Home Technical Talk

colt 1903 modeling help

I'm not sure if this should be posted here, so pls lmk and I will repost if needed.

I've been working on this project, a colt 1903 pocket hammerless on and off for a while. I got so into it that I modeled all the internal parts. Everything is there. I then animated the cocking and firing of the gun and all the parts moved properly in conjunction with one another. Doing this taught me a lot about firearm operation. I have always had a deep respect for firearm engineering, and this project only deepened it. I would really like to finish this and make some worthy beauty shots, but I am having some trouble with some of the modeling and the shading in the renders subsequently.
Here is the weapon rendered in glass:
NnCw9Zg.jpg
here is the wire:
eP3oY8r.jpg
There are some really ugly terminus' there and ugly polys. I let those slide since I was using smooth groups, and they did not affect the shading. Once I add support loops on the receiver I will have to fix that. Any suggestions there will be helpful and much appreciated.
The biggest problem I'm having is when I turbo smooth the slide. When I do this the shading on the top curve of the slide gets really ugly like so:
qGoEJfz.jpg
even on the other side where that little hole is not making verts to mess with the shading:
IIgoI2D.jpg
here is the wire frame:
amSf7uO.jpg
here is the same viewport view without the turbo smoothing:
tMcoA1m.jpg
Here is the low poly in the front view. the top makes a nice curve:
KuPwByd.jpg
but when it's smoothed, you can see the planes in the top curve:
brrnCy8.jpg
I'd really like to get this looking good, so any suggestions and help would be very welcome!
I am also wondering about the serrations on the slide... Should I put support looks around all the serrations, or is the edge on those so tiny that it is pretty much insignificant in the end?
fOFz0g0.jpg

Replies