Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Mars Temple

This project is a continuation of the February monthly challenge. I decided to keep working on this because it has a lot of elements that are out of my comfort zone. My goal with this project is to use a little photo source as possible as I want to utilize Zbrush as much as possible for creating textures. This is what I currently have done so far, and today I finished making some Ivy for the stairs and some generic ivy clumps for the ground, buildings, and filler details.

t2oa.jpg
pv69.jpg
3hg5.jpg
9kyj.jpg

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Look nice, but, not saying there's anything wrong with how it is now.

But, the lighting has room to feel more Martian.

The sun could be made smaller, in reality the sun smaller in the martian sky. At the moment, it feels more like a desert on earth than mars, but that's just some color tweaks, you could even change all that stuff at the very end with a LUT.
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your right, the sun could be smaller since Mars is farther away. I have not fully decided if I want to make it more red in color or keep it this desert color. From gathering references and looking at picks from the Mars rover, Mars looks very similar to the desert. When I get farther into color correction and final lighting I'll get some different versions rendered to see what looks best.

I am going to call all of the Ivy finished for today. Here are some shots of the separate assets inside of Marmoset. I am going to start on making some leaves for the bushes tomorrow in zbrush.

6qe7.jpg
    vl04.jpg
    dpva.jpg
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to do a little set dressing before going to bed.

ob3z.jpg
    3zui.jpg
    emy3.jpg
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been working the past couple of days to get this scene ported over to UE4. Unfortunately there is not current way to re-create the foliage shader I made in UDK so I had to put that on the back burner till the next update. I also did a lot of texture tweaking and I still have to populate the scene with some more rocks. I started the bushes today and I may go in tomorrow and start making the modular pieces for the larger temple.

8mg7.jpg
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some more progress on this environment over the past few days. I finished up some bushes and finally got the foliage shader at a point where I am happy with it.

z16p.jpg
    sr78.jpg
    19y2.jpg

I also got some grass in and started on a Bonsai Tree that I am going to put on the hill beside the larger temple. I plan to retopo the trunk tomorrow. I also sculpted out a tiling tree trunk texture in zbrush and got it textured. I am going to try and get in the habit of posting my progress daily even if it is a small update.

hpm6.jpg
    kqab.jpg
    3xlg.jpg