Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity - Mobile] Slam Dunk Basketball 2 WIP

We have started full production of our upcoming sequel to Slam Dunk Basketball. The first game hit 4 million downloads on iOS and Android and was featured by Apple on multiple occasions.

For the sequel we have gone over to Unity and full 3D and will be refining and expanding upon the first games features. We will be posting WIP of levels, ui, gameplay etc in this thread. We are currently 2 artists and 5 coders working on this project.

Here is a early screenshot of one of the new levels. Feedback is always wanted so we can make the sequel even more awesome :)

Level1.jpg

Replies

• Katori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Katori polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great, always good to see good Unity graphics in here. I'm guessing that the lighting is baked? Is the texture blending on the walls (paint and bricks) baked as well? I have been looking for a method for blending dynamically with vertex colours.

Big props on the detail.
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Katori wrote: »
    Looks great, always good to see good Unity graphics in here. I'm guessing that the lighting is baked? Is the texture blending on the walls (paint and bricks) baked as well? I have been looking for a method for blending dynamically with vertex colours.

Big props on the detail.

Yes lightning is baked and the walls are only using plain textures. Haven't found any found any cost efficient way of doing blending other than regular texture splatting but that just doesn't cut it for much else than terrains.

Since our scenes are quite small and focused we can get away with just using high resolution textures and props to hide some of the tiling ;)
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A minor update before I go home. Added some props and made some adjustments to lightning and toned down the rust on the pillars.

I will make a new hoop that fits more with the environment, the bottle in the scene is mockup, also the upper windows looks strange so I'll remake the texture for them also the small pebles ain't textured yet.

If something is out of place or looks like shit please tear me a new one :thumbup: Paintovers would be awesome if someone has any ideas as well

Warehouse3.jpg
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a new hoop that fit better in the environment today and added some minor details. I will try to write/find a shader to get the reflections for the water puddles to line up better with the world and also fix the bottle in the corner that doesn't have any texture yet.

But then I'm probably gonna call it finished for now. If anyone have any feedback let me know so I can push the scene further!

Game view
    Warehouse4.jpg

Overview from Editor
    Warehouse_view2.jpg
  • KMNettelbladt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMNettelbladt polycounter lvl 8
    Here is a preview of another level, it's mostly done. It still needs a unique hoop and some sorting fixes.

pz5n.jpg

level overview:
    eif9.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really nice environment, the ui looks like its come out of a kart racing game or something?
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    really nice environment, the ui looks like its come out of a kart racing game or something?

The UI has changed a bit since last time. You will be competing against friends so the "race" feeling is still there :P

Anyway, here is a first draft of the Slam Dunk Basketball 2 logo. It is animated ingame with the ball spinning slowly.

Logo.jpg
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have now officially announced the game and here is the image we went with for the reveal :)

[FONT=&quot]Announcement.jpg[/FONT]
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started workin on our third level this week, have been mocking up and trying to fill the space as well as getting some interesting lighting in place.

Comments/feedback/paintovers are always appreciated

UnderpassWIP.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A chain net would be a better fit for the environment.
    8878242-basketball-hoop-with-a-net-made-from-chains.jpg
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker: Yeah, you are right. I'll fix that next week
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    cool new environment scene. I guess I was just confused by the ui because the game looks 'street style' and gritty/grungy so I was expecting something more like that rather than the slick shiny logo but it is a really nice clean sharp style and that makes it easier for the user to interact with on a mobile.
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged: I understand your point, there is always a struggle with UI to get it to fit with the art and still be simpleand readable for the user. Since the target is a quite broad audience we went with a really clean and simple UI to avoid confusion for the player. It blends better with the art when seen with the whole flow between screens etc.
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update for the Underpass level. Starting to think the stairs is a bad idea and that I should replace it with something that fits better.. Any ideas?

Also might have gone a little overboard with the steam from the wall.. Tell me if something looks whacked and I'll fix it.

I will texture the bridge and make a new hoop next.

