Home General Discussion

Looking to interview an artist

Hello, and thanks for reading. I'm a high school student writing a research paper on video game artists because I want to follow this career path. For my paper I need to get a source from a person currently in the field. So if anyone would like to oblige I'd be very grateful! You can send me a PM if you'd prefer that. Here's what I'd like answered:

Name:
How long you've been in the field:
Companies/names you work for:
Region/city you work in:
What a typical day consists of:
Favorite part of your job:
Least favorite part of your job:
Additional notes you think someone considering this should know:

I would love if multiple people answered/came up with other information they'd like to provide. Anything helps. Thanks for your time!

Replies

• rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Name: Rogelio Olguin

How long you've been in the field: 13 Years or so.

Companies/names you work for:

Misc Freelance, Kamehan / Atari, Atari, Epic Games, Framestore, 4mm, Crystal Dynamics, Naughty Dog (current)

Region/city you work in: LA

What a typical day consists of ?

Drive 1 hr to work on the 405 highway to ND. I get 30 mins earlier mostly so most of the time people are not in the studio only a few that is quite time where I can prep the day on. I read e-mails reply to anything that is needed. Once people come in I sometimes go talk to some of the team members to see what they have done and just get an idea what is going on. Depends on the day but usually I start setting up for texturing, uving, modeling, or doing some tools in SD. Either one the morning is mostly prep work getting things sorted answer more e-mails as they come. Lunch arrives very quickly and I go to lunch sometimes a full lunch or a half lunch either or. When I come back from lunch my mission is set for whatever I will end up doing and I do it and usally I set a clear goal of finishing something or getting to a clear point to pick it up the next day. Every day is a little different for me and depending how close deadlines are the less I am experimenting with stuff and just react and art.

Favorite part of your job ?

Being able to experiment, Finding new workflows for stuff to speed up my personal workflow.

Least favorite part of your job ?

Deadlines that are too tight but this is everywhere really...

Additional notes you think someone considering this should know
    ?

Have patience would be the best thing I can say to an aspiring game artist.

Another is work smart and listen to your peers critiques especially the harder ones.

Do not linger on one project forever, several smaller projects with a key goal to learn something specific is better than one huge impossible demoralizing project.

Entering the industry is hard but it is not hard for dedicated people. Put your head down work hard and you will be fine.

Do not get attached to your work.