Home Technical Talk

Character Retopo HELP ( Noob question )

manilamerc
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys I'm working on this character with a bunch of subtools and I'm not sure on the best way to approach the retopolization. For example I have a boot that's divided up into a bunch of sbutools. I want to know how people usually retopo boots. Here's what I got.

9RQlgZS.jpg

Do people usually retop the laces together or seperate? Or the bottom of the shoe, is that separate as well or together?

Here I have the character's body with his accessories. Not sure how I would approach retopo here. You can see on the red markings what I'm confused on

t7MZ6QI.jpg

Replies

• nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I would do the entire boot together. Laces and all. Unless you have a game where you can customize your shoe laces :) Unless you are going to have variations on your boots I would just retopo them as apart of the legs.

I'd do the buckles as apart of the body. The bullets... egh could go ether way. Personally I would do them as apart of the body. Otherwise they may poke thru the chest when animated which is a pet peeve of mine.

I would also do the goggles as a part of the head however I would separate out the glass on them so that you apply a glass type material to them.

A few things I think about when deciding if a mesh should be separate or not are:
    - Does this part need a different material?
    - Can I save UV space by repeating this element? OR Does this element need extra UV space?
    - Does this part have any special animation requirements? Hair, cloaks, weapons that need to giggle?
    - Will this part be customizeable or have variations?
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was very informative. Thank you
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any other suggestions people?
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    The questions you are asking would be answered by the team you work with. If the game needs things separate, then you should keep them separate and retopo them according.
    Also in most cases, it's best to retopo the inside and not just a shell of it (speaking from experience).

If this is a personal project, it's really up to you. You have the progress saved, so you can freely explore what the best result will be for you.

If your using zBrush4R6, you probably won't need to retopo by hand, zRemesher is the shit.

Characters, especially if it's a main character or interactive npc, are the bulk of assets, they're meant to look good first and be optimal second.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So with Zremesher I could retopo and use that for making normal maps? Would I just duplicate it and use zremesher?
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair wrote: »
    If your using zBrush4R6, you probably won't need to retopo by hand, zRemesher is the shit.

Characters, especially if it's a main character or interactive npc, are the bulk of assets, they're meant to look good first and be optimal second.

Whoa whoa hold on there. Not to be argumentative but those are some pretty dogmatic statements. Yes Zremesher is great but it may not be the best tool for a beginner to use without understanding the basics of retopo and topology in general.

I'd also have to disagree with the second statement. Characters should look good AND be optimal. It's not really a priority; it's a balance.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know how to retopo I was just wondering what subtools should be merged and which ones kept seperate. Researching Zremesher I found imo is great for redoing the topology in the sculpting process but not for retopologizing for animation. However, I could be wrong... maybe I'm missing setting for a perfect animation retopology. But playing around with Zremesher I couldn't get a perfect animation retopology for the face.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    It really depends on fidelity at this point. If it's supposed to be of the same quality as uncharted you are going to want a lot of fidelity. I would retopo all of the belts separately and make the buckle the same mesh as there isn't that much silhouette change. I would retopo the bullets with the strap, but not the belt. I would also make the goggles separate. Any bag I would make separate. Remember though more pieces means higher chance of clipping (generally).

Edit: Also note the boots of a character are almost never going to be seen up close. So making them all one piece makes perfect sense. Also you can probably use less geo in that area. Not a ton less, but less.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys I'm done my retopo for the most part I just need to duplicate some objects. Altogether my character is around 17.000 tri's. Tell me if something seems off, inconsistent, not necessary, etc. I haven't touched the retopo stage in a while due to the Zbrush anatomy studies.

c5gn8dC.jpg

uXqLiLh.jpg

vfRgk9J.jpg

mF9D3eW.jpg
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and I tried doing the bullets with the strap and here are the results when I put normal map on. I honestly think it looks silly. What do you guys think?

LgHescU.jpg