Home General Discussion

I'm gonna be a dad!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
evilblah polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys!

I am going to be a dad! Can't stop saying that enough. My little Bair cub will be born in September if everything goes like it should. =)

I did have a question for those Dads and Moms on the Polycount boards. How does your work life change once you have a little one? I am sure it does but just want to hear some stories from you guys/gals.

I had to share the news!

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    wooots! congrats man! that is really great news. :D
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Congrats!

As a full-time dad / rest-of-the-time freelancer I can say it's been an amazing experience so far. Currently giving my little one a head start in gamedev art making.

Just let 'em scribble wildly on my tablet or dig holes in paper sketchbooks (my old sketchbooks) with sloppy wet finger paints.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Amazing!

High-Five.jpg

Congrats :D
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ha ha congrats, your life certainly will change and it will be tough to do any work for a while, but its great anyway, just enjoy it.
    we didn't get a lot of sleep for a while and it can make you a bit frazzled,, but I found it not too bad really.
    infacol is great for colic, bepanthen cream is a life saver for sore botties( better than sudocream IMHO)

baby wipes are of course very versatile, you can even clean leather couches with them but honestly we got through tons of them.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome man! Congrats!

I have two boys, and being a dad is awesome. The biggest change for me, instead of sitting down and playing a game or watching a show when I get home, I hang out with them and do what they want (Which sometimes involves games, my 4 year old is amazing at Forza!). After they go to bed it's all art time.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    great..! my little one is now a year and a month...
    and its awsome...
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Probably the best time right now for you, be extra proud for those of us who can't father a child whether it be genetic or financial.

Best of luck with the little tyke congratulations.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats!

Your life doesn't change forever, it just changes for a while. Sure they're with you for 18+ years but as they grow they become much more independent and you start to get some of your time back.

It can be pretty stressful at times, just do your best to keep things in perspective. Millions of idiots all over the world manage to pull it off, you'll be fine.

For the first few months you'll probably feel like someone stole your brain, but they settle in and everyone relaxes into a routine. The routine won't be the same forever, it will grow and change as they do, just like you'll grow and change as a dad.

You don't need to know it all right when they are born, you just have to stay ahead of them by a few months ;)

The more time you spend with them the less of a headache they are. A lot of kids with behavioral problems are just little attention whores. This is one area where society will thank you for over indulging, because they'll come out normal.

They tend to move through three stages, plant, puppy, person. They seem to hit person around 6-7yrs old. That's about the time you start to get some of your free time back.
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. Thank you all for the congrats and encouragement. I am very excited and nervous for this. We don't know yet if it is going to be a boy or girl but we will find out in a few weeks.

More then anything I can't wait to see what they do. I plan to show them everything I can but I can't wait to see them make their own discoveries or see how they think about things as they grow. I am fascinated by the thought of a mini person made from my wife and I deciding how they feel about the world.

@glottis8 - Thank you!

@MagicSugar - Thank you too! I am already building up sketchbooks for them to play with and my tablet will be getting a new protective screen just for them. ;)

@Torch - I will take a face five any day. Just be gentle.

@Ruz - Thank you and thank you for the tips. These words you use sound alien to me right now but I will learn them and learn to love them. Haha!

@skylebones - Sounds like my kind of after work day.

@oglu - Congrats and yay! I can't wait.

@D4V1DC - Thank you and I will be. So far I think I have been smiling for the last 3 weeks.

@Mark Dygert - Great advice and thank you. I have never heard of it described like that (plant, puppy, person) but it makes total sense and I can't stop laughing at that. I will make sure that they are only a minor nuisance on society... Maybe... ;)