Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Future student asks for advice

Patrikwindahl
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Patrikwindahl polycounter lvl 9
Hi! I will be applying for a 3D-school here in Sweden that require work samples when applying. At the moment i have 4 pieces that I consider done and that im ready to show. I would like to hear from you what I should improve to maximize the quality of my work. I'm all self taught so I hope to get accepted at this school and to learn to make great game art!

Color, Normal, Specular, Gloss
hMFBjqj.jpg

Color
Odz2Dx2.jpg

none
08sSPUB.jpg

Color
DSJmojd.jpg

:)

Replies

• jtpup0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything looks awesome, I don't know if it's necessary to use picture as backdrops... and the only thing that worries me for you is there is no organism present; so I'd suggest making an organism to show you are well rounded.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I don't know what the admission standards are like, but it looks good enough. I'd just make more stuff to show, what's the deadline?
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Is it the Game Assembly? I have a friend who went there, seems like a very good school (he went straight into a Ubisoft internship). Looks like a pretty good level to be starting from to me but I could ask what my friend thinks if it is the same school.
  • Patrikwindahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jtpup0 wrote: »
    Everything looks awesome, I don't know if it's necessary to use picture as backdrops... and the only thing that worries me for you is there is no organism present; so I'd suggest making an organism to show you are well rounded.

Thanks! The images backdrops comes from Toolbag 2. I really liked the presentation by Jeff http://www.environmentartist.com/ so I decided to show my work in the same way :)
  • Patrikwindahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    komaokc wrote: »
    I don't know what the admission standards are like, but it looks good enough. I'd just make more stuff to show, what's the deadline?

I'm planning on making two small scenes, one realistic and one stylized. The deadline is May 15th
  • Patrikwindahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard wrote: »
    Is it the Game Assembly? I have a friend who went there, seems like a very good school (he went straight into a Ubisoft internship). Looks like a pretty good level to be starting from to me but I could ask what my friend thinks if it is the same school.

The school is Future Games in Stockholm :) It would be great if you could check with him!
  • zacvrono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zacvrono polycounter lvl 4
    I think adding some more highlights, and some dents on the gun wood would look good. you have some pretty decent props though for just trying to get into school, I think you will get in no problem :)HStsW9p.png
  • Patrikwindahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zacvrono wrote: »
    I think adding some more highlights, and some dents on the gun wood would look good. you have some pretty decent props though for just trying to get into school, I think you will get in no problem :)HStsW9p.png

Thanks a lot! I'll definatley look into painting in more wear on the gun!
  • TheodorUrhed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheodorUrhed polycounter lvl 4
    I'm currently a student at The Game Assembly and they mostly take in people with strong 2d skills, as the 3D is taught at school. With that said, there are a few in the class who got in purely on a 3d-portfolio.

So it's definitely not a sure shot, I'm afraid. I think the personal letter weighs quite heavily as well as the interview, of course.

There is at least one in the class now who's gone to Future Games, so take that as you will.

Good luck tho! :P
  • Patrikwindahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently a student at The Game Assembly and they mostly take in people with strong 2d skills, as the 3D is taught at school. With that said, there are a few in the class who got in purely on a 3d-portfolio.

So it's definitely not a sure shot, I'm afraid. I think the personal letter weighs quite heavily as well as the interview, of course.

There is at least one in the class now who's gone to Future Games, so take that as you will.

Good luck tho! :P

Thanks for the insight :) these are the instructions for applying for Future Games

· The samples should consist of digital images or videos of one or several of the categories below:

– 3D art
    – Tech art / scripting
    – Conceptart / other 2d related art
    · You may add a maximum of 10 work samples / images in a PDF Document. These images / videos can show anything that you think demonstrates your talent for 3D game art.

· If you have a video or videos of your work these are to be uploaded to Youtube or Vimeo, and a link to the video is to be added to the pdf document.

· 3D skills are not mandatory but are greatly preferred.
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5

This is simply just wrong, I'm a last year student currently working at Ubisoft Massive and when I applied I was more heavily focused towards 3D.
    It's true that the school teaches 2d the first year and it may seem it focused towards it, but this is first and foremost a 3D-school and everything the second year will be more focused towards modeling :)

But I would gladly recommend The Game assembly, grand school with a close collabaration with Ubisoft/Massive, I think so far 47 people from the school is currently working at Massive. Future games have a collab with Dice but last rumour I heard Dice are expanding their collabarition with more schools.

If you have any questions regarding The Game assembly send me a mail :)

P.s. Oh by the way, the art is looking wonderful! After school you'll be wicked d.s