Home General Discussion

Yet more Sony layoffs!

Ark
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ark polycounter lvl 11
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/driveclub/news/evolution_studios_guerrilla_cambridge_and_sce_london_studio_hit_by_layoffs.html

Even with the PS4 selling well, who does Sony think will make games for there system with no first party devs? Another hint that AAA is failing.

Best of luck to those affected.

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Ark wrote: »
    Another hint that AAA is failing.

Cool bro, see you at the Destiny launch.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am guessing some of it has to do with Drive Club getting pushed way back. Best of luck to all of those affected hope you find something new soon. Think I saw on twitter that creative assembly are looking for artists.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Torch wrote: »
    Cool bro, see you at the Destiny launch.
    So you really think AAA is changing for the better?
  • MichaelElphick
    Gah looks like layoffs are hitting europe now, brilliant :(

Previously worked at Guerrilla Cambridge too.

Sorry to all those affected.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    He's pointing out that not all AAA titles are dead
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Has there been a tally on how many layoffs have happened this year?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator

Good question. I don't think AAA (or the future of) is as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. There are a fair few layoffs happening (the recent situation with Irrational being a good example,) but there's also a lot of promising titles coming up - the Division, The Order: 1886, Shadow of Mordor to name a few. The reason I posted was that I hear a lot about how the future of AAA is doomed on a constant basis, when I personally think that's a little over the top.

I guess its difficult to say what is AAA and Indie now as the difference between both is becoming less and less apparent - very small teams able to output titles with amazing quality. I'm very interested to see how these small teams do with the next-gen tech.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    AAA, as in studios that spend in the 20-50 million dollar range to make a game that sells 4 million copies, and then has layoffs...this is what people mean I think when they say AAA is dying. And as for the The Order, its going to take a serious amount of sales to keep them afloat once that game launches. I mean, look at Crystal Dynamics and Tomb Raider...really great game with solid sales...and layoffs. That's just not a good sign for AAA games. That is why it's good to see the industry shifting towards indie and smaller teams so that you can keep good teams together and not have layoffs if a game does well but not CRAZY GOOD.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Correct me if I am wrong but should AAA not be looking towards hiring less people in the first place so having smaller teams but stable ones instead of bulking up too much in the height of production.

A lot of problems with AAA development for sure but I don't buy it when people say its about to disappear.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    The main problem is managing AAA teams is insanely difficult. Only a handful of places do it right...Naughty Dog, Ubisoft Assassins Creed team, Bioware Mass Effect come to mind. Usually the wrong people are in the wrong positions of management and that just creates failure from the top down. A lot of studios just think throwing more money and more developers at the problem will solve it when clearly decades of failure show that is not the case. AAA won't disappear because there is a market for those games...everyone wants to play next gen games and is willing to pay top dollar for them. So saying they will disappear completely is naive and not true. I just think its going to be harder to get jobs in AAA games because less studios will be willing to take the financial risks to make them when they can make smaller games and still make money with less overhead.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    With some of the staggering sales numbers of a few recently released games, I don't think AAA is going anywhere. But I do feel like things are really heading to the hollywood vfx model of hiring employees. Which really sucks if you want any type of stability in your life, and the games industry is already super unstable.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I'd say it's not changing at all. AAA is the same as it's always been. It's not going anywhere either.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    slosh wrote: »
    ...everyone wants to play next gen games and is willing to pay top dollar for them.

Who exactly wants to pay top dollar for video games? NES games retailed for $60.00 USD in 1990, and we are still selling video games at the same price over 20 years later regardless of inflation or ballooning development costs. At some point this widening disconnect between consumer expectation and developer cost won't make business sense anymore.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I'd say it's not changing at all. AAA is the same as it's always been. It's not going anywhere either.

But it's not improving either, and AAA studios aren't exactly pooping up at the rate at with the ones are being shut down.
    All the layoffs and studios shutting down, if this keeps it course over the next few years, I think they will be going somewhere then!
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Best of luck to all those affected.

This industry is project based. The media likes to pretend it's not, but it is. Sometimes you're kept on for the next project, sometimes you're let go. If it's badly managed, the project fails and everyone goes. It sounds like two of the studios mentioned had finished major projects in the last six months, with the third being poorly managed. (Hence the delays.)

