Home Technical Talk

Zbrush shennanigans

SO I am just doing some simple learning of zbrush(Taking a break from substance designer for today), I figure I needed to learn it passed sculpting with dyna mesh to be proficient.

Edited this original post to say that I will be posting questions as I go and to check the bottom of the thread lol

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    That looks like a typical remesh to me. Remesh just creates a new unified skin based on the object and appends it as a new subtool. You'll need to manually use the separate Project All button to transfer the original shape back to this new mesh.

Dynamesh is a different feature. It retpologizes the subtool itself and matches the volume more closely (and has a built in projection feature for even closer results)
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hrm. I just find it so strange that in the video his mesh comes out almost perfectly smoothed and everything :( !
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    You say you're watching a tutorial on remesh. But you're talking about using dynamesh.
    Both remesh and dynamesh are a tool in zbrush, but they're both different tools.

If you want you dynamesh to be more accurate use the build in projection option to make it more accurate, also remember that the higher the resolution the more accurate it can work.

As for the remesh I haven't really played with that myself so not sure how that works, but I do know that the image of your model doesn't look like a remesh, but as a dynamesh.

And the video you speak of, is it a free video you could share? Maybe that gives us a clue as to what you might be doing wrong or different.
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I said I needed to get past using just dynamesh and sculpting :P as in, use other things.
    Video is from digital tutors unfortunately, Quick Start to Zbrush V. 1
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    If it's a problem you're having with a Digital Tutors tutorial, why not post about it on the Digital Tutors forum? For the price they charge you may as well get your money's worth.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Frawmus wrote: »
    Hrm. I just find it so strange that in the video his mesh comes out almost perfectly smoothed and everything :( !

What you're getting is (and has always been) your standard Remesh All result. It's not clean and its not consistent. It's always just a blob that needs to be projected and cleaned. If you're using Digital Tutors, you can see this same kind of result in the "Remeshing Geometry" video from the 'Quick Start to ZBrush: Volume 3' course. The video afterwards deals with using Project All to try and project the new skin onto the original shape.
    The 'Working with subdivision levels' video from 'Quick Start to ZBrush: Volume 1' produces the same kind of blob as well, which is what I believe you're watching.

I wouldn't spend too much time on Remesh personally. If you want to get past using Dynamesh when sculpting, there's no point in focusing on what is essentially just Dynamesh v0.4.
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol okay, Thanks :) I was just curious why it came out so different than the video. His seams so much smoother. Ah well.
    Will post more questions as I come across them here
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Sorry I failed at reading :D
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick question. Pretty basic, and common I think
    Is there anything one can do to move around in zbrush with more ease? Currently it feels really off. Like, the camera isn't exactly rotating around the object like I'd like it to. I know this comes from being unfamiliar, but If there is some tips on movement I'd love to know.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    There isn't really a camera. It's more like you're staring at a static photoshop document, while rotating a floating model around on top of it.

Personally I prefer to work with local transformations on. The last place you click on the model becomes the new pivot point. Eventually it becomes instinct to click on the area you want to work on and frame it.
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah okay, I will definitely try that :) Thanks