Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

\Indie Character Artist dump

cleankid
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
cleankid polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys, I am working as a character artist on a small team developing a free to play game in Unity. I thought I would use this thread to post some art and get any feedback from the community. The game were making doesn't have a name or anything but its along the lines of a class based, first person shooter, arena game. So this is the warrior class. Ill update this thread with more work as I finish more! Thanks for stopping by.

055_max.jpg046_max.jpg

Replies

• AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Hey nice work.
    Is he supposed to be an early level character?
    My crit would be that if he is he looks ok he is fairly simple which points to an inexperienced version of the character.
    A little variation on the colors on clothing especially the pants would be nice.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Very cool character, i like his colors :)
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Give him some battle scars! he looks great
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :) , and yes hes supposed to be an early level character. My goal was to make him feel like hes level 25 in a typical MMO game. Thanks for the crit, ill be posting more classes here as they get finished.
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, so here is the Assassin class. Same style, typical starting set gear. This is what you would play when you choose a dagger class for our game :D Hope you like it as always crits are welcome. Its rendered in marmoset 8,300 triangles including both weapons.

237_max.jpg

531_max.jpg
  • Jigsaw3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great so far man (: Cant wait to see what else you make
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man :) the mage class is up next i should have renders out pretty soon :)
  • Prism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    assassin looks great in particular. I am looking forward to seeing more of this game !.
  • atomicguppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I LOVE the warrior. I really want to take him and run around with him in game. Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see the mage!
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    May I ask, what is this sweet looking game?
  • ripper351
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ripper351 polycounter lvl 5
    The assassin's shoulders seem a bit large to me, and also his cape doesn't look realistic. Especially from the behind angle, it just looks like a miniature cape. Try add some creases in the texture to make it not look so plain of a cape.
    Just my opinion :)
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks a lot.. These characters are for a game I am working on with a few friends in Unity. Eventually we want to go to kickstarter once we get about as far along as we can without funding. We don't currently have a name or anything yet but if I had to sum up the vision for the game imagine playing these characters like old school counterstrike. with some magic and abilities as opposed to bullets and rifles. Thats the feel were going for. I wish I had more info to give you but its still in its very very infant stages of production.

I just wanted to start sharing some character work to see what kind of response the characters were drawing.

Thanks for the feedback Ripper351. I did a quick hack job on the cape posed in zbrush because in game there will be cloth tech and these are just marmoset renders. But I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. Thanks guys!
  • Tw17ch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tw17ch polycounter lvl 10
    Love the work man, looks great, and I love the textures :) Keep up the good work can't wait to see more characters down the line!!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you going to create female characters as well? Not all players are male, nor do all male players want to look at a male butt for hours at a time..
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tw17ch, glad your digging it, and yes DWalker, I am going to be making female version of all the classes. After the male versions are done I will probably change gears and do some environment grayboxing type work and then move on to female versions.

I agree.. i dont want to to look at male butt for hours either :D

Here are some marmoset renders of the mage class! Up next is the ranger.. but i havent even started so it will be a good week or 2 before I have anything to show. I could show some WIP stuff if you guys are interested in seeing that stuff.

787_max.jpg

189_large.jpg

553_large.jpg
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Rad man! Love the art style you guys are goin with. Will be watching!
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Nate, please do, we may need some help eventually when things get further along :D
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, so a lot of you guys have been digging the characters so far so I thought I would update with some work in progress images for the ranger class. It shed some light on my process and let me hear some feedback in the design / concept stage as well :D

So I start from this very rough basemesh. I normally wouldn't post it but I think its important to understand the difference between game art and high poly sculpture. I am guilty of getting lost in a sculpt and detailing for way too long. But because I know my end product is a low rez game model I don't need much to start. And I only need to sculpt what I want a normal map for. This base mesh is more or less a hangar for the armor.

zdWsmjW.jpg

I extract pretty much everything and use dynamesh to come up with what I think will be a cool design that says Ranger but also fits in with the visual style of the other characters. This is where I am at now. Next I will go into modelling and create clean geometry which I will do the final sculpt on and lastly retop. I will post more pics as I get there to show you what I mean. Thanks!

7KJ976n.jpg
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another update I cleaned up the geo and the sculpt a bit and have done a real loose paint over in photoshop for color breaks etc. It should be easier to see where this is going now. From here I will detail / refine the sculpt before retopping and painting.

alrFd8j.jpg
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALrighty.. so made a few changes and polished some of the forms.. here is a bpr render of the high poly. colors aren't final but its getting super close. I still have to detail it and do his bow. Crits always welcome :D

sjKcor3.jpg?1?9135
  • Yelle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yelle triangle
    It's really cool of you to provide a step-by-step.
    Your work looks nice too! I have to agree with you that sometimes people can't differentiate between a sculpt meant for a game and one that's meant as a sculpture.
    Keep it up!
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Yelle :) Here is the final high poly for the ranger. I have the lowrez finished and have it all baked out too but I will post that after I finish the painting :) still gotta design and model his bow as well.

Youll notice too I went through several variations of his hat until I was happy with something kind of basic but still cool enough. Classic Beanie op

740_max.jpg
  • chudork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chudork polycounter lvl 8
    awesome models, are these handpainted?
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you chudork! Yea their all hand painted, I can post some texture process shots too if your interested, the map bakes from xnormal serve as a pretty great starting place to paint from
  • TheodorUrhed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheodorUrhed polycounter lvl 4
    Very cool characters!

I might be a bit late critiquing the Warrior but it really bugs me how thick that belt is, makes it look very loose and bulky, the Ranger has a similar problem, the belt just seems to be floating there. Maybe having the cloth around being affected and having the belt make an indentation in the form would help.

I really like the Wizard but his hat also feels a bit thick n bulky, especially the base.

I agree with what's been said about the assasins shoulderpads, they're looking a bit big, or his neck is too short.

With that said, they all look pretty darn great, the style reminds me of Orcs Must Die!, which certainly is not a bad thing :P

Keep up the great work!
  • chudork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    texture process shots would be awesome :D
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright Chudork, ill hook you up :) and TheodorUrhed thanks man, all very valid criticism. I will carry that into the next set of armor sets for these guys .. and girls too!

were working on solidifying a game name from there we will start an indiedb.com page / facebook ill post a link here as things progress and hopefully i can show you guys some game footage soon. We really need an animator though :(
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, finished the ranger and rendered him out and even put together a quick tutorial thing for Chudork and anyone else that it could help. After you see it you see theres nothing at all special about it haha

659_max.jpg

582_max.jpg

zIlivSQ.jpg

eOXbIMa.jpg

let me know if any of the painting stuff needs clarifying.
  • Onmioji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Onmioji polycounter lvl 8
    Nice characters. If you'll add more little details, they can become better.
  • chudork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for posting the texturing process :D, question though, what is a bent normal map and what is the difference from a regular normal map?
  • cleankid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, we got a work in progress development blog going for our game. Right now its just has some of the characters screen shots but Ill post some of the in game shots as well. Still so much work to do! Theres a couple more screen shots on our blog www.overpowergame.com

tumblr_n3h67ld6xM1rd0tvao1_1280.jpg

Hey thanks Onmioji! And Chudork .. thats a good question. .I honestly dont know, Its an option in Xnormal, I googled it the answer is very technical. I only use a specific channel from it to help light my textures. If you bake one, look at the way the lighting is coming from in all the channels. Usually theres a top down, front back, and left right lighting source. Grab the correct channel you need for your prop / character and overlay it over your AO and see what it looks like :D