Home Technical Talk

Help for texture setup

Hey

I´m about to unwrap and texturing my abandoned apartment, but how should I start?

If I unwrap all the walls on one texture map, its going to tiles right?

And then I was thinking of unwrap all the walls and put them on a texture map, but on its own places?

How would you guys do it?

You can see my blockout here.

Does any of this make any sense ? ;) I hope, cause I really need your help.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    First of all, why you subdivided the walls? It doesn't need it. The walls can have overlapped or uniquely placed uvs, you just need continuous unwrap if you want continuous result. You should use a tileable texture on them, and on the floor/ceiling too.

So, just make or grab a tileable wall texture, remove the subdivision modifier from your wall mesh, and uv it to the texture. You can tile with sizing up or down your uv shells, or with typing a tiling value into the shader. So when you use tileable texture, the uvs doesn't really need to fit inside uv 0-1. Are you going to use baked (from highpoly) normalmaps on every prop?
  • razzta91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I would like to do something like the picture, But can I do that, when Im using tilable texture?

Subdivided? what do you mean?

Yeah Im going to use normal maps on all props? Is that a stupid choice?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm. Yeah, the greenish wallpaper can be one tileable texture, and the wall behind it can be an another. The hanging wallpaper parts are tricky, you should use meshes too for them if you want nice result. So add edges to the wall where you want to separate the two materials (wall/wallpaper). Detach the wall part, and move it backwards a very little. Then select the wallpaper's edges where it has the hole you created, and pull out new polygons from them to make the hanging parts. after the modeling is done, you can add the two tileable textures to the elements.

Subdivided means it has a geometry modifier on it that divides the surface into more polygons (Turbosmooth in Max for example).

" Is that a stupid choice?"
    It depends on some things, but not a stupid choice. If the wood furnitures will use the same wood texture then maybe it would be better to use tileable on these too. I know, ambient occlusion bake, but you can use a secondary uv channel for the ao.
  • razzta91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arhhh I see :) So no unwrap for the walls at all?

But how do I make the "fluffy" edges around the holes?

Yeah okay ;)

Okay, I start with the walls and after that I will think of the best way for the furnitres :)
  • razzta91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two more questions:

What about my trim at the bottom?

And after I finish my wall, I would like to put it into UDK, so I can still use this method?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "So no unwrap for the walls at all?"
    What? I never said this :) You need to unwrap, after you modeled them.
    The trim can be in its own texture. This way you can keep the wall textures tileable on both directions,that can give better resolution, cause you can tile it as high or small as you want, and the trim won't be repeated around the surface.

"And after I finish my wall, I would like to put it into UDK, so I can still use this method?"
    What you mean? The two textures on the wall?
  • razzta91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe okay, my bad :)

okay, and then after I unwrap the walls I can make the "fluffy" edges in photoshop with a alpha?

No I dont really know what my question for that was :) nevermind :)
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "okay, and then after I unwrap the walls I can make the "fluffy" edges in photoshop with a alpha"

Yes, but be careful with alphas. They can be more expensive than you would expect. There are a lot of cases when it worth more to add more geo instead. Actually adding a few more polygons is a lot more cheaper nowadays. There are issues with alphas when many of them are overlapping each other, they can be rendered really slow, but this comes up usually with dense grasses for example in my experience, probably you won't have rendering speed issue with them cause there won't be too much area with alpha, and they won't overlap each other. So you choose, geo or alpha.
  • razzta91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, thank you very much for your tips, it really helped me :)
  • razzta91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I have one more question :)

Now that I have unwrapped the walls (see the image) but I can´t figured out how to use the alpha, because if I want to make the walls bigger, then my alpha dont match the new scale?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, ok. So you mean if you scale up the wall's uvs? Or the wall meshes? If the wall meshes, then attach the hanging parts to the wallpaper mesh.
  • razzta91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean the uvs. for better resolustion maybe?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I understand now. Well for doing that properly, put the hanging parts to a third texture/uvmap, so you can scale the wall's uvs without messing up the alpha's scale compared to the wall. Or, tile with the shader.And then you don't need the third uvmap. You can tile just the diffuse/normal/spec and not the alpha if you do it in this way. Are you using Max? Do you need info about how to do this? :)
  • razzta91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now Im a little confussed :) sorry about that, but it my first game scene, so everything is new :)

So I could put the hanging parts and the trim in the same uvmap for example?

But I think maybe we not thinking the same thing when I said the "fluffy" edges? beause its not only on the hangning parts but also around the hole. So thats why I dont understand how to get the alpha to work.

as you maybe can see on the images, I have try very quickly to show what I mean by fluffy edges around the hole. And with that I can´t scale it up because then the alpha wont follow.

I don´t hope you give up on me :) Im just trying to understand it :)
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    You can do the "fluffy" parts with one extra texture which has the unique parts of the wall. The base wall only needs tilable textures. There is no need to unwrap the wall for the tilable textures like you did it. Just use a cubic projection and adjust the scaling to get your texture on the wall.
  • razzta91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I make a texture with the hole area?

So for the texture in the hole is also a cubic projection?

how do I do cubic projection in 3ds max?