Home General Discussion

Why are College and Uni lecturers paid differently to teach similar HE courses?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
barnesy polycounter lvl 9
Hey Polycount,

The studio that I work at will be closing at the end of the month and I have been looking at other possible paths to follow.

I have had a look at the lecturing route and found that for some reason College lecturers who teach HE uni courses are paid considerably less than Uni lecturers who teach the similar uni courses.

I would understand if it was cost of living vs. location but I know of a college and a uni that are around 200 meters away from each other and there is an considerable difference in the pay which makes no sense.

I was just wondering if anyone knew why this was, or could point me in the right direction as to where I would be able to find this out?

Thanks,

Mike

Replies

• Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    barnesy wrote: »
    Hey Polycount,

The studio that I work at will be closing at the end of the month and I have been looking at other possible paths to follow.

I have had a look at the lecturing route and found that for some reason College lecturers who teach HE uni courses are paid considerably less than Uni lecturers who teach the similar uni courses.

I would understand if it was cost of living vs. location but I know of a college and a uni that are around 200 meters away from each other and there is an considerable difference in the pay which makes no sense.

I was just wondering if anyone knew why this was, or could point me in the right direction as to where I would be able to find this out?

Thanks,

Mike

This comes with experience at being at a college and a university doing a Game Art course.

As silly as it sounds, it seems the college lecturers I have had the experience with had lack of experience in industry, or if at all lasted a very short time within a studio. In addition to this; they've generally been out of the pipeline for quite the period and aren't as up to date with industries latest pipeline and techniques. The college courses are more of an introduction to 3D modelling and animation whilst still "babysitting" the students.

I found Uni to be a totally different experience in that; they were still in industry at the time of teaching, or had spent a considerable amount of time in industry and believe me - there skill shown it. They are paid more due to their knowledge, experience and skill.

- In addition to all of this, to justify my point further; I graduated in summer, 5 days after handing in my final project started working at a CGI studio, 8 months in I've been given freelance work, and an offer of permanent employment at a well known game studio ( had to turn down due to relocation ) - but I'm still looking ;), my friend who I was at Uni with and his skillet was fairly average became a college lecturer... with no industry experience... never worked in a studio and never done any work other then his Uni assignments...

Speaks for itself. The standards are what set the pay grade apart. Thus - you should be applying for Uni Lecturer ;P

(EDIT: and whilst you've put teach "H.E in College" the teachers who teach the basic 3D teach the same HE course... My brother attends a college like this and the work is awful, he wishes hed left for the Uni I went too.)
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Dave Jr.

I would be tempted to apply for a uni lecturing position but there does not seem to be any around at the moment.

A degree is a degree, that's what can't fathom. Surely a lecturer with industry experience and the relevant qualifications should be paid based on their own skill set and ability to teach rather than if the course is situated at a college or a uni. It's not as if they use worse tools at a college or are majorly restricted, it's the same tools in the same learning environment.

In my opinion the quality of the work is entirely down to the individual and how much time they put in outside of uni as opposed to how much they are supervised by lecturers.

Are you based in the UK or another country because it sounds like your uni experience was very different to mine and the majority of uni students that I know or have spoken to. It seems that most of uni's lecturing teams are full of past students with little or no games industry experience. I have heard horror stories about uni lecturers asking students for help and advice whilst conducting lecturers, learning while they teach.

I'm not by any means condemning all uni lecturers but I have yet to hear of or see a full-time uni lecturer who has an active up-to-date portfolio.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm from the UK; Leeds infact, and went to Leeds Met Uni. I was lucky enough to have my lecturers with a good background in art and had spent several years at a few big name studios. What helped is that they loved what they did and what they had achieved and the effect was quite contagious on the students.

I went to a college - did A levels - figured I didn't want to be in Computer Science and liked the Game Art field... did a BTEC game design course and after a year of the two years got into Uni with the portfolio I made. Whilst I was at college, I was taught by a guy who'd never been in industry for 3D modelling and handed out PDF's of tutorials he'd found online... Taught texturing and photoshop from a guy with a fashion design and photography background.... and IT/basic programming by a guy who had just graduated Uni... - I ended up teaching myself from digital tutors/3d motive haha.

Believe me, the work ethic and standard was unbelievable... but that just may be my experience.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I interviewed for a HE college course - also a BTEC in Game Design (a private school in Nottingham, whose name I forget).

I would have turned it down if I'd have been offered it - the course was clearly being run by people who had no knowledge of the industry and were utterly without relevant experience. I've since become extremely wary of any games course that is not a proper degree.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    I interviewed for a HE college course - also a BTEC in Game Design (a private school in Nottingham, whose name I forget).

I would have turned it down if I'd have been offered it - the course was clearly being run by people who had no knowledge of the industry and were utterly without relevant experience. I've since become extremely wary of any games course that is not a proper degree.

... My BTEC Course was in Nottingham... that's my hometown until I moved for Uni in Leeds...

We might even be thinking of the same place!