Home General Discussion

Hello, I need some suggestions plz

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Jeffrotull polycounter lvl 3
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to these forums but I follow the P&P section religiously. I've been running through digital tutors tutorials for awhile now. Mostly for maya. Haven't gotten around to Zbrush yet. But seeing as I start a class for game modeling in about a month I was wondering if you guys maybe had some suggestions as far as modeling goes. What would be some good props for me to start out on, on my own? What did you start on when you first got started modeling/ texturing for games? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Just puck up what inspires you, but keep in mind it should be simple. For example, if you enjoy sci-fi, find a concept art or a reference model and recreate small piece of it. It might be some funky door from an environment, or just a pile of logs, if you like realism or fantasy settings :)
  • Mrfido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrfido polycounter lvl 11
    Ya just start working on something. For me I tried molding what was in front of me on my desk. Something that I could touch and really examine.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    whatever captures your mind man, I cant tell you what to make, its easy when you are given direction, but what inspires you? see a nice piece of modular architecture? model that, like the grooves on your deep fat frier? thats a good one to model that, maybe make a sword, its so much better if you pick the project when theres no obligations because its that inspiration which will help you finish it.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    I started modeling stuff a little too complex for myself but had the inspiration for them. I just wish I started on simple props, barrels, and crates to practice texturing.
  • Jeffrotull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffrotull polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks everyone, I'll definitely start with some stuff that's inspirational to me. And maximum I'll definitely keep that in mind when it comes to learning to texture and unwrap UV's on more simple meshes. Very excited. If anyone else has any more suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    There's nothing more inspirational than a wooden barrel!