Home Technical Talk

3DS Max 2013 - Caterpillar 797 normal maps

solidshark91493
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
solidshark91493 polycounter lvl 6
Hi there, I just found this place yesterday looking for images to help me along the way on my 797 model. And I came across lukepham's 797 project. I came here looking for some advice on what I can do to increase workflow, And Just basic lessons in modeling. Ive watched MANY tutorials, And it boggles my mind how many things I have yet to understand.
Currently though, because I plan to put this model into a game, its current poly state of nearly 500K polys is NOT going to do, And the majority of it is from the tires. I made a high poly and a low poly model, and Ive been trying to figure out how to do the normal map or "bake" as some call it? It has been giving me issues for weeks and Im wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction.
I can provide a copy of the tire, and the low poly, or just images if needed. :)
Edit* I would like to mention I have scoured this site all day waiting for approval to post looking at things and threads on it.

Replies

• Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Images and wireframe please.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Kbrom - I did find that on my journey. I will be looking there for tuts and stuff.

ivanzu - I feel dumb for saying this but I still dont know all the terms and tools of max yet. So Ill give it a try but dont make fun of me if I dont get it right :p

fv2u.jpg

rqqh.jpg

Is that enough? And before I get a reply on it I feel as though because its not EXACTLY the same shape it wont work, I just re built that tread, But I actually have a identical one thats the full tire. But I couldnt get that to work either.
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey mate,

I would recommend looking at this tutorial and completing this so you can get a good idea of how to model a high poly using sub-d techniques, building an appropriate low poly for it then baking it down. Really helped me to nail down the techniques. I recommend doing the whole tutorial since it'll teach you how to do everything you're trying to do here but the section I linked you specifically is about the baking process.

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/next-gen-weapon-creation-day-3-unwrapping-and-texture-baking/

As others have already said here before, there's loads of stuff on the wiki about normal mapping and it has everything you need to know. Good luck with the project mate!
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright well I'll check it out, Thanks for replying. Do you see any immediate problems with what I have now? Want to see anything else?

Edit* WOW. I kinda winged it, but following the basics of that tut, It actually WORKED! Im not quite sure if I have the right settings or what not. But I think this looks great so far! I know the normal map isnt perfect but its leaps and bounds better than anything I made before.
    I applied it to the tire and my 6K poly tire looks amazing. Now I have to apply this to the three wheels and I should be good to go on poly count to put it in my game. :D

t8fz.jpg

elvo.jpg

291r.png

yc8k.png