Home General Discussion

Questions for a 3D modeller

Hi I have a few questions id like to ask to a 3D modeller preferably somone that works in the industry. Its part of an assignment i'm currently doing where I have to research this field. Thank you for your time :)
  1. How did you break into the industry?
  2. Was your initial knowledge of 3D modelling self-taught or did you learn it from a course beforehand?
  3. When did you first become interested in doing this as a career?
  4. Is the industry tough to work in? i.e. high pressure/ workload/deadlines
  5. What advice would you give to a graduate student aspiring to make it as a 3D artist/modeller?
  6. What is the best way increase the speed of your modelling?
  7. Did the company you worked for give you any training in the software packages?
  8. Would you recommend this as a career path?

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    How did you break into the industry?
    Before graduating i had an internship at Cartoon Network, soon after graduation i started work on production of movie 3d art and vfx in LA. Soon after there was that writers strike that left very little work in the movies at the time, leaving me hanging and looking for new work. Decided to move into full time position within video games. Did some freelance and then landed my first job soon after.

Tho.. my first job was all network. Buddy of mine working there referred me, sent my portfolio, interviewed and started that same day.

Was your initial knowledge of 3D modelling self-taught or did you learn it from a course beforehand?
    A little bit of both i think. I think of college more of what you put into it. I think i got out more than some of the other people attending just by the amount of dedication and practice. So you learn form a course, sure, but its what you put into it that brings the best results.

When did you first become interested in doing this as a career?
    Since i was little i knew i wanted to make art for video games. My dad is an architect, and most of my electives and direction through school was always in art and math, with some theater. Art being always part of my life.

Is the industry tough to work in? i.e. high pressure/ workload/deadlines
    The industry is tough for the people that are easily discouraged, not self driven and lack of discipline. Sure there are places that are just badly managed. But if you know what you want, and where to look, you can find a job that challenges you, where you grow and that you feel rewarded. Pressure sure can be high and workload can be high with short deadlines. But good planning, great communication and a passion for what you do with a set of growing skills makes for a very interesting, always changing work environment.

What advice would you give to a graduate student aspiring to make it as a 3D artist/modeller?
    I guess pay attention to the details. Learn to work from big to small, and manage time. Learn when to stop and when to push for detail. Being concise and communicate clearly makes for a better work environment and will clear any misunderstandings or expectations on your work. For people wanting to go into this industry, just work hard and try to always learn new things. Keep current. Specially in this ever changing industry.

Also.. have some set goals on paper. Short term to long term. My dad asked to write goals for 6 month,1 year, 5 and then 10 years. A few months ago he sent me an email with that letter telling me i have accomplished everything i wrote down. It was quite amazing, and felt encouraged that i was doing the right thing. So write down some goals. You want to be lead... you want to work at a certain company, or start your own thing. Its a road map that you can go to and identify what you need to do to achieve it.

What is the best way increase the speed of your modelling?
    I guess shortcuts are good way to improve. I have told some of the kids i mentor to try remaking some of the things they have done a few times. Most of the time with them noticing its not only easier and faster to work on it. But it turns out better looking, better optimized and they understand their workflow a little better. So i guess think about that. Also... ask questions on what is required. Full understanding of what is at hand will not only allow for more creativity and being able to be spontaneous. But you can have the big picture in mind when working on things.

Did the company you worked for give you any training in the software packages?
    Any company you go into will have you train and get acquainted with the pipelines, do's and don'ts.

Would you recommend this as a career path?
    totally. I could not see myself working in any other job at the moment. Love what i do. Love the growth and the people i work with, and the challenge and reward of creating something someone can experience.

Hope that helps.
  • FantaBanta3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that's a superb answer, glottis8. Very inspirational too actually! One question I have to add to these, is:

I'm currently at university being set tasks to be graded etc. Though these tasks have a very short time limit which doesn't give me much time to experiment, learn and improve. Therefore I am really struggling to make the time to produce portfolio pieces. What would you advise for someone in my position to do?

Thanks in advance :)
  • danielc02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your response, I didn't expect to get such helpful answers. :)
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    How did you break into the industry?
    Perseverance. I did a few freelance jobs here and there; but it was basically just throwing my work out there until something stuck.

Was your initial knowledge of 3D modelling self-taught or did you learn it from a course beforehand?
    Mostly self taught. I did a University course in 3D Art and Animation; which taught a basic level. Most of my modeling knowledge came in my own time.

When did you first become interested in doing this as a career?
    Whilst at University.

Is the industry tough to work in? i.e. high pressure/ workload/deadlines
    Yes it's very tough at times, but very rewarding. This is the nature of the industry, but it's very fun to be problem solving most days, even though I often get home with a headache.

What advice would you give to a graduate student aspiring to make it as a 3D artist/modeller?
    Just practice like crazy. Portfolio is key. Spend a good year or so after graduation working on your portfolio as much as you can.

What is the best way increase the speed of your modelling?
    Shortcuts were critical for me, but also having a good grasp on what you want to model ahead of time. Plan ahead the main flow of geometry. You should be able to look at a shape and know how you would model it instantly preferably. (in most cases)

Did the company you worked for give you any training in the software packages?
    It did not, but it did give me the time to learn the software (I was a Maya user and had to learn Max) I managed to do my art test entirely in Max without ever having used it before. This impressed them enough to get me an interview; and my interview went well enough to secure me a job, on the basis that I get up to speed with 3DS Max as fast as possible.

Would you recommend this as a career path?
    Absolutely. But only if you love it and are dedicated to it. It's too tough to do it if you don't enjoy it.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Wow that's a superb answer, glottis8. Very inspirational too actually! One question I have to add to these, is:

I'm currently at university being set tasks to be graded etc. Though these tasks have a very short time limit which doesn't give me much time to experiment, learn and improve. Therefore I am really struggling to make the time to produce portfolio pieces. What would you advise for someone in my position to do?

Thanks in advance :)

I guess those tasks are meant to teach one specific skill or some sort of challenge. If you don't think that they are teaching you something important then reevaluate and try to add those things into your work. Then you can keep piling up things learned to create better work. Its kind of pointless to think that early on you'll be creating your best work. Try to get better with each work and keep pushing your art. Don't forget to post your work around here, and get some good feedback.

Hope that helps.