UnderpassWIP2.jpg
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    waldo wrote: »
    Yes lightning is baked and the walls are only using plain textures. Haven't found any found any cost efficient way of doing blending other than regular texture splatting but that just doesn't cut it for much else than terrains.

Since our scenes are quite small and focused we can get away with just using high resolution textures and props to hide some of the tiling ;)

Isn't it strange that the god rays come from multiple directions?

Other then that, nothing to criticize. The scenes all look very well done and polished :).
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie wrote: »
    Isn't it strange that the god rays come from multiple directions?

Other then that, nothing to criticize. The scenes all look very well done and polished :).

Ohh, the warehouse scene. Yeah, you are correct. How did I not see of that? :P Will fix it when I get back to that scene, have to rebake the lighting for that scene anyways..
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have textured the bridge now, only a few props, a new hoop and some detailing with decals left.

UnderpassWIP3.jpg
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished up the last things.. If there isn't anything I should fix now I will call this done for now.

UnderpassWIP5.jpg
  • PaulW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Stages you did there, according to the last one, the only things come to my mind would be:

1. Some Grafitti or posters on the walls...
    2. Some Random trash details would be nice, like cans or bottles, newspapers or stuff like that... not much, just here and there.

Besides of that,this is good work! :)
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you are right, I will add some decals and trash to the scene :)
    PaulW wrote: »
    Nice Stages you did there, according to the last one, the only things come to my mind would be:

1. Some Grafitti or posters on the walls...
    2. Some Random trash details would be nice, like cans or bottles, newspapers or stuff like that... not much, just here and there.

Besides of that,this is good work! :)
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We are working hard with the sequel and here is the first trailer we made last week.

Hope you like it :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfDLC86G_T8&hd=1"]Slam Dunk Basketball 2 Teaser - YouTube[/ame]
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We are getting real close to a beta version now and have been playing the latest version all weekend. It is going to be something else I can tell you that :)

Will try to post some screenshots of some more levels this week!
  • Fishypants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great, my only crit would be in the first series of screenshots, you have light shafts coming from multiple directions, and some going the opposite way of the sun, which is wrong. All in all though nice work! Looks awesome.
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I have been meaning to fix that but always forget it. Will fix it before we release it so people don't think they are playing basketball on a planet with two suns ;)
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slam Dunk Basketball 2 was sent in for review yesterday and will be out 13th of februari :) We have been working our asses off these last few weeks to get everything ready and all the bugs squashed.

Will post a gameplay trailer next week!

Icon_512.png
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Gameplay trailer for Slam Dunk Basketball 2 is live and it launches on February 13th!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EKStvr3IWM&hd=1"]Slam Dunk Basketball 2 Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Are you guys excited? :)

Contact Us
    www.visualdreams.se

Facebook.pngTwitter.pngYouTube.png
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anyone would be interested in a Preview version let me know and I'll hook you up :)

It plays on both iOS and Android.
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slam Dunk Basketball 2 is now live on AppStore and Google Play!
    2bf987f6-ac9d-4f38-a6ed-ce41e202eea1.png

Slam Dunk Basketball 2 celebrates everything sports are about; skills, challenging others, winning and playing to reach eternal fame. Players hustle for cash against each other in two game modes, Head to Head and 8 Player Tournaments. Winnings are used to enter more exclusive events and purchase new balls to show off for other players.

Get it while it's hot :)
    GoogleBadge.pngAppStoreBadge.png

Screenshot1.png
    Screenshot2.png
    Screenshot3.png
    Screenshot4.png
    Screenshot5.png
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EKStvr3IWM&hd=1"]Slam Dunk Basketball 2 Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

GoogleBadge.pngAppStoreBadge.png
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    Beautiful environments, really nicely composed as well. I think I almost like the more vibrant colours in the first shot though, definitely giving of a SF4 vibe. The only thing I'd say though is I think the UI needs work based on these screenshots. UI on mobile is as important if not more important than the game's 3d graphics and I think it doesn't meet the same standard currently.

Great job though.