Home General Discussion

When did you decide that you wanted to make games?

LMP
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
LMP polycounter lvl 13
I came to the conclusion that I was going to make at the age of 12, or so while I was in middle school. Although, the decision to peruse art I didn't make until late in high school. And then, environment art not until a year or so into college.

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I've wanted to make games since I was 5, pretty much ever since I knew they existed. I didn't realize it would be possible for me to seriously pursue this hobby until my freshman year of college, when I was 19. A large part of what encouraged me to start trying to make games was following the scene here on polycount, and trying my hand at making plug-in player models for Quake 2 and 3.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I think all of my friends knew I wanted to work in games before I did. My dream was to be a comic book illustrator. I was working on that, and kinda wnated to go to the Joe Kubert school for college, even though I kinda knew it'd be out of my price rnage because it was out of state. Meanwhile, I had been modding games (mostly morrowind, and oblivion) since I was 13, and any game that came with a map editor (like Far Cry) I would spend hundreds of hours in. Never thought I'd actually get a job working in Cryengine.

When I was 17 my dad suggested I look into a degree in game art and I didn't really like the idea at the time, but I'm really glad I went forward with it. About a year in I realized it's what I really wanted to do, and after finishing my own comic and doing a con I realized how much I did not actually want to pursue comics as a career. It seemed obvious looking back but I was really clueless as to what i was really interested in doing.
  • Spur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    Oh wow, my love and interest started when my dad brought home a Tandy TRS-80 way back in the early 80s. It came with a large program book where you had to enter what you wanted it to do, like play pong, or blackjack. It didn't have a way to save anything so once you powered it down you lost everything. Then I graduated to an IBM and played Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer, 688 Attack Sub (beyond awesome), Red Storm Rising, F-117 Stealth Fighter, Armored Fist, Chuck Yeager's Combat Flight Sim, etc. I didn't start getting into game art until I was way older. My biggest regret was that I didn't get into it earlier.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just fell into it. Been a blast ever since though. Greatest job in the world!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Quake 3 Arena!
    Said this shiznit is dope how do i do it and boom found PC forums, but before that i knew of PC just didn't know how to use it, it used to be a mess of links. ;)<3 Much love to my Pimps & Hoes, can't forget them hoes. :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]This is a whoop ass high res little puppy. The new machine, Adam[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    When I was like 6. I just didn't start taking it seriously as an option until I was in high school.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    When I killed Quarm with my guild in Everquest in 2004.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    MattQ86 wrote: »
    When I was like 6. I just didn't start taking it seriously as an option until I was in high school.
    Same here but replace high school with "post-secondary".

As a kid, I use to draw my own games on paper. The first one was a top down stealth game like Metal Gear Solid and another was this turn based RPG.

I also played a lot of Starcraft and the custom map making helped me unleash my ideas of what games I'd like to make.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    When I first tried an Amiga, watching my eldest brother make animations and art in Deluxe Paint.
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    When I saw tech videos of the first CryEngine.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I was about 27,got a copy of imagine for DOS and then later got duke nukem build editor.
    that really inspired me. it was a challenge just to get this kind of software up and running TBH
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    It was hella eary, I always loved the ideas of MMO's so I went about creating my own, and soon realized that it was a monstrous task.

I was fluffing around for a fair while, but at like 15-16 i got my hands on realm crafter and was like "shieeet son, i need art work" so i made shit myself.

Was working in game sound at the time as freelance, after a while I just switched, fucking hated anything audio related, sold my studio bought some software and shiz and started doing art. I've given up on the MMO idea for now, unless i can come across like a gazillion dollars, or some how learn enough programming so i can push out a prototype, damn Heroengine cost me 5k and its just collecting dust.

