Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Futuristic City Concept

I have completed concept art for my future city project and would like to share it. Now that my concept art is done i am looking for suggestions and ideas to help further polish the design before my build phase.

My project is an ambitious one. Without getting into too much detail ill say this. Its a massive super city designed for a twenty second century ruined earth. These illustrations are only concepts and design details. This year I plan to retopologize and arrange these assets. This is all in preparation to build a udk scene with in the city. The first iteration of this project will mostly be from the perspective of the vertically hanging apartments.

I have a website showcasing more at http://www.prototypecity.net

I am happy to explain in more detail.

fromabove.jpg

sclass.jpg
image_15.jpg
noice.png

wallpaper.bmp
image_7.jpg

Replies

• Arkana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkana polycounter lvl 8
    You made a whole site for just one environment project?

All of your buildings just seem to be washed out with neon colours and have no form or definition at all. As it stands it doesn't look like a city in any sense. Even a future city needs to have things other than tall buildings. "Hanging apartments" doesn't come across well either, it just looks like it's been flipped upside down.

In any case, I'd recommend you spend the time to make a small scene of your future city instead of trying to build the whole thing in one go. It may not seem great to make some small scene when you want a vast one, but it makes a lot more sense.
  • Mebvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all thanks for the feedback. This isn't just one environment project. I have a rather large science fiction story to go along with it. The story is about sustainability and survival. Arcology and city design is still the focus. In sense i am creating a blue print for many scenes.

My buildings are currently just place holders and are mostly screenshots from with in Maya. And since the city is symmetrical it makes sense to design the entire thing.

As for it hanging. That is the entire design principle. All the land below will be untouched and flourishing with forests. All of these images are just design concepts. Not even close to complete. Do you suggest i spend more time adding detail to my concept art?
  • Mebvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All of these Assets are just me experimenting with various geometric forms.

screencap2.jpg
  • Mebvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a sideview of the arcology.

screencapinterface.jpg
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    You told me in a pm that you made a simplified version of what you were working on. That may be true.. but so far this seems still wayy too complex of a project to tackle. Honestly step back and throw alot of the story and stuff in the backburner and concentrate on.. a prop that would go in this city.. or just one single building. Take that to full completion and then move on maybe to the rest of the whatever you want to make. That way too you can accurately plan out how much time you want to dedicate to things and put that into perspective for the overall scope of your project. Small steps or you never progress!
  • Mebvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that makes sense. You should see the iterations and design ideas i pondered before coming to this. Also i have other projects that i have helped me learn different skill sets. I am in the planning stage of building a small blimp like lounge that is floating in one of the sectors. I will use this thread to showcase my zbrush/maya/udk progression of that small level.

thanks for the advice