Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Gun Model

Hello All!
For class, I'm working on modeling a gun. Never having made one before, it's quite daunting! For these pics, I AM going to thin out the stock (I think that's what it's called-the large chunk of mass in the back that would go against a person's shoulder...). I've been told there is an issue with 'the grip'...not sure what or where that would be...also the stabilizing piece is simply blocked in for the moment. Any advice or recommendations are welcome. Seriously. I have no pride. I just want to get better haha!!

Replies

• SuperDuty455
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperDuty455 polycounter lvl 6
    I'm not sure how it's supposed to be held. The back part made of two plates would be the stock right ? And the metal pointy iron thing on the bottom is the trigger guard ? And the curved piece on the bottom is a handle ?

Even for a steampunk/fantasy type of firearm, that seems to be a pain to use due to its lack of ergonomy. I think you should imagine yourself or a human character using it (if that's what it's meant for). Have you ever had a rifle in your hands ? Guns are made the way we know because it helps the shooter in holding it comfortably so he can keep his target in sight.

So I think you should redesign the rear part.

Other than that the mesh looks clean. Did you use a concept art ?
  • Anya Starr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super-yes, absolutely. The rear part is going to be redesigned...and no, sadly I have never held a rifle. I've been looking at tons of reference, but honestly that seems like it can only go so far. I'll post updates and hopefully get it closer to functionality! I had a vision of someone holding it...but perhaps that needs to be rethought. I used several different concept ideas and bashed them together, with some of mine own thrown in (as per instruction: we were not to design it completely from the ground up ourselves; but bash and riff). Thank you very much-the mesh itself is kind of wonky imo-because this is the high poly and I'm not too concerned with polycount and weirdness haha!! Will keep updating!
  • Anya Starr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooooo...changed the position of the grip etc...a few more small changes. Probably will also be using Weld script upcoming here. Thoughts? Advice? Irish jigs?? xD
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    A few thoughts:

The stock is probably too curved to fit nicely into your shoulder, it would wrap around too much. Most guns have fairly flat shoulderpads with slight bends.

The trigger seems to be too close to the stock. With the shoulderpad resting on your shoulder, your arm would have to be bent out and then sharply back in to reach it—quite awkward, uncomfortable, impractical. Maybe move the trigger forward or lengthen the stock. The rim going around the stock might be problematic too as it sticks out at the shoulderpad, which would dig into your arm. The shoulderpad should be pretty flat.

How do you aim? It seems like the big shapes are the rear would obscure most of your view.

Maybe make the rings at the very end of the main barrel the same thickness.

A lot of your details seem very floaty and unattached. Where you have the six T shaped braces connecting the main barrel and upper barrel work well because the shapes fit together nicely. Other areas don't look as well designed.
  • Anya Starr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bek! Awesome feedback!! Definitely working on the shapes more today haha. Cheers!
  • Anya Starr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok,
    Elongated stock and removed trim, moved trigger, added a few details. Also increased size of micro details by at least 20%.
  • dazzerfong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To make the gun more holdable, soften up the edges near where you'd hold your weapon.
  • SuperDuty455
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperDuty455 polycounter lvl 6
    Exactly, remember the holder has to wrap his hand around this part. Not easy to feel comfortable holding a square shaped object ^^

The trigger guard should should go all the way down the grip, or only around the trigger. I don't think all fingers would fit as it is.

The top of the stock should have a cheek pad or somewhere the shooter can put his head when sighting.

I'd suggest you look at vintage rifles like the M14 or the Kar98K, they're very comfortable. The only weapon that has a stock that goes up like that is the M79, but it's not a rifle.
  • Anya Starr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, Rounding the area where it would be held; is that enough? I tried to make it as smooth and natural looking as possible. Working on other details (such as trigger guard, etc).
  • dazzerfong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bottom of the grip's looking much better, now smooth out the top too!

The stock, while also looking better, would perform much better if, rather than a concave (inwards) shape, it had a straighter stock.