Home General Discussion

GooCreate/GooEngine open beta

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
modebloggen polycounter lvl 9
Hello Polycount!
Full disclosure, I'm an intern at Goo Technologies so this post will be biased. It's not my intention to make an ad out of this though, just thought I would inform everyone!
Copy paste from the press release: "Goo Create empowers people to create interactive, rich web graphics with unprecedented smoothness and sophistication. Professional, high-end 3D visualizations can finally be created and published online using HTML5, without any downloads or plug-ins, all accessible for any device supporting WebGL in HTML5."

Basically, make real time interactive 3D work in your browser.

http://www.gootechnologies.com/ is where its at, I hope you guys and gals have the time to try it out!=)

EDIT: Now with scripting!

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    haha, ad or not, that's pretty impressive. I'm too busy at the moment, dig very deep into this, but I'm curious what it can export (if anything) and I'm curious to see how people will apply this.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    OK, I absolutely love that little 3D guy following the mouse pointer on the main page. Awesome throwback to the pointless yet fun MacOS and Win widgets from the 90s :)

The visual programming feature looks very interesting. How does it compare to Playmaker ? And with the engine being browser-based, does it provide a simple way to share a project with another person for troubleshooting and fixes ? That would be really awesome ...
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    This looks very interesting. Will sign up for the Beta. Like Pior asked I would like to hear more on the visual programming.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    You certainly got our programmers interested.. ;)
  • modebloggen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys!
    notman: I could probably mention that it was my own initiative to post this here, there is no management involved. But really, I'll gladly delete the thread if it's too ad-y! What kind of exporting do you mean?

pior, Fiori: I haven't used Playmaker myself, so I can't really relate to it... But being a graphics guy, I'm glad for the visual programming (I'm assuming this is the state machine we are talking about). It works rather nice actually, at least for basic functions such as movement and crude interaction. But to be completely honest, it's not enough for making a full on game yet.
    Sharing projects with other people is super easy. You simply copy and paste the url!

If there is any interest, I could ask if I'm allowed to share a couple of projects with you tomorrow. Might be helpful for getting a grasp of how things work.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Do you guys have any kind of fallback option for older browsers? That's pretty much the most important thing to me. I do like the idea of working within native HTML5, but as a parttime webdev I can't keep myself from thinking about backwards compatibility.

Right now your homepage looks like this in an older browser:
    Screenshot%202014-03-19%2002.57.33.png

Which is not too great. I believe other systems like SketchFab and P3D have some form of image fallback.
  • modebloggen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snyder: As of now, there's no support for older browsers. The way I understood it, other services use threejs which can display images, but then it's super slow(?). There is however something coming later this week, I'll be sure to update when that is released!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Hi guys!
    notman: I could probably mention that it was my own initiative to post this here, there is no management involved. But really, I'll gladly delete the thread if it's too ad-y! What kind of exporting do you mean?
    I was just teasing you on the ad thing... There's a difference between introducing a product, and selling a product. You're introducing the product, which just makes us aware of it, people may benefit from it (which is good). Selling it is annoying, and more of an 'ad'. I have no issues with how you've presented it :)

As for exporting, I'm curious about saving your work locally. I noticed there is a free hosting service, then a cost when your storage needs grow, which I'm sure is how the business will be funded. I'm just curious if I can create models/content, and save them locally.
  • modebloggen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman: Haha great! As for the exporting: yes, absolutely! You can export (download) your projects as bundles to save locally. These bundles can also be implemented for use in other homepages etc as well.
  • modebloggen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello people, figured I'd necro this thread rather than starting a new one...

Since there seemed to be an interest in the visual programming aspect of create, I thought I'd just pop in and say that scripting now is live, if anyone is interested in that sort of thing!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    What can it do !? O o?
  • modebloggen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern:
    Hi! Sorry for the late reply..

With the scripting, I guess you could do just about anything? Get som physics going, scripted events, triggering animations, more interactions etc etc. There's a bunch of tutorials up on our site as well. My answer is kind of vague; I'm not that big on scripting/programming in general!