Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

stylised mountain village

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jimimcgowan polycounter lvl 8
hey everyone! im a student currently working on my final uni project. im in the process of making a stylised village in a mountain area which is going to be made of a farm and air dock area as well as a large waterfall and mountain vista.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h6fMf16-Q8[/ame]

heres the progress i have made so far:

week_4_07.jpg

week_4_06.jpg

week_4_05.jpg

week_4_04.jpg

week_4_03.jpg

week_4_02.jpg

week_4_01.jpg

i have been working on this for a few weeks now so i have made a bit of progress, but there still loads of work to do!

any feedback would be a great help :)

i also have a blog if you want to see some of the earlier development or some of my other work: http://jimimcgowanga.blogspot.co.uk/

Replies

• Arkana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkana polycounter lvl 8
    oak-trees.jpg

Even though you're just blocking stuff out I'd like to note that you'd usually never see trees growing at such harsh angles. Because of a thing called gravitropism they will always try to grow and curve upwards.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Arkana beat me to it. There are a couple trees actually floating too. All your Geo looks like it has soft edges, making things kind of bubbly, fluffy for lack of a better word. It's causing some shading issues. Get those hard edges in the proper places like on the building, wood fence and throw some in the rocks too for more variation. Also, tweak the lighting to be less saturated. Everything is brown. Try a hint of cool blue light source and if you leave your models that gold-brown color, the lighting will be a nice contrast.

Good start. Keep at it.
  • jimimcgowan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the advice :) the trees in the level are just place holders at the moment, i will be making my own ones next week but i will keep your advice in mind. also i should have pointed out that all the untextured things are also place holders which i will be replacing with will final models as i make them

as for the lighting, i agree with you and i have make some changes. thanks!
  • jimimcgowan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been working on the skybox this week. ive managed to get it it finished as well as getting it animated. ive also been working on the rock some more. ive got a lot of the river and waterfall done but i still need to work on the surrounding cliffs.

week_6_01.jpg
    week_6_02.jpg
    week_6_03.jpg
    week_6_04.jpg
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    The level is shaping up nicely. One thing that bothers me is that your textures seem really low res/blurry, Especially on the rocks. You need to either go for hand painted or realism (or stylized realism). Right now it looks like you're going for realistic but the textures are way too blurry. If you're going for realism you should also consider using normal and specular maps.

Good luck with the project!
  • jimimcgowan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another update!:) been working on some trees and finally got rid of the horrible place holders ones. still a lot more work to be done on the plants and foliage, but its getting there!

Highres_Screenshot_00000.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00001.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00002.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00003.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00004.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00005.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00006.jpg
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    Looking great so far. I assume this is heavily inspired by 'Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons'? No bad thing if it is, it's one of my favourite games with a beautiful aesthetic throughout.
  • jimimcgowan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe wrote: »
    Looking great so far. I assume this is heavily inspired by 'Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons'? No bad thing if it is, it's one of my favourite games with a beautiful aesthetic throughout.

aha yeah it is :p its a great game and i loved the art
  • Atokal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Low how clean the ground looks :D
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Nice ...subscribed ;)
  • jimimcgowan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I havm't updated in quite some time so i thought that it was about time. i've done a lot of work since my last update here. i've worked a lot on the buildings and the landscape. i've got a lot of the level more fleshed out now so its looking a bit better :p

SaWdPND.jpg

hG3vANA.jpg

iCpiCaF.jpg

WQha48q.jpg

HTz11Xy.jpg

xlnWnGU.jpg

clhocI1.jpg

63pMyYw.jpg

any crits and stuff will be appreciated
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    looking really good jimimcgowan ! may i suggest adding some more random assets , grass and some flowers would be cool too , it reminds me of "Tales of two brothers" !!
    super awesome!!
  • jimimcgowan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another update! been working on some vegetation and a few general assets.

To36XEy.jpg

9DPzLCc.jpg

4JqTD8z.jpg

iqIZrPE.jpg

JLx2QKd.jpg

vs1Azbf.jpg

sxYeqYf.jpg

R8WAZOB.jpg

6E5j2bI.jpg

nriJHrc.jpg
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    This is really good looking. How do you go about creating the clouds, is it only a 2D skydome or some kind of volumetric wizardry ?

You should definitely add variations to your rocks. Make some rocks look darker and lighter, and give them some kind of very subtle color variations too. I guess you could do this easily with some vertex color.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    This has come long ways, I love it!
    I would also advise to add some more contrast and variation to the textures though.

Keep it up, it's turning out beautifully!
  • jimimcgowan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments guys! i really do need add some more variation to the textures, hopefully i will be able to do this with some decals :p

Sebvhe wrote: »
    This is really good looking. How do you go about creating the clouds, is it only a 2D skydome or some kind of volumetric wizardry ?

they're actually really simple. they are are just loads of rings with a rotating cloud textures on.
  • jimimcgowan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another update! got one week left on this project and i have to hand it in, then no more uni :p ive pretty much finished all the vegetation for the level, just a few tweaks left. now ive just a got a few assets to texture and polish then itll be done! :D any suggestions would be great, i havnt had the chance to make some of the changes people have suggested so far, but ill get round to it :p

xTLxnUe.jpg

tbyIGvP.jpg

FQ9pwOj.jpg

gl9WFXT.jpg

7IoHTMG.jpg

38bwVKi.jpg

cJyk1TH.jpg

bYHkAEV.jpg
  • jimimcgowan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally finish! thanks for the crits and stuff. no more uni for me now :p

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h6fMf16-Q8[/ame]

3j5Vt94.jpg

Xp4MHrg.jpg

JepaHwk.jpg

7vk1AmY.jpg

eT0z1J8.jpg

gcfgMQU.jpg

zCv2wE2.jpg

OAUFiGf.jpg

kCL4tqA.jpg

aNwGZ0o.jpg

s9Rdwls.jpg

1ZFUIYS.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great :) Congrats on finishing up! Post some texture flats as well, usually people wanna see that stuff too :)
  • Connecta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Connecta polycounter lvl 7
    Looks really good:)
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I'm really liking this. Some textures could look even better through, especially the rocks and the green parts on the rocks. But I really like the woodworks and the overall shapes of the buildings. The airship looks pretty awesome in your flythrough!

May I ask how you did build up the overall scene? Like that mountain part... I'm still kinda unsure how to archive something like that. Is the ground just a subdivided plane with some kinda noise to it and is surrounded by rock meshes? I'd really love to know that. Thanks.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    This turned out great.
    If I where to comment on any of it is that roof texture tiles fairly obviously.
    Maybe if you go back, make a second version and blend between them.

Great job on the cameras too. For the most part you avoided that floatiness that one often sees in flythroughs. Should you go back, the 2nd and 4th shot wobble a little towards the end and I'd break up your final shots into two simpler ones.

But really nice composition and excellent use on atmosphere, congrats.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Lovely work, turned out great!!