Home General Discussion

UDK Store?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
Is there a UDK store for game assets; something similar to the Unity store?

I thought I remember reading it somewhere but my searches have come up empty.

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    No... Nothing Officially Sanctioned by Epic at least...
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Unreal Engine 4 will have something along those lines, but not UDK.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    There is a store, it's called 'imagination' it's currency is 'hardwork'. :D

I didn't know that about UE4, sounds interesting :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    The UE4 Launcher has a Marketplace currently, where we are releasing content for download and use. The plan is to allow users to submit content in the future!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    That is a pretty awesome move, sounds like it's going to be a good time to be a freelancer. I wonder how the submissions will compare to the Unity asset store as that is one of the biggest reasons to pick Unity over any other popular game engine at the moment, in my opinion.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    It'd be nice if Crytek did something similar too... (are you reading this Crytek :) -Crydev Marketplace! Make it happen! :)

I always find that buying a model off a site like TurboSquid, or what have you, tends to be a bit of a barrier for the modder. A lot of the time they don't have the 3d package to export the models properly. Or, they just don't know how...

Now I'm just spouting out ideas:
    But wouldn't it be great if these SDK engines had a free 3d model viewer. View the model, then decide to purchase.
    Same goes for just plain materials, animations, fx etc.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    It'd be cool if it was a built in feature but I'm sure content creators can just make a video of the asset, or in the case of Unity, just make a scene with the asset and release it as a webplayer demo.

Personally, I'm more curious to see what this will mean for indie games. I can already imagine the plethora of AAA quality code/blueprint assets on the UE4 marketplace.

One of the biggest turnoffs of UDK in my opinion was the fact that in order to make an actual game, you needed to have a pretty high understanding of technical knowledge outside of art. Unity won this battle because with just a few small purchases on the asset store, you could have fully functional AI systems, high quality shaders, awesome GUI tools, animation tools, and even some cool features related to gameplay like fully dynamic weather/skies, etc. I can't wait to see where this takes the future of our games.

Gotta love Epic for being awesome!