Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Murloc Orphanage: Blizzard Student Environment Contest :DDDD

Hi guys! :poly108:

I've been lurker around here and I think it's about time I become more involved in the community by creating my first thread!

This winter, I've been working on my submission for the Blizzard Student contest in the environment section. This is the concept art that I've worked on:

bgmp.jpg

and then here are a few props that aren't visible in the above concept

x9on.jpg

I'll be uploading my 3D progress in a bit but any critique and comments welcome for colors and the idea, which is supposed to be a murloc orphanage! Murloc's were my favorite creatures when I played WoW. Then came the baby murlocs! :poly135: So I thought it'd be fun to use murlocs and King Mrgl Mrgl as a theme. :) anyway, thanks for looking, would appreciate any help!

Replies

• NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Very unique idea! The concept looks pretty solid but the thing that sticks out to me is the fact that it looks like a happy island getaway whereas orphanages are usually shown off with a "sad" or "dark" kind of theme.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing your work in 3D!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Concept needs to be chunkier to fit the WOW style.
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with ZacD. get veeerrryy chunky. Awesome concept!
  • sleepdeprivedslug
    Negevpro: Hmmm I see what you mean. I'll need to think about it some more. Perhaps I need to change it to something more like Daycare or Preschool. Thanks for the thought :)

ZacD and Snafubar7: I agree! I re-examined some concept art on the Blizzard website and looked at what bamboo looks like in Pandaria:

lnf3.jpg

forgot to share some references both from WoW and real world that I gathered:

7msg.jpg
    zfut.jpg

I did a quick sketch over my concept to give it more chunkiness. I think it helps with the feeling of weight of the platform but I think I had to flatten the roof slightly so that it's not so even at the top and bottom.

pkb8.jpg

Thanks for the feedback and more the better :)
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
    No idea about the fitting to the WoW style but the new sketch over looks better! Really nice concept. Looks very fun! Can't wait to see this in 3D.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    New sketch looks great, however, I wouldn't be afraid of going over the top with the form/silhouette, I think its mainly the thatch roof that could be pushed further. Also, the sign, this may seem like a minor issue, but it would look a lot better if it overhung the edge of the thatch, just makes it a little more interesting to look at and breaks up some of the lines.
    The slide being made from the cross section of one massive piece of bamboo would be cool too, in fact, if that isn't made a thing ill very disappoint.

And good luck!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm... you seem to have missed a very important reference:
    kezan02.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I like where you're going with this.

Are baby Murlocs depicted in WoW at all? It's been years since I've played it. I'd wonder whether they might like be tadpoles or the gabbywogs from Munch's Oddessey who only grow their limbs once they reach a certain age. With that in mind, or even without, it might be interesting to work some underwater architecture and props in to your scene, for the very young Murlocs to live and play around.
  • TerryMosier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TerryMosier polycounter lvl 7
    I absolutely love this idea.Good luck! :D
  • Lowpawly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, good luck! Just remember, big shapes and wonky it up.
  • sleepdeprivedslug
    jddg5wa and TerryMosier: Thanks so much!

Eliteabix: Thanks for pushing me to make the silhouette better. You're totally right, it's too symmetrical and kinda boring. I hope this next sketch over I did solves that problem some what. And the huge bamboo cutout is an amazing idea! thanks!

DWalker: haha oh man! that gave me idea for another prop. thanks :D

Jackablade: Yeah I like the idea of incorporating the water a bit more, all I've really got is the slide and floatie. I'll keep brainstorming. And here's what baby murlocs look like in the game

baby_murlocs_by_rangoonmoon-d32t3cs.jpg

here's my next sketch over:

vahu.jpg

I bridged the two buildings together so I could incorporate it in the overall silhouette instead of being visually disconnected. The bridge is made of fishing nets with fishing floats. There's a hammock now coming off of the building with little decorative fish bones hanging from it. Also debating to put a few buildings in the foreground. Feedback appreciated!
  • Lowpawly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would extend out your bamboo supports from the floor and flare out the ends.

Edit, same with the roof supports, keep it chunky, but don't over do it.
  • sleepdeprivedslug
    Lowpawly: Ok! I think I get what you mean. I think I might have done it in my update, if not please let me know!

Here's a quick maya render of my 3D progress. I plan to do the final render in Marmoset with much better lighting.

6vga.jpg

I decided to flip the slide for a better flow and composition:

7v61.jpg

Some WIP textures:

68ez.png

22q4.jpg

99el.jpg

Next, I want to create another texture for the inside of bamboo for that slide and finish texturing the rest of the props. Feedback appreciated!
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Damn dude! Those textures are looking stellar! As usual though, you might want to check out some color variation patches on the wood, by just brushing some super subtle reds and greens in there. You seem to know what you're doing though man, rock on!!!
  • AbKI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Ahhh, this is so cute! :D
  • Nefarius24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nefarius24 polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome stuff, keep up the good work! :D
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    Looking great man! keep at it :D
  • Lowpawly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again! I did a small and quick paint over for a small piece of your wood. Right now if feels a bit flat, try bringing your shapes forward with some lighting, on such a low poly model your textures will make or break the model.

qxk0IJU.jpg
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    I have to say, the woodpaintover looks awesome!I would definitly go with it
  • sleepdeprivedslug
    Thanks everyone!

Lowpawly: Holycraptastic! that paint over is insanely helpful. thank you so much! I'll definitely apply it. I'm beyond grateful.

This update is pretty much on finishing up the modeling:

wtyt.jpg

and then a quick interior shot. lovin those ugly noisy shadows xD

9mkb.jpg

Feedback appreciated as always!
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    It's really coming along! I like the changes you've made from the original design. Those murlocs on the sign Look awesome, I love the proportions. Be careful about losing the big green one against the hut cap.

Look for ways to make texturing quicker by laying out your UVs using more overlap. Props like the Starfish, shells, and anything that could be mirrored or has a radial symmetry are great areas to start with. Then you can overlay more assets on top where you feel it's beginning to have too much repetition.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ocean is really far too placid; at the least add some ripples in the normal map and reduce the reflection and the opacity. At the moment it feels more like a lake than a lagoon. Also, consider having different water colors to show changing depth, and light & dark portions to the sand to show wet/dry spots. Adding a few white highlights to the waves would help as well.

Elwynn%2BMurlocs%2BCrystal%2BLake.jpg
  • sleepdeprivedslug
    ALRIIIIGHT so here's my final submission :)

Environment_Student_Contest_KArrington.jpg

It's definitely no where near perfect and there's a few things I would do if I had more time but it's done for now! I'd also rather move on to other projects.

If you guys are interested in seeing more shots, please take a look at my website http://katerinaarrington.blogspot.com/p/3d.html

Thank you again Lowpawly for the paintover. I really tried to keep in mind lighting and depth more in my textures. You can see them in my website :) Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I'm very grateful.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Looks pretty great to me, good job!
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    It came together nicely dude! All the best of luck :)
  • CSOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That water looks so much better in the final shot! Nice job on the final:)
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Turned out great! The only thing that throws me off a bit is the slide. It's shapes/edges seem to get lost. Good job on completion!