Home Technical Talk

Sub-D modeling workflow?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
I have a question about Sub-D modeling.

Anybody who goes about this workflow; do you usually start with the high poly Sub-D model first, then retopo it?

Or do you usually start with the low poly, then work on making that into the high poly sub-D'd model?

Any tips or tricks, workflow ideas?

Replies

• maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Usually what i do and find it better to do is make a blockout with very basic geo like cages nad cylinders to block stuff out. Then i do a detail pass on all that and continue working the proportions, then i hp them, copy my hp and start low polying it.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    maxivz wrote: »
    Usually what i do and find it better to do is make a blockout with very basic geo like cages nad cylinders to block stuff out. Then i do a detail pass on all that and continue working the proportions, then i hp them, copy my hp and start low polying it.

What's your method for LPing stuff? Do you retopo or do you just delete edge loops etc?
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Depends on the model. Most hard surface stuff you can remove support edges from the high poly, weld verts, ect and get a pretty good low. If it was a sculpted mesh, you would be best served to retopo the mesh. There are many automated tools for automatically retopologizing objects now, but nothing wrong with doing it by hand.