Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Jokers Mansion [WIP] - School Project, Need help and guidance

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys. I'm a second year college student and for my Level Design class, we have to complete an entire level by the end of the semester. The level i decided to do was Joker Mansion, based off concepts for Batman from an artist in Montreal.

I still have 2 months to complete this level, so i thought why not upload it to polycount and have the talented artists on here help me. I really want this level to look decent, because it will be the first environment in my portfolio. So critiques are welcomed and extremely appreciated.

Don't have much so far, but its a start. Many updates to come.

G1Zvkgf.jpg
ScreenShot5_zpsfd147a1b.jpg

ScreenShot4_zpse8fd8418.jpg

ScreenShot2_zpsf04a2f2e.jpg

Screenshot10_zps81ed800f.jpg

ScreenShot9_zps06e12b18.jpg

ScreenShot8_zps840365ca.jpg

Screenshot7_zps7a26d235.jpg

ScreenShot6_zps33b924b0.jpg

ScreenShot5_zpsfd147a1b.jpgAnd heres some of the props i have done in this scene so far

6oG8en6.jpg

Replies

• GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to upload the concepts I'm going off. Forgot the name of the artist, but i know he is from Montreal, and judging by these concepts i know he is very skilled and talented.

UPDATE: Found out the name of the artist. He is Virgile Loth.

DISCLAIMER: These images are by Virgile Loth and property of Warner Bros. I do not own them and are using them for non-profit use and educational purpose.

8RoDM1G.jpg

8SaWp1P.jpg
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    I did some research and it seems the concept artist for the work you're environment is based off is Virgile Loth, I could be wrong, this is from reverse searching the concept images you provided
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Hey!

I'm also doing a Batman themed environment and it seems you're getting the same problems as me in that you're scene is becoming very washed out with single colours. Try and get all your lighting in without any extreme colours and try and get it looking right before you dive into changing the colours. It helped me a lot!
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Auldbenkenobi!

Thanks for the comment friend. Your advice makes a lot of sense to me. It would be easier to see how my textures will work with each other with basic lights instead of these pinks lights i have setup. I think i'll get all my meshes in and everything and save the lighting for last.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    lighting should usually be one of the last things you do. what you want is a base lighting for your mood, just to get the idea across, but you don't want to get too in depth. also remember that you can make a color the "theme" of the piece, but don't let it take over, there are other ways to make it work, instead of washing the entire scene with it. like in the concepts, you can see that the lighting is based on spotlights producing it, but not all over the scene, just in certain areas. where the other areas have a different color. as well as the lights are brought together with your standard halogen bulbs as well, you also have a regular light fill going in there too.

I also see that your spec's are very clean and flat. By the looks of it, a lot of your textures/meshes show damage and wearing, this also translates over to spec. and also remember that not all specs are white. I also see that your spec power seems to be the same on most things. You need to also remember that each material translates specular power differently. such as metal and plastic should have a different specular power.