Home General Discussion

The overuse of Red in Team based games.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
So, someone was mentioning that Red isn't as well perceived for movement in our eyes. After a little digging of my own, rods, which do the majority of the grunt work for night, peripheral, and motion, can't see the red spectrum.

So, why do so many team based games use red and blue as colors? Shouldn't it be like blue and green?

(Also if you are in such a game, make sure you're on the red side)

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    My guess it was started with some popular game like TF and people just followed suit.

Red and Blue are also more contrasty than Blue and Green and will merge into each other easier.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    colors combos to avoid for color blind gamers: Green & Red; Green & Brown; Blue & Purple; Green & Blue; Light Green & Yellow; Blue & Grey; Green & Grey; Green & Black.

Blue and Red teams are almost as old as competitive sports themselves. Studies have shown that red teams have a slight advantage over blue just because of the psychological connotations the color holds with humans. Red=blood=danger
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Studies have shown that red teams have a slight advantage over blue just because of the psychological connotations the color holds with humans. Red=blood=danger

Is that the hypothesis they decided upon after seeing the advantage? Couldn't it simply be as noted, red isn't seen as well movement wise?

What about Blue and Yellow?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    They contrast the best while still being working well with eachother. And they can "sit" well in any environment being 2 prime colors.

Blue and Yellow don't "sit" as well into an environment as yellow is limited to bright ranges while blue and red have a higher range of dark/middle ground colors that balance out well with eachother.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    oXYnary wrote: »
    What about Blue and Yellow?

I believe yellow pretty commonly winds up looking white in color blind folk, regardless of what type of color blind they are. So while still distinguishable from one another, you wind up having a color and "white/gray" as opposed to two different colors. Red & blue generally are just the most universally standoutish.

Pretty sure green and purple would work. Edit: Though Autocon brings up a good point about environments playing their role in the decision.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What have your studies shown about the issues human eyes have with blue? I know in the dark blue lights will leave trails and a quick cursory search shows only 2% of our cones are blue receptive.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    CPMA has been doing it right since forever and that's just about the most hyper-competetive game I can think of ...

84799-shot0002.jpg
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen wrote: »
    I believe yellow pretty commonly winds up looking white in color blind folk, regardless of what type of color blind they are.

Color blind or color disorder? I have the latter, and have no issues with yellow and blue distinction. (Grey and Blue though)....
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    They contrast the best while still being working well with eachother. And they can "sit" well in any environment being 2 prime colors.

Blue and Yellow don't "sit" as well into an environment as yellow is limited to bright ranges while blue and red have a higher range of dark/middle ground colors that balance out well with eachother.

Why not make the environment have more redish and dark hues as it is supposed to be static. So the players stand out then being the bright colors.

I realize this wont work in every situation, but sounds like we are coming into a conflict of gameplay versus aesthetics.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I'm probably wrong but I think the colors are chosen more because of the fact that they provide clear distinctions between who is a teammate and who is an enemy, and they are colors people can recognize immediately. Many games frequently highlight enemies in red simply because it is an easy way to tell the play "This guy needs to die" in under a few seconds.

Additionally, they are colors people have come to expect. I can start up any multiplayer game and if I see red on my radar/hud/etc. then I'm going to automatically assume it's something I should shoot at or be cautious of. If devs came and randomly changed the color of an enemy from red to green, or even a different color like orange, then chances are it would confuse me and detract from my experience simply because I was not knowledgeable about it the first time around.

I believe it was Lee Perry from Epic Games who said it, but if the average gamer can't get 10 kills within an hour of playing a competitive multiplayer game, then they will likely quit the game and not come back. As a result of this, I'd imagine it makes sense to give the average person basic information such as who is a friend and who is an enemy.

It's not like every game exclusively uses red and blue though, some games actually avoid bright colors as it adds more to the experience. In Counter-Strike for example, you have to react quickly to small movements of enemy heads across a map and as a result of this, it becomes increasingly important to communicate with your team as a lack of communication will lead to a player accidentally shooting or killing a teammate at long distance.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I think you're over analyzing this, and based on wrong information. Your functional vision is a product of the fovea centralis, a spot on your retina which is the center of your vision, and which is packed with cones, which are color receptors with very fast response times. The rods are largely located outside the fovea, and are responsible for night vision and peripheral vision, and have a slower response time, so they really don't matter much when it comes down to activities requiring fine focus and color. This chart shows the distribution of rods and cones, and you can see that it's almost all cone in the fovea.

