Home Technical Talk

Visualization problem in 3ds max 2014

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Cadu polycounter lvl 5
Any one got this problem in 3ds max 2014? After a few minutes it pops and i have to close and lauch it again to disappear.

ezonqx.jpg

Thx for the help!

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Are you using the latest Service Pack? Have you tried resetting xforms? Have you tried disabling backface culling?

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-3ds-max-2014-service-pack-3.html
  • Cadu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cadu polycounter lvl 5
    Thx for the reply Monster. I created this scene as a test, from a new file. Even so i resetted xforms and nothing changes.

Backface culling is off. From both the object properties and in preference settings/viewports.

I will update it to the latest service pack and reply if anything happens.

So far what i realize is that no matter the display driver is, changing the view to perspective cleans the problem temporarily.
  • PixelsGenerated
    Have you tried flipping the faces ? Also you could try to put a normalise on it, see if that changes anything.
  • Cadu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cadu polycounter lvl 5
    Yep, just tried that. Flipping the faces wont change it. Like i said before, changing the view mode to perspective put things back together. Looks like the problem seams to be connected with the ortographic view.

Sorry for the newbie question but normalize you mean apply the Normal modifier or Normalize spline modifier?
  • Cadu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cadu polycounter lvl 5
    Well, after installing the latest service pack (SP3) and testing in two different scenes i got two quite different results. The problems seams to disappear in the smaller scene (the plane from above screenshot) and with the heavier the visualization problem is a little different but still persists.

Like before, the ortho view is the only one with the viz problem.

Any clues?

Thx again for any help.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Can you share the file? I can't reproduce the problem.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I have had this problem recently. If you apply/ reapply a material to the object it fixes it. I have no idea why it happens.
  • Cadu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cadu polycounter lvl 5
    Shure Monster. The link to the file:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/t6awno

Stevston89. I will try that in both scenes and post the results. Thx
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woa... that's messed up. I've never seen that before.

What is the viewport set to? Nitrous DX11, DX9, Legacy?

What kind of videocard do you have? When was the last time you updated the drivers?
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    I can't repro the problem in your shared scene

Generally speaking, judging by your screenshot:
    That looks a lot like the transparency depthsorting issues Nitrous (viewport driver) has in "Shaded" mode and when some materials are set to displayed "Realistic",
    You will see the issue go away either by setting the viewport to "Realistic" mode, or setting the MATERIAL display type of the materials in question ( via Material Editor) or of all materials ( via menu "Views->Show Materials in viewport" to "Shaded" or "Shaded with Maps".
    In short: The simple "shaded" mode you are using in the viewport has troubles doing correct depth sorting when transparencies are involved. Setting the materialdisplay to "shaded" mode too, should solve that
  • Cadu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cadu polycounter lvl 5
    Stevston89. I reapply the material and nothing changes. When in ortho the probs reapper.

Mark Dygert. I tried to change to different modes like DX11 and DX9 but similar problems still happens. My videocard is a kinda old ATI model that i cant remenber its model, cause its a temporary solution. My gtx560ti had died in mid 2013. I think this oldie supports DX11. Later i will check that model and update its drivers and post the results.

Spacefrog. With every mode i tried it affects only the ortho view. The materials are always to show as shaded with maps. Realistic kinda lags things a little bit when working so a try to avoid it when panning around. Turning it to shaded and perspective seams to solve it.

Yet again thx for the help folks.
  • Cadu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cadu polycounter lvl 5
    My videocard is a HD 5750 1gb.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    My Nvidia GTX480 and GTX780 don't have this issue. But my wife's machine has an on board HD4250 and it does have this issue. Looks like the problem is just the video card. Not sure how to fix it.
  • Cadu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cadu polycounter lvl 5
    Maybe it is the video card. Best way to prove it is retiring this oldie.

Thx!