Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted weapons

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Timon11 polycounter lvl 7
Hello,
I made a set of medieval/fantasy weapons, they all share a single 1024x1024 texture.
Crits and tips are welcome.

dnFXdtD.png?1
These are the weapons, a quick render from blender

TYjzEyh.png?1
And here are the wireframes with Triangle count

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• silvershrimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to improve your presentation, the shading model is really flat and uninteresting. You could also optimise the weapons a bit more, no reason for them to be in quads if they are game models. Textures are hard to see with the weak render. Might be good to make the handles a bit more damaged to improve the silhouette, with some nicks and scratches in them, same goes for the blades.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Be sure while you are painting and presenting hand-painted models that you enable flat shading (disable viewport lighting). Painting with viewport shadows enabled gives a false sense of lighting which game engines won't have (they have lighting obviously just not the way it appears in the viewport).

Additionally, the specular material adds a shine over your texturework which adds to the flatness mentioned by silvershrimp. Switch to a non-specular material or dial the specularity all the way down.

The straps on the mallet head could easily be part of the texture rather than geometry, as it hugs pretty closely to the head already. If you want to keep that part, use it to push the silhouette by thickening it.

I like what you have going there with the hole in the tip of the sword. I see you already have sort of a thematic set going, with wooden handles and red grips. I'd like to see that hole in the sword implemented throughout all the other weapons; I think it would really bring them all together as a set.

There are some aspects which would make the functionality of some of these weapons questionable. Many of these weapons have their grips at the very bottom of the shaft which would actually make it rather difficult to swing, considering these are all made of solid metal. Many medieval style weapons have counterweights applied to the pommel to make them easier to hold and swing.

As for your two-handed weapons, part of the leverage in holding/swinging comes from an offset grip placement. A two-handed mallet or axe would never be effectively held like a two-handed sword, as your grip placement would indicate.

Here's a good example from a statue concept for Skyrim

skyrim_prop_ysgramor_statue_with_axe_01_by_adam_adamowicz.jpg

Finally, your metals read too much like a stone right now, as there is not enough contrast and specular highlights along edges where the light would catch on a metal surface.

Example
    Sword_Webshot.jpg

It sounds like a lot but it's mostly some minor tweaks. Maybe adding the holes if you try to do that would take some time, but overall you should be able to duplicate or shift some elements around on your models without having to re-unwrap anything you already have. Looking forward to your adjustments!
  • Timon11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!

I've done some work and I have played a little with the render settings and this is the result:
    JBeceYX.png?1

And here is the wireframe, I didn't make it all triangles yet, but I optimized some of the meshes:
    1JxfeaB.png?1

EDIT: The texture
    IxQuz8Y.png

Tips and crits are appreciated,
    Thanks for looking!
  • Timon11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, maybe it doesn't belong in this "handpainted weapons" thread, this model is still handpainted, it just isn't a weapon. :) If someone would give me some tips/feedback, that would be great.

w4ywXGP.png

Thanks in advance!
  • Timon11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is the texture, the size is 1024x512 so I can scale it down later:

pT99Q15.png

Thanks for looking!