Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Worn Fire Extinguisher

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Misciagno3d polycounter lvl 4
This is my first time rendering a model in Marmoset Toolbag 2. I'm pretty happy with it but I want to know what you guys think. Ploys: 5,001 Verts: 5,325 Texture Size: 2048 X 2048

FHD3CSm.jpg

szYqMNn.jpg

viSzTVu.jpg

P0gcOZN.jpg

3zby1k2.jpg

RbVnRTI.jpg

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Your metal doesn't look to convincing. Can you post your texture flats?
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Also, the paint being worn off looks like its really thick paint. and it looks odd, not sure if this is normals or just painted but it looks way to thick to be a painted extinguisher
  • Misciagno3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What part about it do you think isn't realistic and do you mean the painted area or the bare area or both? Do you think its a texture issue or maybe i was too extreme with the render effects?

The order is diffuse normal spec then gloss

1dA72sW.jpg

HffUcgN.png

GZg99gf.jpg

Q8Wl8sL.jpg
  • Misciagno3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i could fix the thickness of the paint with the bump map for sure thanks for pointing that out

WWIzjHn.jpg

nqshTuu.jpg
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Since you are using toolbag 2, why not give a metalness workflow a try? You can focus on your albedo and gloss map then to give you material definition. It may be a little confusing at first, but when you finish, it will seem pretty straightforward. Great guide here. Physically based rendering, and you can too!
  • Misciagno3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure how I feel about metalness maps haha but ive been trying to make the metal and the glass look more realistic so heres a comparison of what I have now and what I had when I started the thread

Xz7KMI4.jpg
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few things that stick out as being "off".

You are getting some pretty nasty seams both between the join in the side of the extinguisher and also along where the base and the side join. To fix this you can use software such as Mari, Mudbox or Bodypaint to paint a texture seamlessly across the uv islands directly on the model. Alternatively careful texturing will likely fix this.

You are using a 2k texture and 5k polygons for a fire Extinguisher, which itself seems fairly excessive. However, with that in mind it seems odd that you're getting such low res detail on your fire extinguisher.

You are getting normal map seams on the base of your fire extinguisher, as a rule of thumb it is best to split away your uv islands and create a hard edge for each face that falls on a angle greater than 30 degrees for an adjacent face and give a bunch of padding between uv island. For example a cube would have 6 smoothing groups and 6 uv islands, this will give you perfect normal map edges without visible seams.

Also, I missed your post with your textures; I think you are fundamentally missing a few techniques that are preventing you getting good results from your model.

- Your diffuse is very saturated, this is making it look quite cartoony.

- Generally your uv's are curved when they should* be straightened out as much as possible. Having your main body of the extinguisher at a slant like that is meaning that the pixels in your texture map are being distorted and blurred.

- Your normal map is being incorrectly used, or atleast not being used to it's full potential. Ideally a normal map should be used to generate smooth edges and give the model the effect of appearing higher poly that it actually is. You will, if a normal is used correctly, be able to have a much lower resolution mesh whilst still maintaining the integrity of the curved edges on the extinguisher.

- Your specular and gloss maps are being used incorrectly. The specular map should* govern the power of the specularity and that is all, this is sometimes called "specular luminance/power" because it simply masks out the different materials in the texture.
    - Your gloss map should be used to govern the roughness of the surface, this is where all of the scratches and specular damage should go.

Hope this helps!
  • Misciagno3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that's awesome feedback thanks! I've tried to address most of what you mentioned texture wise to the best of my ability.

VUjrXnw.jpg