man. I think your stuff suffers from the same flaws as a lot of my stuff. While the sculpting and texturing look really good, the materials don't feel quite real. I think some of that is maybe hand painted texturing and some of it is shaderwork. Your sculpting looks really good to me so that is not an issue IMO. I think once you get to texturing, I would spend more time really making stuff look realistic if those are the kinds of jobs you are going to apply for. I know when I was applying to a lot of next gen gigs, they kept telling me my stuff was too stylized. So, I would advise you spend more time making your skin feel more realistic...the cloth and other material read more real. Marmoset 2 really can make this a much easier task as well. I know it might suck but adding some more photo real details can make a big difference too. Good luck on ur job search!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Hey slosh, yea i know what you mean, i think i get too caught up in hand painting textures and not enough time looking at reference. I think for my next personal work I'll try something more hyper realistic, maybe photosource more stuff. The pbr stuff in marmo 2 seems pretty crazy, some of the results people have been getting with that have really impressed me.

thanks for commenting, i'm a big fan of your work!

does anyone think i should get rid of any models, specifically from the "professional" and "miscellaneous" sections?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think you should have your location somewhere on the homepage. Just City/State will do.

And move the stuff from inside Professional onto the homepage as well. Professional works should be highlighted, not hidden away.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    only thing i see is that almost all of your characters have VERY similar looking eyes. so watch out for that. and i agree with what pyrzern said.

everything else is seriously great stuff.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I agree that it would be nice to see more of your professional and misc stuff being displayed on the front page. Possible just adding a couple more thumbs into the banners for those categories and maybe shrinking the text. I think the shirt sculpt with the guy sitting down at the bottom of misc can be tossed. And I would move the gun to the bottom of the page. Otherwise, love the sculpts...esp the Kristen Stewart.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    That's interesting, I'll make some new thumbs on the front page and bring out the professional stuff more. And I'll toss the t-shirt guy as you say and move the gun to the bottom. I've done the textures for the stylised guys in the professional section, but I haven't rendered them out yet so they should hopefully look quite nice when they're rendered out

Please keep the suggestions coming! Sorry to bump this so much, I just want it to be good...