AAA will always be around, but because the major publicly available engines are targeting indies, and since digital distribution isn't fringe anymore, it wont be the Mecca of the industry it is now. I think the average developer will seek work at a mid-sized studio, probably formed from a successful indie, that does slightly smaller and more manageable projects. If a situation comes up where they can work on a AAA title than great, but it wont be worth jeopardizing your lifestyle to enter an even less stable part of the industry.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    Equanim wrote: »
    Best of luck to all those affected.

This industry is project based. The media likes to pretend it's not, but it is. Sometimes you're kept on for the next project, sometimes you're let go. If it's badly managed, the project fails and everyone goes. It sounds like two of the studios mentioned had finished major projects in the last six months, with the third being poorly managed. (Hence the delays.)

AAA will always be around, but because the major publicly available engines are targeting indies, and since digital distribution isn't fringe anymore, it wont be the Mecca of the industry it is now. I think the average developer will seek work at a mid-sized studio, probably formed from a successful indie, that does slightly smaller and more manageable projects. If a situation comes up where they can work on a AAA title than great, but it wont be worth jeopardizing your lifestyle to enter an even less stable part of the industry.

wow! someone with common sense, that's so crazy and rare to see on this forum. i cant comment on anything at sony, i work here, but its totally not a big bad company being a big meanie to the poor people that make games.
    you have a project, you work on the project, if project doesn't meet the scope of your funding, or doesn't live up to standards then it gets cancelled unless you can negotiate a new budget and or contract. there are so many people that can cause this to happen and its almost never the big bad company, its the people in charge of budgeting funding, its the creative director not pulling through, or not being very creative, its the team not delivering things on time or up to a quality level expected, its heads of studios and marketing pissing away capital on cocaine and hookers, its artists who cant keep up with the standards set by the industry, its designers failing to make something fun. its engineers that cant keep a game running at a decent frame-rate, stop blaming the people putting up the cash to fund big ideas and start blaming the people responsible for not coming through on a contractual agreement.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    "Yet more Sony layoffs!"

ugh, don't get so excited
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    @arshlevon - i get the feeling that you are embracing the corporate culture that promotes all this layoff, which is fine if you want to be a CEO one day but do you really think that no blame can be put on general greed of CEO's and how they just push profit beyond sustainability and the moment that profit fall tiny short of their high expectation they have to do a layoff ?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    If you got into this industry for stability your gonna have a bad time.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Unreal 4 for 20 bucks, tons of talented studio layoffs, next gen consoles with few good titles.

I actually know there's going to be some turbulence but I think its fucking fantastic, these companies aren't worth shit these days, sure they pay a "stable" wage but these studios are becoming less and less stable, but there is hope! we can finally reclaim our talents and skills and produce meaningful products, away from the men in suits who say why can't our game be like wow, or we should be making a flappy bird clone...

Now it seems the execs think they can just use and abuse us hire and fire, but at last we can finally reclaim our culture, and make meaningful games and sell them off the back of our own labour.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eu9GfHCpVo"]Terence McKenna - Reclaim your mind - YouTube[/ame]
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    MM wrote: »
    @arshlevon - i get the feeling that you are embracing the corporate culture that promotes all this layoff, which is fine if you want to be a CEO one day but do you really think that no blame can be put on general greed of CEO's and how they just push profit beyond sustainability and the moment that profit fall tiny short of their high expectation they have to do a layoff ?

not at all, i am pretty indifferent of whether i work for a corporation or a small indie studio, i have done both, but most people just assume that these companies are going through layoffs because someone greedy is not making enough money, its not the case.

lets say my friend asks me to borrow 20 bucks because he needs the money to buy materials to start a lemonade stand and i can have a portion of the lemonade profits, well he finds out that he doesn't know how to build the stand and needs to hire a builder so actually he needs 40 dollars not 20, i say okay, but the builder actually sucks and the stand falls down so i have to pay more to hire another builder, but then he realizes that nobody is going to know about the stand so he needs 80 dollars for free samples to promote the stand and money to print flyers. after giving him 4 times the amount he said he needed i taste the lemonade and it tastes like crap and is brown and smells bad. i will not be giving him anymore money for his lemonade dreams, sorry if he is out of work, nothing personal, but i cant just keep giving him money hand over fist for no reason.