512px-Human_photoreceptor_distribution.svg.png

Additionally there are three types of cones which perceive blue, green, and yellows and reds. The levels are usually gray, brown and green with yellow highlights from the sun (as is the world), and the red and blue colors pop out quite well. So the red/blue team split is actually right in line with biology and game design.

fbd.jpg
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do more research. You will find rods are used more for motion. Your own study implies this with rods being on the periphereal. I didn't pull this out of my ass.

There is nothing I posted about us not seing red. Quite the oposite in fact. I simply am saying we dont preceive red motion as well because rods cannot detect that spectrum.

Science bitch indeed. :p
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol yeah Martin, you should do more research. Maybe go to medical school or something? You're such a noob.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Science, bitch: the re-bitchening

Rods are in the periphery, and have a slower response time (refresh rate, if you will). Their function is to detect peripheral motion and detail at low resolution and tell your brain to center the fovea on the moving object to get a proper look at it with the cones. I'm not sure where you go the idea that rods are the primary motion trackers, but it's wrong. They are excellent at detecting motion, but that doesn't mean they are the ones doing the real work. They are primarily for low light and peripheral vision. Everything important has to pass through your central vision and the cone receptors. Don't believe me?

1) This is why Macular degeneration leads to loss of ability to read and do other fine visual work, because it destroys the foveal and parafoveal area, and leaves only low resolution peripheral vision intact.
    2) Try playing catch with your peripheral vision only, looking 20 degrees or more away from the other player. You will get beaned.

Your original question about colors assumes that the peripheral vision is the site where primary motion and color recognition occurs in an FPS game, but that isn't the case. You see motion and center it to really interpret what you're seeing with the fovea. And the "peripheral" vision in FPS gaming is in reality concentrated within 20 degrees from your foveas to either side, which puts it right in the zone with cones where you have both color, motion tracking, and higher visual acuity.
  • Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 11
    In Hawken you are blue and the enemy is red no matter which team you are in. I believe it works just fine since red is perceived as threat, or something you should pay attention to(in this age at least anyway. Colours tend to change meanings in time.)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    Science, bitch: the re-bitchening

Rods are in the periphery, and have a slower response time (refresh rate, if you will). Their function is to detect peripheral motion and detail at low resolution and tell your brain to center the fovea on the moving object to get a proper look at it with the cones. I'm not sure where you go the idea that rods are the primary motion trackers, but it's wrong. They are excellent at detecting motion, but that doesn't mean they are the ones doing the real work. They are primarily for low light and peripheral vision. Everything important has to pass through your central vision and the cone receptors. Don't believe me?

1) This is why Macular degeneration leads to loss of ability to read and do other fine visual work, because it destroys the foveal and parafoveal area, and leaves only low resolution peripheral vision intact.
    2) Try playing catch with your peripheral vision only, looking 20 degrees or more away from the other player. You will get beaned.

Your original question about colors assumes that the peripheral vision is the site where primary motion and color recognition occurs in an FPS game, but that isn't the case. You see motion and center it to really interpret what you're seeing with the fovea. And the "peripheral" vision in FPS gaming is in reality concentrated within 20 degrees from your foveas to either side, which puts it right in the zone with cones where you have both color, motion tracking, and higher visual acuity.

My information WAS from a doctor Earthquake, a psychiatrist at that.... :o

And NO I did not assume color is in the peripheral. I assume you have a larger area of motion detection with the peripheral combined.

