Home General Discussion

Advice Please! (FX or Environment Jobs)

huynhke
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
huynhke polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys!

I'm hoping to get some professional advice on what might be better. I enjoy doing both Environment work and FX work for video games, but i'm having trouble deciding on what to concentrate my portfolio on. I've also looked around at company careers and it seems like environment and FX don't have that many positions open. Environment seems like there's a lot more people doing it, and I feel like FX artists are usually found from within the company (so companies don't have job postings for the position).

What are your guys' thoughts?

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Don't worry about that stuff. Do whichever you are BETTER at. There's just no room for error in the industry so do what you do best. Hopefully you enjoy it more anyway. There are more env artists but way more env art jobs than fx. That being said great fx artists are hard to come by so if you are really good at it, you will find a gig.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I got in my current job as an Environment artist, but I'm currently doing more FX work. So why not both? Getting some nice FX on your environment pieces will set you apart from most people and will surely be taken in consideration when applying to jobs.
  • huynhke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks slosh and fonfa for giving me some feedback! Yeah what i'm thinking about doing it keeping my portfolio concentrated on environment, but also putting in fx into the environments. :)
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Isn't FX a big thing in the movie industry? If you do that, you have access to two industries (game and CG).
    FX is also the job I heard people get abused a lot (but don't take it from me!).
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    JordanN wrote: »
    Isn't FX a big thing in the movie industry? If you do that, you have access to two industries (game and CG).
    FX is also the job I heard people get abused a lot (but don't take it from me!).

VFX for games and for movies are totally different beasts and have much less in common than you think.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    unit187 wrote: »
    VFX for games and for movies are totally different beasts and have much less in common than you think.

Not as much as you would think anymore, games are starting to use a LOT of techniques that were previously just used in film. Also most toolsets that were only movie oriented are starting to be implemented into game pipelines.
  • huynhke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh that's very interesting :)