Home Technical Talk

Smoothing/Normals Seams - Low Poly - Marmoset

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
tremulant polycounter lvl 17
Hi guys, I have a shading issue on my low poly model when imported into Marmoset. Along every seam in my uvs there are what appear like hard edges. If I export with normals checked in the obj exporter in 3ds max, the model looks fine along the uv seams but has all sorts of shading errors on random triangles throughout the model. This model was exported from max 2012 and imported into the newest version of Marmoset with the tangent space in marmoset set to 'marmoset. I will add that I tried importing into sketchfab, and 3ds max the same obj and there are no shading errors.

Low Poly only - No smoothing or normals checked off on export dialogue:

screenshot001.png

Normal and other maps applied :

screenshot000.png

Thanks for any and all help on this issue guys, I have searched high and low for the answer, and have yet to find it. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if you baked in 3dsmax, make your tangent space match it in marmoset.
  • tremulant
    Offline / Send Message
    Gir, thanks for the reply. I actually baked my normal maps in Xnormal, but I don't think it's a normal map issue. This is just the low poly with no normal maps applied. It appears to be some kind of shading issue resulting from the seams on my uvs. Any ideas?
  • tremulant
    Offline / Send Message
    If I export an obj from 3ds max with normals and smoothing checked, the seams go away on the low poly, but when I apply the normal map there are lots of shading issues that appear like triangles that haven't been welded.

If I go a step further and export from 3ds max to Xnormal with my normals and or smoothing checked off for the low poly, i end up with errors in the bake.

Last I want to add that I checked the model in xnormal's model viewer with the Normal map applied, and there are no shading erros.
  • EarthQuake
    If your map is baked in XN, change the tangent space to XNormal/Mikktspace within Toolbag.

You can also bake in Max, and change the tangent space to Max within Toolbag, this will likely give you the best results.

You may want to triangulate your mesh before exporting, if you're baking a mesh with quads in XN it may get triangulated differently in Toolbag, which will give you X shaped smoothing errors, and means you need to triangulate first.

In either case, make sure normals are exported. Mesh normals are required for proper display in Toolbag.
  • tremulant
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanted to write back and say I got it all worked out thanks to all of your suggestions. Thanks!!
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    halldor polycounter lvl 6
    @tremulant  how did you fix it ?