Anyhow. Since my word is not enough and I must be a dumbfuck troller.
    http://www.apa.org/research/action/lime.aspx

So the re-re-bitching.
  • snoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoop polycounter lvl 7
    Rods are better at detecting luminosity in general than color at all. Wouldn't it then make more sense to shift the focus from changing team colors to either making characters contrast more with their environments or in order to increase perception of motion in the peripheral edges of the screen make a post processing effect that ups the contrast of the image in the same way a vignette dims it? The difference in advantage otherwise seems negligible, although the topic itself is interesting.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My information WAS from a doctor Earthquake, a psychiatrist at that.... :o

Martin is a doctor as well (technically a 7th or 8th year medical student, but who's counting =P), if you didn't catch it from the sarcasm.
    And NO I did not assume color is in the peripheral. I assume you have a larger area of motion detection with the peripheral combined.

Anyhow. Since my word is not enough and I must be a dumbfuck troller.
    http://www.apa.org/research/action/lime.aspx

So the re-re-bitching.

Interesting, but I'm not sure how it is relevant here. Extreme peripherally vision is important for say, spotting an oncoming firetruck out of the corner of your eye, sure. Computer monitors on the other hand do not tend to get up and move around while you're playing a game though, your vision will generally be focused directly on the computer monitor, unless you have a crazy 3 monitor setup or are playing games in a VR cave.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Science, the trans-bitchening
    This research shows that because the color-transmitting cones in our eyes don't work well in the dark, some colors are easier for us to see at night. We are most sensitive to greenish-yellow colors under dim conditions, making lime shades easiest to see in low lighting.
    This is not relevant to computer gaming, and especially not FPS games where you rarely have persistent lowlight conditions.
    You do, but it's monochrome (one wavelenth peak, rather than the three of cones), so it's a moot point. You kept talking about rods, and as I've said, that's not what you should be focusing on. Even the article you linked to talks about cones. And when we talk about cones then yes, flourescent yellow/green is much more in your face, but nobody uses fluorescent colors in games for the most part because it makes everything look tacky. Regular yellows and greens are part of the world, so a yellow player could be lost in the distance if they're standing in the sun. Except not cause every game is gray and brown now. :P
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Rods respond most strongly to somewhere in between green and blue, but this by no means means that they don't respond to red at all. In fact, given the large wavelength difference between green and blue as opposed to between green and red (this small difference is also part of the cause for R-G-blindness), it's more likely that blue is a weaker color than red.

As for why they're chosen: red is a rather unnatural color for an environment in calm state (a puddle of blood makes it tense), and there are many more variants of green in foliage etc than there are variations of blue (just the sky, which is generally not at eye level) so blue characters are less likely to be perceived as level props.

As for the fire truck, that doesn't say anything about red being badly visible. It says something about how much lime sticks out against other vehicles and about the combined brightness of it (which targets both the red and green channels). Also, without the context of knowing how visible a blue fire truck is, knowing that a red one isn't that great isn't very useful to considering the balance between those colors.

Nor, for that matter, does knowing how well a monochromatic sensor responds to a particular color give a complete image of the situation. Because it just means that on a grayscale, it is darker than the blue team. Which might be a benefit, or a detriment, or it might be very contextual; perhaps red should camp in shadows while blue stands in the open.

You seem to be drawing pretty strong conclusions based on just one factoid without context. It would be more efficient to test this with a simple experiment of having players play bot matches in two groups. One group first plays against red and then against blue bots, second group first plays against blue and then against red.

However if you're just looking for fresh, dichromatic teamcolors, here is an experimental sheet I made. Originally for colorblindness, but can work for team colors just fine too.

colorblindnesses.png
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I honestly think this thing isn't best tested by looking at the underlying reasons, and instead by running tests with control groups.

If you are really curious, you should make a little game that tracks statistics and does a bunch of tests.

Hell i'm kind of interested now. Maybe making a little prototype to test that out could be fun.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    We already covered this... red vs green is utterly terrible. it is the worst possible match for colorblind people.
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This may be totally random, but surely if there was an "advantage" based on colour and out ability to see it. (Apologies if I am being completely ignorant) couldn't they just make games so that the players only see one colour as the enemy such as Red or Blue and their own team mates could be colour that is less easier to see.

So in a quick summary. Enemies of your team would always show under the colour "Best choice" and your team mates would be the colour of "Second best choice". Surely to do that would not be that hard would it? Or would that require an extra overhead as the game would have to draw double of the correct team indication depending on who is viewing that person at the time?
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    avenali312 polycounter lvl 8
    Muzz wrote: »
    We already covered this... red vs green is utterly terrible. it is the worst possible match for colorblind people.

