Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Artist Portfolio - Critique - What's missing?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
reaxion polycounter lvl 12
What is this lacking? How can it improve?

Add this.... remove that...

Replies

• Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    The alien character dude looks out of place and quite unfinished. I'd say leave it out. You've got some interesting concepts brewing here, I especially like the look of the outpost. My suggestion is to finish off some of these projects, a lot of them are unfinished.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    I think as a whole the presentation is really nice. Big clear buttons with lots of pictures in each link. Might be good to put your e-mail on the front page.

As for the work.

1. The second link with just wire frames of plants isnt doing you any favors. Id remove that altogether till you have a finished piece.

2. The welcome home environment is extremely busy and reads very flat. The biggest problem with it is lighting and camera positioning. Check out Tor Frick's sci fi environment and get some inspiration from his lighting and camera positioning. http://www.torfrick.com/info/lab.html Try to think about focal points.

3. You have two thumbnails showcasing terrain building/texturing. The first one isnt as good as the second one. Id probably just remove the first thumbnail (and its contents) altogether. Or merge it with the second one. Really, what would be best, is if you finished one environment with the terrain and just showcased that, this looks a lot like a bunch of quick exercises.

4. In your character sculpting section, Id probably remove the ginger man. He's not going to do you any favors. Same with the weird alien mushroom dude.

5. Your concepts are pretty cool! Id put that stuff further up on the page. All the environment paintings are nice, but the last one with the astronaut man isnt of the same quality as the others. Id either push that one till it is, or remove it.

6. Your rock wall textures need a lot of work. I'd remove them for now. Really try to look at tons of reference when creating these. Look at other peoples sculpts as well as real life reference for inspiration.

It really looks like you just put EVERY piece of work you could find onto your site. Your website should only showcase what you think is your strongest work. It represents you as an artist. Id take a hard look at everything again and decide what you feel represents you best and then keep cranking out pieces that surpass that.

You're off to a great start, I see a ton of potential in you! Just gotta put some more hours in and level up some more. Reference is key, and compare your work to everyone on this site. When creating new work, always think "is this gonna make me stand out? or is it forgettable". Hit as close to the quality bar that the fine people on this site have set.

Good luck! lookin forward to seeing what you come up with.
  • reaxion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AMazing suggestions so far thanks a ton.

I will update throughout the week as I am working on a new peice. Will post a thread soon.

Will check back in the morning going to be modelling all night, workign on a few new peices this week seeing what I can get done.

Nate Broach really helpfull thanks man.
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that your strongest stuff is the terrain studies; they show a good grasp of the big picture, which is something of a rare skill in someone who's relatively new to the industry.

I don't see much in the way of in-depth texturing, lighting, or prop work. What little you do have on there is a great start, though. I'd just keep pounding out work!
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    It's obvious you're a good artist with a good eye for style. Your work is presented very well. However, you'd benefit from some "world building." More realistic textures, scene clutter, props, etc.

Along with your environments, if you made a couple AAA quality props I think you'd be pretty solid.
  • reaxion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated with some set modelling.

Thanks for the tips, next peice I am goign to adress some od these points.

Back to it.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I feel like a lot is unfinished and you could really remove or finish that scifi scene, it feels very very visually noisy. I like your organic sack sculpt thing.