Home General Discussion

How long did it take you to break into the game industry?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys i have a question, I'm only have 1 and a half years left of college and im starting to work on a portfolio. Im trying to work hard because i want to get a job right out of school but i know its easier said then done.

Im wondering how long the average time to break into the industry is? I know that it may be as simple as saying, if your good, you will get in, but i've read stories of talented people still taking a long time to get their foot in the door.

So, how long did it take you to break into the industry?

I want to know what to expect for when i graduate.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    What do you consider 'in the industry'? A big AAA studio, or does a small indie team count? Or does just whether or not you are getting paid count?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    My thoughts are unpaid internships don't count, working in related fields doesn't count, doing a few freelance jobs a year doesn't count. If you can fully support yourself by freelancing (or selling assets) or working at a studio full time, that counts.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I got Lucky. Job offer less than 3 months after Graduation, and, nearly a month of that was back and forth with interviews, and waiting to hear about the next steps. I then started the job about 2 or 3 months after the offer. (work permit and all that)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I tried as a Character Artist for 1 year or so. After changing to environments 3 months to land a full-time job.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Took me a year after school, though I was kind of meandering and wasn't really directed towards games. Once I found direction, it took probably 8 months? It was 6 Months of 'Folio building and 2-3 months of applications.

Even when you're in, it takes a lot of effort to stay in.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    A question for those of you who got in, what was your method of applying?

Did you just email your portfolio to your local game studios or did you also apply outside of your country? Also, did you still apply to places that weren't actively hiring?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Apply everywhere, first priority is places that are hiring, second is places that match your portfolio style, third is local, forth is within your country, fifth is outside your country.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To get in full-time at a company, 5 years.

I started learning game art at 17, went to university for it at 20 and after 2 years there, got a job at a local indie company as part of the work placement year. During that time I got contacted by a friend who I'd done some freelance/indie work with asking if I wanted to apply at the company he was at 'cause they were looking for character artists. So I updated my folio and applied there, and posted my folio up here for crits. Someone from R* saw it, asked if I wanted to supply so I did and - after a shamefully bad art test - got the job. Been here since.

So it's a mixture of luck, hard work and networking.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Emailed everywhere. At the time (9 years ago) it was a bit more forgiving with different styles, workflows, etc. Nowadays I would only to apply to places that have work similar to your portfolio. Or tailor your portfolio per piece to each place.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    It took me a year, self-taught starting from scratch. However, I had money saved up , so I spent at least 8 hours every day for a year to get good enough to land a job.

Disciplined hard work, skills, networking and luck basically.

Make lots of friends in the industry and it'll be easier for sure. :)
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    ZacD wrote: »
    Apply everywhere, first priority is places that are hiring, second is places that match your portfolio style, third is local, forth is within your country, fifth is outside your country.

mhm i wouldnt go with that, i´d go:
    1. places in your country that are hiring
    2. places in your country
    3. places that match your portfolio style and that are hiring

for breaking in the industry everything else probably is a waste of time.
    If you are EU based you can count the whole EU as your country if you speak fluent english and the studio has an english website.

if you want to work at a certain studio its a big plus if you tailor atleast one piece in your portfolio to their style.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    I got my first job contact just before uni. I have been posting a lot of work at my country's local forum and one lucky day I have been contacted by local studio with internship offer. It was only during the summer but right after graduation I got full time contract. So my suggestion is to post all what you are doing be it wip or finished work. Also breakdowns are very important. They show how you work.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    A year to break in, barely 4 months to break out. YOLO etc
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Started self learning at like 15yrs old, was lucky enough to network my way into an indie job out of High school (18yrs old, waited until I wasn't in grade school anymore), went to college after getting fed up with boot strapping at the indie studio, dropped out of college, worked on the port for like 3 months, got freelance for a year, and now 20yrs old, at High Moon - Activision/Blizzard working on an unannounced title as an associate tech artist (lighting/optimization). Really comes down to how badly you want it. I worked every spare second of every day on my portfolio and studies. When I wasnt working I was playing games or reading about them. Just about anything is possible if you want it badly enough.

Really comes down to networking, dedication, and portfolio quality. My port has always just been meh, but I pride myself on my ability to self advertise/network within my local community. If you can network, and not be a dick, as well as have a skill set that matches what the company needs... You shouldn't have any trouble getting any entry level jobs. Once you are in, just push the portfolio to that next level in your spare time, and you wont have any worries about future work. And once again, its more than just getting the job but also being an asset to the team once you are in, that is job security.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Edit damn it, uhm idk 1 year self taught started sort of young, 9 years ago, i think not sure.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    3 years of studying interactive design plus 2 years in marketing and design while I applied for jobs occasionally.