This times 1,000,000.

To be more specific, it's the worst possible configuration for protan (red weak) and deutan (green weak; I'm this one) color vision deficient people. Very, very few people are truly and completely "color-blind."
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    If they used Teal and Orange, the Art Directors wouldn't know how to colour code the lighting and environments!

blueorange500_229.jpg

BTW Red and Blue is waaay older than TF2:
    Double_Dragon_NES_NA.jpg

Surprised more games don't use this:
    Spy_vs._Spy.png
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    Plus it would make every multiplayer game Christmas themed.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I caught Temple of Doom again last night, been a long time, and chuckled when the good guy army came out at the end with Blue Turbans & capes to kill the red-cloaked wearing bad guys.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    BTW Red and Blue is waaay older than TF2:

I'd count the Red Sox - Yankees 100 year rivalry
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Y'all need to stop trying to explain this with science. The origins of red vs. blue go WAY back in history, all the way back to ancient Rome. The team colors in the Circus Maximus were red, blue, white, and green.

You can find this confirmed in all sorts of places, including Latin literature, but I know you guys probably don't read Latin much so here's a history page: www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/circus.html

Ctrl+F color
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Don+t+forget+during+the+Battle+of+New+Orleans+Jackson+led+_02ae1dcbf33a98321b33cec4a2a1c057.jpg

Or you could go with the imperial Red wearing Romans and the Blue woad picts

its a common theme throughout pre camouflage history that you kind of have a national colour.

Blue vs grey has also been mentioned

Chickamauga.jpg
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 18
    not sure i believe this, there is some statistical evidence that red teams win more often than others, in sports and video games.

http://www.1up.com/news/study-red-team-beats-blue
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People were asking for scientific studies here is one.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12445842/

At least on PC if not console playing at night people will be playing under darker conditions with the ambient light around the monitor and tv. Admitedly it will also depend on the environment in game, but I remember plenty of dark environments in twitch games like Unreal or Quake.

Also dfacto, you mention peripheral wont make much difference because the monitor/tv is close and in one planr of distance. The forvea actual focus area is still much smaller than this. http://cogsci.stackexchange.com/questions/4435/what-is-the-maximum-size-of-content-the-human-eye-can-focus-upon

I dont mind having a good discussion, but your gif rubbed me wrong.
    That being said, the best I have is a hypothesis based on already studied areas of red detection while the data showing red teams do have a slight advantage.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People were asking for scientific studies here is one.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12445842/

At least on PC if not console playing at night people will be playing under darker conditions with the ambient light around the monitor and tv. Admitedly it will also depend on the environment in game, but I remember plenty of dark environments in twitch games like Unreal or Quake.

But have you ever experienced a Purkinje shift in a game (especially a colorful one like Quake or UT where it would be very obvious)? Unless you have your cones are still working fine and doing their job, and the blue-shift is irrelevant.
    Also dfacto, you mention peripheral wont make much difference because the monitor/tv is close and in one planr of distance. The forvea actual focus area is still much smaller than this.

From the full study you linked: " In sum, these studies generally concur that the light-adapted retina (cones) has fairly constant color vision from the fovea out to the far periphery, provided that targets are scaled with eccentricity to compensate for the cortical magnification factor."

Cones are densest in the fovea, but they extend outwards and are responsible for our color vision in the periphery. They are dense enough in the 40-60 degree FOV we have of our monitors to make your hypothesis about rods affecting our perception in games suspect.

As for the "science bitch" pic it wasn't my intent to put you down, I just think stuff like that is awesome and the image fits that perfectly.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Those two particular colours are used for their historical connotations rather than any specifically scientific reasons. As both ExcessiveZero and JedTheKrampus pointed out Red and Blue have been used quite extensively throughout the history of oppositional warfare. The actual reason for that, aside from their being 'Royal' colours, has to do with the way they change the colour of blood, and subsequently the soldiers psychological response to it and the trauma of warfare - blood appears darker and less alarming on both colours, Navy-blue for example makes blood appear almost black.