Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Massive Art Test (Passed) Interview (Fail)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
PLEASE NOTE FAN ART ONLY/ NOT OFFICIAL ARTWORK
6eYp4Ul.jpg
UQnpXjs.jpg
yPQ4IEP.jpg
VZOIVNZ.jpg
X0KSzaL.jpg
RFUr8N2.jpg
ftZnpCK.jpg
gjiUctD.jpg
TaV6PZy.jpg
xfJxSMH.jpg
6ECW3dS.jpg
xjqNriL.jpg
UmxF4Cz.jpg
IE2vjus.jpg
PV3fKiQ.jpg
WHive5O.jpg

Replies

• JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    Looks great Dazz3r, can tell you spent alot of time on these assets and the quality is miles ahead of your previous work so you can hold your head high :D

Replace the two other placeholder buildings with better ones and then you'll have a great portfolio scene there.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looking good!
    The concrete blockades look like rubber however, the edges are way too soft and the cracks have the same definition as the clean surface

Do you mind sharing how you went for those cardboxes ? How did you generate / apply the normals ?
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the comments :)

Shrike, all I did was set out a texture sheet using photographs of cardboard in photoshop, created the writing/ markings on the box on a different layer, and ran the cardboard layer without the markings through crazybump to create the corresponding normal map. Then UV'd the box over the texture sheet.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Should you be posting this art test online?
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah they said as long as I clearly label it as fan art, which it is.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Dazz3r wrote: »

lol, nice work, hey man it happens, i am a horrible people person ..sometimes.. when i am nervous cause i want the position so bad so don't feel bad. I think they do there worst to make you shit your pants so it is deliberate if that happen to you.:thumbup:
    Also i am getting older and pretty much don't care to impress anymore lol so f-em if they get there panties in a bunch.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Nice one dude, really like your take on it. I did this test too earlier last year but they never got back to me.

I had trouble with the glass sections and broken glass at the time. Some solid asset work in your shots though.
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @D4V1DC - I'm not sure they were trying to make me shit my pants, I genuinely think it was just a case of me not being experienced enough. They came across really friendly and approachable.

@Mr Bear - Yeah the glass section is one that took a lot of tweaking in both photoshop and the shader in UDK, ended up being a bit of a headache.
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    It all looks pretty nice man! The only crit I could possibly give is that some of the concrete stuff kind of has that "stock plastic" udk kinda feel to it. Maybe its just the lighting or my eyes, but I think the materials there could be improved (notably the pillars).

Otherwise nice work. Shame you didn't get the job! :( But hey, now you got a good looking portfolio piece.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they want it to be labeled as fan art so the public isn't aware its their art test, so putting both fan art and art test kind of defeats the purpose. I would air on the side of caution and remove anything indicating it is an art test for Massive from the image.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    they might want it labeled as fan art so no one makes the mistake of these being leaked images from the actual game and it blowing up over the internet.

art test turned out great! i like the presentation of it all, with the very simple stand in buildings in the background, really helps ground the piece. nice work, sorry you didnt get the gig though!
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    Great work!
    Especially loving the graffiti and the broken glass :)
    How long did it take you to complete all of this?