Home Technical Talk

Quick retopo question

I've been doing a lot of highpoly modeling and was curious if it was worthwhile for me to retopo a high poly model before baking the normals onto the low poly? Or is zbrush decimation tools/quick topo tools efficient enough to bake nice normals for my low poly?

Replies

• Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Some people like and don't like the decimation tool in zbrush because if everything you make is decimated, it doesn't show that you know how to retopo with proper geometry flow and an awareness of lo poly optimization.

For evironment and non-deforming meshes, decimation gets the job done, optimization can always come later (that's where retopo and clean up is needed). For characters, I'm certain that's out of the question, character geometry needs corrent geometry flow and edge loops different from static and non-deforming meshes.

It is only worthwhile to decimate for the purpose of rapid prototyping. To see how something will ultimately look like in the product. You will get good normals from a decimated model, although you'll have better control over your seams by retopoing.

Just keep in mind that decimation is not intended to make a final product, but to iterate on something to get you to that product. Whatever gets the job done and ships without problem is always going to be the right way.
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am afraid you missed my point a bit, I should be cleared.
    I am speaking of high poly to low poly baking. As in, the lower poly model will be my final product and is nice and clean, Do high poly's bake better if they have been retopo'd, decimated, or does it just generally not matter?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    Frawmus wrote: »
    I am afraid you missed my point a bit, I should be cleared.
    I am speaking of high poly to low poly baking. As in, the lower poly model will be my final product and is nice and clean, Do high poly's bake better if they have been retopo'd, decimated, or does it just generally not matter?

your lowpoly model has no way of knowing what your highpoly topology is.

all that matters is your highpoly mesh surface quality rather than its topology. if the surface is clean and looks the way you want then that is how your normal map will look like.
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, makes sense. Theres no special "Too many polygons confuses the rays when creating a normal map"?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    Frawmus wrote: »
    Okay, makes sense. Theres no special "Too many polygons confuses the rays when creating a normal map"?

no

there is no such thing as too many polygons. you could even bake a normal map from a 100 million polygon mesh if your machine can handle.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Decimated meshes as high-poly are interresting in case you have hardware limitations, since they will consume less memory during a bake. They will be also quicker to bake since they are less heavy.
    Most of the time they are fine, but depending of your baking software they can introduce artifacts. I have seen some edge softening errors on my decimated mesh used as high-polys in xNormal for example (on rare occasions fortunately).