Side note, i checked my Heroengine account for the first time in ages yesterday because they sold the licence and everyone got it for free, so i was hella pissed i droped 5k on it.
    Turns out, they have a new subscription revenue system and i have a lifetime subscription, so i'm hella excited
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    Since i was 7. used to make labyrinths in paint for my brother.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    First game was Doom - played it when i was six.
    After getting into the Duke Nukem 3d and Warcraft 2 Editor -
    i decided to make my path into this industry.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I remember talking about making video games when I was younger but I never felt like I made a active decision its more my tinkering nature that drew me towards modding which gave me a deeper understanding of the mechanisms in play then the rest was all one thing leading to another.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Stumbled across some old 3D tutorial sites and thought it was nifty. That got me started on the 3D art path, but I didn't decide to actually make games until my brother and I did a Unity competition on a whim. We got our very first taste of failure but that hook sunk deep :)
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    I've never wanted to make games.

I just wanted to make some form of art. Games just allow me to do it for a living.
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    I loved playing around with the Hammer editor back in Quake and so, and also did a ton of stuff using UnrealEd that came with Unreal Tournament 99.

Also I guess the fact that I played a ton of construction games like SimCity, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc.. got me even more into the whole creating stuff.

So yeah.. been wanting to make games since I was a kid and now I'm working on that, so hey!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I spent years when I was little drawing out a game called Willy the Astro Fox. I don't think I ever actually thought that actually working on games was a possibility until Doom came out and someone explained modding to me. I never actually tried modding it, but the idea was exciting.

One of these days I'm going to try to dump Willy The Astro Fox in all its ten-colour-pen glory into Unity.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it was when I was making Doom and Quake levels for fun and realized that people get paid to do that ... why couldn't I get paid, too? That started me down the path ... Haven't had a real job since!
  • tdHendrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I knew from an early age that I wanted a job that involved games. When I was little I wanted to work at gaming magazine, but when I became I teenager I realized that people made games as a job and started to learn programming and 3D.

If a game I liked had an editor I would always try to make maps for them. I spent a lot of time making maps for Warcraft 2 and Starcraft.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    when i was 15 and started modding for a game. posted my mod on some forums, and everyone told me it was shit and terrible. that motivated me to continue modding to prove them wrong and after a year i fell in love and kept doing it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    RSD Game-Maker got me started but things got real when Quake came out.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9

Similar to myself,

I started playing around with RPG-Maker XP when I was 15-16 and spent so much time using it (and I mean like 15 hour + days at weekends) my mum restricted my PC use :(
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordSebbington polycounter lvl 6
    About a year ago. I started 3D as a casual hobby on University of Reddit, things snowballed and I love it more than I ever thought I would.

I was also pretty late to it, as a kid I always enjoyed games and used to think it would be cool to make games but didn't really pursue it. I remember trying Blender about 10 years ago age 17 and getting nowhere. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't stick with it a little longer. Glad to be here now though.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    After I played Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    CurtisWS wrote: »
    when i was 15 and started modding for a game. posted my mod on some forums, and everyone told me it was shit and terrible. that motivated me to continue modding to prove them wrong and after a year i fell in love and kept doing it.

haha, I know that feeling, I think I only really started getting serious about doing 3D when a 3D artist I know, knew how id been tinkering about in 3d apps after being on the modding and indie scene mostly doing textures and a odd bit of code told me to "leave 3D to the 3D artists", after that the decision had already been made what I was going to move onto with some serious work ethic.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man, I completely forgot about Klik and Play. That was what got me into wanting to do game professionally, not Doom.

Kinda wish I'd saved some of those old games that I made with it. There were loads of them. All probably terrible.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I believe the closest thing I did to game development as a kid was making maps for Starcraft 1. When I was in 5th grade I started trying to learn how to use 3ds max but I struggled a lot and eventually gave up because my family members would always laugh at the shitty "models" I made haha. I started getting more serious about mapping when Unreal Tournament 2004 came out but then I figured I'd never make it into the industry simply because there's too much competition.

Still haven't broken into the industry but I like to code games when I have free time available. I'm currently focusing on software development outside of the games industry since it is a much more stable field but in an ideal universe, I'd be developing games for a living.
  • lonelysquare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lonelysquare polycounter lvl 7
    build engine ftw.