Home Technical Talk

GoZbrush Maya vs Max

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
How come I can GoZ export models with horrible geometry in max, but anything non quad or tri zbrush chokes on if they come from maya?

With dynamesh and zremesher It is nice to be able to throw horrible geometry into zbrush very quickly.

Just curious if there are any work arounds for this so I can continue modelling like a shameless slob.

THANKS!

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Just throw this bit of MEL script before the first line inside the GoZ shelf button in Maya and it will auto-triangulate ngons before sending over:
    polyCleanupArgList 3 { "0","1","1","0","1","0","0","0","0","0.001","0","1e-005","0","1e-005","0","-1","0" };

• Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome you are my hero. Thanks for the reply! I will definitely give this a try!
  • 1tch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1tch polycounter lvl 8
    Why not just use the triangulate mesh function in Maya?
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For efficiencies sake. If I have multiple objects its nice to not have to worry about which ones need to be triangulated and which don't. I can deal with n-gons getting triangulated (although ideally that wouldn't have to happen). Triangulating the entire mesh is just unnecessary and frustrating at times. I may want to keep my clean geo to work with later, constantly undoing my triangulation just to send models into zbrush is a waste of time.

Its also annoying to pop a mesh over to zbrush to see that it is rejected.

Bartalons suggestion is a very nice workaround for that.