Home Technical Talk

Shading / normal map error 3ds max

Hi I signed up for this forum because I can´t find an answer to my problem. I struggle with baking correct normal maps for a low poly mesh which will be imported into the game MX Simulator.

The first two attached files are the low poly mesh in the 3ds max viewport. You can also see the wireframe and invisible edges. Now I am just refering to the body (plastics and seat) This is a single mesh.
low3.jpg

low2.jpg

Normal map:
Husa.jpg

Low poly with normal map in viewport:
low%2Bnorm%20in%20viewport.jpg

low4%2Bnorm%20in%20viewport.jpg

As you can see the main errors appear on the side of the seat and the back of the rear fender. I know the viewport in 3ds Max is a bit buggy when it comes to displaying normal maps correctly but in this case the model does also look like this when exported into the game.
So here is what I have done in the process of baking:
-Baked directly in 3ds max from a high poly object with default scanline renderer:
-Global supersampler: Hammerslay
-Antialiasing filter: Catmull-Rom

-low poly model has been triangulated before baking (and exporting)
-resetted the Xform before baking
-smoothing groups are set from the UV shells
-projection cage does not show any missed rays
-baking tangent space normal map with the right orientation
-also tried to bake in Xnormal and/or with handplane

I already read a lot of threads in here about baking normal maps and reducing errors but I can not figure out my problem in this special case. I hope I haven´t done any "first post noobish" mistake and that anyone is able to help me out

Replies

• Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Pictures seems to be broken. Could you upload again to imgur or something?
  • Kording
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dropbox´s sharing settings are a bit confusing but I hope I fixed it ?
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Ohw, yea!
    Have you tried looking at the normal map in marmoset for example? marmoset have the option for 3ds max tangent basis.

In theory, you SHOULD get a correct bake without shading errors with the correct tangents, one smoothing group, and one uv shell, but in max, it doesn't really seem to work all that good.

Max is somewhat famous for using two different tangents (one in the renderer and one in the viewport) so I never really believe anything I see in that viewport without checking in (for example) marmoset first!
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    The error is quite clearly showing in your bake though, if your lowpoly mesh is a single smoothing group and the verts are not split at the tip of the seat then you should not see that contrast you have across the mirror plane there in your bake.

normerror.jpg
  • Kording
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon wrote: »
    Max is somewhat famous for using two different tangents (one in the renderer and one in the viewport) so I never really believe anything I see in that viewport without checking in (for example) marmoset first!
    I did and it looks clean on the seat but not on the rear fender as imperator_dk pointed out. But as I said the model looks ingame the same as in the Max´s viewport I am confused on how I get rid of that problem.

As far as the odd line on the rear fender should I split the verts in the UVW space like this ?
    Split.jpg

Nevermind it does not affact the shading.
  • Kording
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I removed the two support edges on the rear and the shading is fine there now. Still can´t get rid of the error on the side though. Any more tipps ?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    you are baking in max i guess?

well the max renderer/baker is not synced with the max viewport, the normalmaps should look great in rendering, however you could use the 3pointshader with qualified normals to get the viewport to render the normalmap correctly

@Kimon: that makes no sense, Max is also not synced with marmoset (maybe in marmoset 2 it is?) so if it looks good it's most likely luck, make sure your maps are in sync with the target renderer it makes no sense to preview maps supposed to land in unity within any other engine or viewer unless it supports the unity tangent base
  • Kording
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats true Neox here is an ingame screenshot:
    screenshot015.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The issue here can be seen in the first images with the harsh shading on the lowpoly model without normal map. Use hard edges, or chamfer/cut in some support loops so that shading looks better, and then rebake. It will most likely fix your issue.

When you're not using a synced workflow, you need to make it as easy on the normal map as possible, this means avoiding very extreme mesh normals on the low like you have here where you're getting errors.
  • Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
  • Kording
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    or chamfer/cut in some support loops so that shading looks better
    well I guess this is not a perfect solution but it dos look better so thank you for this tip.
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Use hard edges
    Could you be more specific on this one ?
    Tim270 wrote:
    drz 400 ?
    its a Husquarna/Husaberg 125ccm
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    in max hard edges are called smoothingroups
  • Kording
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I know but I cant use any smoothing splits because I have only one UV chunk right ? I would have to also split the UVs at that point because of the needed padding or ?
    So anyways I tried to apply a different smoothing group to the seat and also split my UVs at that edge but it did not change anything. Kinda wierd
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, when you use hard edges/smoothing groups, you also need to split the uvs along those edges otherwise you will get seam artifacts.
  • Kording
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed it. Thank you all for your help!
    screenshot016.jpg