Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning Zbrush

Hi Polycount!

Over the past week I've been learning ZBrush and I decided to post my work so that I can keep track of progress and perhaps get some feedback!

My goal here is to be able to use Zbrush comfortably as part of my workflow and improve my art in general.

I started out by painting some concepts of swords to sculpt from. (I am not trying to be a concept artist but I did want to challenge myself and try to improve my painting/rendering skills while I was at it)

5xzhdq3.jpg

For my first "finished" sculpt I imported a low poly from maya and increased the subdivision.

sfVSHVq.jpg

I ended up with wayyyyy to many tris on this (I think around 4.8 mil :thumbup:)

And this is the current WIP for the next one.

GfbmuTr.jpg

I used shadowbox and Dynamesh to make the basic shape in Zbrush for this one.

Any crits are welcome!

Thanks for passing by :)

Replies

• Fenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn polycounter lvl 3
    A suggestion for the handles: Try making a low poly cylinder in Zbrush and shape it to what you want. Then use the topology brush to create the wraps. Or you can just use smaller cylinders to create the wraps, depending on what you are looking for.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Hard surface is definitely tricky when you're starting out in ZBrush, this stuff looks petty clean though so good job. Also there's not really such thing as too many polygons when it comes to high res sculpts, just use as many as you need for the detail you want. (as long as ZBrush doesn't crash :P)

I guess my crit would be that you didn't incorporate the interesting twisted design of the grip on the first sword and that for a weapon with so many scratches it still has a pristine blade edge (no notches etc)
  • Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn: Thanks for the tip! Yeah i think I will try that approach for the next time I make something like the sword grips. I think the extract tool will do something similar?

Boozebeard:I've tried to improve the blade edge on my next sword. So thanks for the crit! Much appreciated.

Heres the second sword.

QWQykPN.jpg

I spent some time messing around with dynamesh and made this tree. I'ts just a sketch really trying to figure out the best way to apply a bark like "feel" to it.

Je4v7xc.jpg

Also spent a little time messing around with some rocks.

CFH9X4N.jpg

KiiDUhO.jpg

Started the 3rd weapon will post results soon! I also want to revisit rocks but gonna do a different approach next time!

Thanks for the comments guys!