Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Sci-fi Ship Interior

Started working on a new project to learn UE4 and to practice PBR within engine. Very early days but hopefully this thread will spur me on to work when i can.
FL_Hex_Data_examplemat.png
FL_Hex_Data_exampletexture.png
Currently using RGBA material for Metallic, Roughness, Mask and Ambient Occlusion. Not currently using mask so may reduce this down.
Tileables1.pngInGame+Progress1.png
Aiming on creating a playable environment within a small section of a space ship. Starting with this server esc room.

Crits & Comments Welcome.

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    looking nice so far. one question I've had with UE4 is I heard about the auto-created cubemap or environment image? I see you're reflecting the checker walls on your floor panels. Did you have to set up anything for that to happen? Are those BSP walls and if they weren't would you have to set up any cubemap or image based reflection planes in order to get proper reflections in UE4? Also do you know where the auto-generated reflections are placed? What if you had multiple rooms that all looked different, how would UE4 know what to generate and reflect?
  • maxmead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't do anything in particular with the reflections, they were generated automatically if the surface is reflective enough. I think there like a better version of the screen space reflection you can get in cryengine. So no saved maps as far as i can see. They're also angle dependent so if you at a grazing angle you get more reflection.
    They are bsp geometry but i checked and they work the same as if it were a static mesh.
  • maxmead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What i said above is true, but doing some more research you can put in ReflectionCaptureActors. These can be box or spherical projection of the environment. Much like in cryengine. These work really well and will capture more detail. They have an area of influence and as far as i can see are applied automatically to objects in its sphere of influence.
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/LightingAndShadows/ReflectionEnvironment/index.html
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    awesome thank you for the information, good stuff to know.
  • Hotrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks very good, i will follow the evolution of this thread for sure.
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    If you want to push it a bit further you could make the surface behind the grid in another texture, and display it with a parralaxe effect, like if it was 10 cm behind the small grid.
    The surface would be flat but it would look like there really is some depth between the grid and the other surface under it.
    It is quite easy to do, just use a mask and some linear interpolate to display the second texture in the holes of the grid, and in the uv channel of the 'under' surface you plug-in a bumpoffset with a negative scalar value as height.