Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help! Revolver Model - smooth or normal map?

Hi guys, id appreciate if I could get some of your help.

Im trying to build this revolver with some parts smooth (handle and triggers) and some parts hard (gun base I suppose?)

There is no poly limit, I just simply want to render out some high quality images of my model and I want to know the best way to do it.

I have set up the handle as if I was to smooth it, but then after smoothing I realised that perhaps a normal map could have the same result? Or perhaps it doesn't matter because I have no poly limit. Regardless I was just wondering if the same smooth result was possible from a normal map. It should be right?

A more important question however is how can I smooth out the area indicated by the black arrow? the cylinders are part of a hard surface that I don't want to smooth. I know I should have used more polygons but it was a mistake and I suppose I can only fix it with a normal map right?

Should I just send this part into mudbox and smooth out the areas I want to smooth then print the normal map? Sound right to me I tink.

Thanks for any replies, please do give any constructive criticism on the typology.

kpNsMvC.png

Replies

• bazz_boyy
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Considering you have an unlimited poly count, you're working on what's called a "high poly." You generally won't need to apply normal maps unless you're making a game-resolution model, or for some reason you're trying to render out super-fine detail. For general modelling however you should take advantage of the smooth preview across your entire model, not just certain parts. Having a half-and-half mix of smooth and not-smooth will cause your model to look weird.

As for the cylindrical area you want to smooth out but not use your smooth preview to accomplish it: your edge normals are hard, probably a result of extruding. Just select the edges you want to not be hard and go to Normals > Soften Edge.

Your topology could use some cleaning up. Along the top above where the cylinder would rest, you have a lot of pointless edge loops that don't serve any purpose. Your grip seems a bit boxy still and I feel like it would be uncomfortable to wield. One thing to note about subdivided modelling (the smooth preview) is the fewer edge loops you have the better. As your edge density becomes more cluttered, it becomes more difficult to modify the surface topology. Only use what you need based on how the smooth preview looks. It's hard to say about some of those other edge loops because you say you're not smoothing some parts of your mesh. Your barrel has quite a few sides to it, but I guess that's because you aren't smoothing it. If you did use smooth preview on your barrel, you could accomplish the same roundness with just an 8 sided cylinder.

I would suggest to better learn how to use supporting edge loops in conjunction with the smooth preview to create nice rounded corners and smooth surfaces. Participating in the Weekly Hard Surface Challenge could help you greatly in this regard.
  • bazz_boyy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright Bartalon thanks for your input it really does help, I'll go ahead and use your advice :).

Edit: " Having a half-and-half mix of smooth and not-smooth will cause your model to look weird." Information like this is really important aswell! Cheers lol

Actually I should also add that I was using the bevel tool a lot to try and model without smooth but obviously I saw the smooth preview and thought it looked a whole lot better.