with a large company we are not talking about the difference between 20 and 80 dollars, we are talking about 40 to 100 million. so your telling me if a company puts up 50 million to fund a project, and they cant deliver then they should just be nice and give the studio 80 million more because they couldn't do what they said they were going to with the money they were given?? if there is a moral obligation to the employees its not coming from the people giving out the funding, its coming from the people in the studio not doing what they were suppose to with the money they were given. you cant survive as a company if you just keep giving all your money away to be nice, if you do eventually its not going to be 100 layoffs here or there, its going to be 100,000 layoffs and no company to start new teams and spawn new companies.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    yes, that absolutely makes sense financially and obviously could easily result in layoff but i am not really talking about companies taking loss. i am talking about companies having layoffs even after making profit. that seems to be the trend now days. in order to avoid layoffs you not only have to make profit, but you have to make big profit. that makes sense to you ?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    You guys are both right.
    Autocon wrote: »
    If you got into this industry for stability your gonna have a bad time.
    Now it seems the execs think they can just use and abuse us hire and fire, but at last we can finally reclaim our culture, and make meaningful games and sell them off the back of our own labour.

Terence McKenna - Reclaim your mind - YouTube

Sry for the bad news folks hope all is well and perhaps you start your own company.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
  • Pravely
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope this will get better sooner or later.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    First, good luck to all those affected. Wish I could help out but I don't know anyone across the pond :(

Seems like there's a lot of people who are just anti corporate. It's easy get why and I think with a lot of people under 45 (which I bet a good number of people on the forum are) have that mentality. I don't agree with lots of it, but I understand it and corporate greed is a real thing. Just go ask the US Government why most corporations don't pay the amount of tax they should (or any taxes at all).

But arshlevon and his example is completely spot on. That's how it works and Sony is no different. Something to keep in mind about Sony too is that even though the PS4 is doing very well overall, it might be sold at a loss since most home consoles were sold at losses previously. Sony also as an overall large company is in the middle of making cuts everywhere to return to being fully profitable. Hard to pay people when you don't make a profit. Driveclub is a mess and Gorilla Cambridge and SCE Liverpool were coming off of projects (I think) so you get that VFX model kicking in too.

It's going to get harder and harder to survive at a AAA studio for a while it seems. February was a bad month and March has turned into another bad month too. Seriously, good luck everyone!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Gorilla Cambridge and SCE Liverpool were coming off of projects (I think) so you get that VFX model kicking in too.

Being a CG orientated forum, I see this comparison a lot. I'd like to remind people that most of these games studios that we're hearing about are not an outsourcer like VFX companies; they are usually internal studios within a larger entity. This is an important distinction in that whilst an outsourcer must work on a project-to-project basis as their services are demanded, an internal studio is perfectly capable of planning ahead and ensuring that there is an appropriate project for staff to move across to as and when their skills are required (there may always be one or two people who are lost in this transition). The only reason this doesn't happen is because of how these studios are managed, and often how it is externally managed.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Who exactly wants to pay top dollar for video games? NES games retailed for $60.00 USD in 1990, and we are still selling video games at the same price over 20 years later regardless of inflation or ballooning development costs. At some point this widening disconnect between consumer expectation and developer cost won't make business sense anymore.

The above is constantly spouted, yet does not take into account supply and demand. The audience for games has grown significantly since the 1990s across the world. So this I believe offsets your points above. Dont forget there was the cost of makimg the physical cartridges in the 90s.

Edit: Post job openings EU peoplez.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    How come we done see threads about the companies that are hiring?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    oXYnary wrote: »
    The above is constantly spouted, yet does not take into account supply and demand. The audience for games has grown significantly since the 1990s across the world. So this I believe offsets your points above. Dont forget there was the cost of makimg the physical cartridges in the 90s.

Yes, this is true. I didn't respond with it this time around though as I don't have my usual array of numbers to back myself up with! Some games now ship as many as 10 million copies - it's an economy of scale.
    whats_true wrote: »
    How come we done see threads about the companies that are hiring?

..because they live in the recruitment forums! ;)
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    oXYnary wrote: »

I agree that there are plenty of variables that keep the price point where it is, and surely consumer expectation is one of them. My point is mainly that gamers typically want even lower prices and if you raised the price to $70-80 for some of these high budget AAA games that require massive profit to be considered a success, people wouldn't buy.
  • Ben Apuna
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Rockstar North are looking for people in a range of fields, hit up our jobs site.