Home General Discussion

Dead Crusade- Kickstarter Launch [Unreal 4]

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ScottP polycounter lvl 10
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F2FB0Axusc"]Dead Crusade- Kickstarter Video [Unreal 4] - YouTube[/ame]

We recently launched the Kickstarter a few of us at polycount have been working on for a while now called Dead Crusade. If the game is something that interests you please show your support by backing the project or spreading the word. Feedback appreciated!

For more information and media about the game, checkout our Kickstarter Page

A refreshing take on the zombie apocalypse, Dead Crusade is a medieval horror, Co-Op RPG that will take you to Medieval Europe in a time of great upheaval and strife as an unstoppable plague tears the world apart. Travel through the cities, countryside, and cemeteries of Medieval Europe across multiple expansive campaigns as you battle hordes of the undead, and avoid becoming infected with the plague yourself.

In-Game Screenshots

Yq14vLT.jpg
WAYd0Wv.jpg
EW1T5Ph.jpg
2qtWIHK.jpg

Replies

• Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    This looks cool. Best of luck!
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Backed. Looks really slick and i do hope you get the funding!
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    looks amazing dude, has that twinge of game of thrones, white walkers and swords :D.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    that is super awesome! Love the idea of a zombie game in medieval Europe. Backed!
  • Warhawk,
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warhawk, polycounter lvl 11
    OMG, so awesome. My dreams come true.
  • Warhawk,
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warhawk, polycounter lvl 11
    On more serious note:

While I like the overall estetics of the game and the idea of medieval time.

I think that overall gameplay looks dull and boring.There is no weight in sword wielding. Zombies are so overdone and to me it doesn't look like a game that is giving anything new. It has been done to death. Reinventing the zombie genre is kind of hard, but it could be done with much more thinking.

Not just by killing N zombies and call it done. Maybe give them some sort of depth and background as to why they exsist when they turn. Like they are sort of outcasts of society. Give them some higher purpose than just to be brainless drones. For example when people turn into zombies they could became different creature, with different abilities, but still aware of itself. So the idea would be to find some sort of amulet or magic that could turn you back into a living human being. There could also be a penalty for being zombie. You would have to feed regualry to preserve yourself and not to decompose as fast. Being zombie energy would drain too fast and you would be less mobile and evetually decompose. As a human you would have to be very careful because this creatures hunt in numbers and human race is in minority. You would be able to set traps and make ambushes not just brainless sword wielding. So there is plenty of room for inovation. I am aware a lot of ppl like brainless zombies and that is one of the reason why they are making such games. I just wish they would be much more original.

Anway I wish them best of luck on KS.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Kinda agree with Warhawk, the zombie thing has been done to death (or undeath, I should say.) However the visuals look awesome, always a sucker for the fantasy stuff!
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    mhm it looks cool, but there are a lot of problems with the kickstarter video:

first of all its more then 2 minutes until the gameplay starts.
    now this is a kickstarter for a game so the one thing everyone visiting the site cares about is gameplay and people don´t have patience so if they don´t see anything interesting they won´t watch the video longer then 30 seconds if they are not immediately caught.

on top of all that the gameplay segments open very slowly and the gameplay, to be honest, doesn´t look very polished or well... awesome. also the first gameplaybits itself are chosen poorly.
    a player taking a quest and dying in a pretty unspectacular fashion... even if you started with that it wouldn´t have been a good interlude.

when you are talking about the prototyping phase, it sounds like you are excusing why there isn´t much to see right now.
    even if, as it is right now, there isn´t much to see you should atleast put on the marketing hat and talk about how passionate you are about the project and about the planned features etc instead.
    now all the things you could use to try to get more people on board, like the experienced team and the rat cutscene are all at the end of the video, wich more then 99% of people visiting the site won´t see.

so if you want to turn this around, there is a lot of work ahead of you because you already lost the launch hype.

this sounds all very negative, but i like the project and the artwork looks awesome. i´m just trying to help you get this thing funded, and telling you how awesome your stuff looks won´t compensate for the 245000 dollars missing.
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Yep, the kickstarted failed already. If you didn't get noticable bulk of money if the first couple of days - it is over. You guys have to do extensive research on successful kickstarter campaigns and see what helped them win the trust. Do some more work on the game and relaunch the campaign.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    unit187 wrote: »
    Yep, the kickstarted failed already. If you didn't get noticable bulk of money if the first couple of days - it is over. You guys have to do extensive research on successful kickstarter campaigns and see what helped them win the trust. Do some more work on the game and relaunch the campaign.

Pretty straight forward but your right. I have seen people suggest advice to these guys regarding marketing elsewhere they straight up ignored it.

Your game isn't going to just magically receive funding because your game looks great and you have industry experience. You only receive 20% of your funding usually from kickstarter itself. The rest is from press releases, and an already existing fanbase.

Regarding an existing fan base, where are your followers on social media? You don't even have a twitter or facebook? I also saw you just made your indiedb recently. Which is a big mistake. You want to start marketing and building a fan base as soon as you have something to show, that looks like it was a long time ago.
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    i dont doubt you guys have been putting great efforts in it, but to be blunt, the game just looks OK to me, nothing graphically or gameplay wise interesting, more like another game made with UDK.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    When I first saw this on the gaming news yesterday I got confused cause I thought it was that medieval zombie game by the Dead Island guys so when I saw the gameplay I was like "hmmmm".

To be blunt the actual gameplay looks very dull and unpolished but the art is fantastic so kudos to your art team. I respect it's early days but I feel your demo is too early to show, it did not sell your product well in my opinion.

Second I noticed the very first comment stating you need to add a bio and I have to say for a group of professionals I am shocked you didn't do your research. I'm part of a group of indies that I've never met in person but we spent hours researching how to make a good campaign (that did extremely well) and your video has a few flaws that are really gonna make you crash if you're not careful. Gameplay as soon as you click play is a must! I'm not talking about in-game but actual player controlled footage.

I've gone through my fair share of kickstarters and they often lose me in 10 seconds before I move on so it's a darn shame...I wish you luck but I fear your campaign may flop :<
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    tynew wrote: »
    Pretty straight forward but your right. I have seen people suggest advice to these guys regarding marketing elsewhere they straight up ignored it.

No advice is ignored, we value all your guys feedback and if anything have been busy working hard to correct the obvious mistakes pointed out. Today we launched a revamp of the main KS video to better reflect the changes you all are suggesting.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1bNTy6yLGo&quot;]Dead Crusade- Kickstater Video [REVISED] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-5MsnYl8Qk&quot;]Dead Crusade- Lore Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

We are working hard to fix things and get the word out. We appreciate your feedback and support!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I also see that you added bio's on the first update. Very nice.

Well, I wish you guys luck! Breaking out and doing your own thing is super tough and you guys are doing it. That's awesome and I really hope you guys meet your goal.