Home Technical Talk

Resurfacing lumpiness in Zbrush

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
kritskiy polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone! I'm not very experienced in Zbrush, can you please advise me on dealing with lumpy surfaces of dense meshes?

Here's an example: this beautiful sphere. The right side is perfectly smooth, there's a splendidly sculpted spiral and so on. The left side is a result of brush/smooth/trim brushes and is lumpy. What I want to understand are the ways to make left part smooth without disturbing the right part.

ZBrushOSX-20140227-180619.png

The two things I had in mind are
1) making lower res mesh with ZRemesher and then ProjectAll the lumpy part of the original mesh to the newer smoother geometry. The problem was that I was getting holes and seams
ZBrushOSX-20140227-184253.png

2) Polygroup + topology brush. I guess I'm not understanding something because the surface is quite smooth but the transition between polygroups is broken
ZBrushOSX-20140227-184830.png

Thanks!

Replies

• MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I think the trick is to step down in subdivision levels and fix your lumpiness in a lower poly level.

High detail = high poly
    Low detail = low poly

And in case of lumps they are big forms, so lowpoly would be the solution I'd say.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Complicated.

Did you mask the right side off from the left and made edits?

There are to many questions left unanswered for us to really help with this, tbh.

I found out that a few options or combinations will create problems on meshes, idk if anyone else has had this problem but i was actually paying attention today and noticed a few.

If you decide to re-create this which should be quick enough, try to write down each step, like:

1. create a sphere made it unified skin or whatever.
    2. damn brushed a spiral on right side
    ect.ect.

Then i think we can help you out better right now i am like so stuck maybe it is just me.
    Don't mean to sound mean or anything so :) keep a smile on i want to help otherwise i wouldn't be replying. :)

If you want a quick answer,
    Duplicate the tool,
    zremesh one of them,
    get it nice a low, 200-500 or so
    hit the subdivide option up to idk, 5
    mask off the side you want to keep say the right side,
    project the details on the right
    inverse the mask,
    reproject the left.

? did it work:poly141:
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I know this is just an example, but the easiest way is to avoid having to fix things by storing your work in layers / incremental subtools/saves and/or morph map. With the a morph of the original sphere for example, you could use the morph brush to paint back only the area you want to be reverted.

Maybe in other situations you could capture the work you've done as an alpha and apply that to a new/fixed ztool.
  • kritskiy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kritskiy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks everyone!

D4V1DC, you're right, I should've probably wrote more. So it was just a simple subdivided sphere with applied damstandard brush. I just thought that geometry for example doesn't matter much. Here's a real life model I'm having troubles with: it was lowpoly in the beginning, then I subdivided it and dynameshed it, so mesh is very dense. And I'm having lumpiness on the top side.

I've tried to do exactly as you said: duplicate, zremesh, subdivide, mask, did ProjectAll — and I'm getting result similar to my second screenshot: with seams, so I thought maybe something is wrong? But maybe I'm being perfectionist: with small adjustments I can get rid of those seams.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I'd do what bek said, start over store a morph make your changes if you get lumpiness adjust your intensity and use the morpho brush to bring your smoothness back and yea the masking and projecting one side would create a seam just hold shift and smooth it out at the middle of the sub division or a subdivision before the highest on a low setting.

Also it sounds like your adding too much details too fast zbrush doesn't work that way until you understand it fully, some pros can work in a high subd because they understand the application for the most part and can "cheat", someone new shouldn't just straight to sudb 5 or even 3 until 2 looks really dense with details.

You also never posted that image :) above of whatever mesh your talking about.
    But do what Bek said.