Home Technical Talk

texturing workflow in Softimage XSI

hi,
i am still learning Softimage XSI and now i can create simple models. But i see that texturing is more complicated.
I couldn't find good and simple tutorials about it.

It will be very nice if someone can tell me about texturing workflow in this program.
I am interested in how to texture creatures like animal, aliens, trolls, etc.

is it necessary to create many sub-projection for each part of body? which type of projection is best for this kind of creature?

Thanks in advance,
Caroline

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    So I don't think this is the best time to be learning Softimage... Autodesk is killing it and is going to stop support soon. With that said Digital Tutors has a bunch of tutorials for Softimage that might be worth looking into. If you want a replacement program to look into Modo and Blender both have texturing features built into their 3D modeling package.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Using sub-projections to create your UV islands (along with manually sewing them together) gives you the most control over the UVs, but it's also an older and slower workflow. I still use it for really simple / low poly models, but for organic models with higher polygon counts I go for the built in Unfold3d plugin instead.
    There's also the Unique UVs option which will instantly create UVs with an even density, based on angles. This can make quick work out of more planar models.
  • tinyfrozenland
    BARDLER, thank you for this information, so i will try other 3d program,

cryid, thank you for reply too :)
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    For personal stuff just use XSI if it suits you, no point jumping on inferior alternatives. If you want to find a job than learn Maya (Blender/Modo are just a waste of time in this case).

For UV's try UV Layout + little addon here to send models to UV Layout, works like a charm.
  • tinyfrozenland
    thanks for your advice, Nox, in the future i am going to find a job in 3d graphics. In job advertisement i often see 3ds max or Maya requirements, so i will choose one of them.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox wrote: »
    (Blender/Modo are just a waste of time in this case).

Riggggggggt...... If you can make good art, they don't care what you did it in.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    modo is actully getting some pretty heavy use as a pure modeling application.

and really no one gives a fuck what app you made something in, as long as you got the skills.

The small learning curve of learning a new 3d package, would take maybe a week to overcome, but you cant teach someone to model well in a week.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    modo is actully getting some pretty heavy use as a pure modeling application.

and really no one gives a fuck what app you made something in, as long as you got the skills.

The small learning curve of learning a new 3d package, would take maybe a week to overcome, but you cant teach someone to model well in a week.

This is better advice than what Nox said. I try not to call people out on the forum, but that was such bad advice I hope nobody thinks to follow it.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Not to mention Modo is used at a few studios, I remember it was being used on God of War on the PSP a while back too. Not to mention Blender has control presets to resemble 3ds max or Maya closer, meaning if you can't get the autodesk software for some reason it will ease the transition later on better.