Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Samurai WIP

Hello, i'm currently working on this new character called Space Samurai, the idea is originally based off from Cowboy Bebop and the new Space Dandy.

I like the idea of merging both futuristic space theme with old school samurai. I'm still trying to get more ideas for the armour, with a merge between stuff like Samus from metroid,Mass effect and traditional samurai armour.

Any critique on my concept so far?

SpaceSamurai_zps9daa3b89.jpg

Replies

• Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    One of the key visual ideas for samurai is large pants they had, although not all Samurai wore those at all points in history, in current mass media, those are one of the key visual pillars of the samurai look. Try to include some of that.

Another is that samurai, also from media, wore two swords, have those on his waist.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I think if you want to keep the armor paneiling simple, a lot of the work and effort is going to have to go to the material definition of all the elements.

Are you going to continue work on the head?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Samurai has quite a few characteristic. So far, you only have one, the sword.
    Try to implement a few more in. Take your pick.

- Long Sword, Katana or Tachi
    - Short Sword, Wakizashi
    - Pole Weapon, Naginata
    - Chain Sickle, Kusarigama
    - Bow
    - large rectangular shoulder pads, Sode
    - upper thigh armors, Kusazuri
    - chest plate, Dou
    - Split Toe socks, Tabi
    - pants, Hakama
    - back banner, Sashimono
    - helmet + mask, w/e it's called
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    +1 for Cowboy Bebop reference.

This website might be useful in researching samurai armor.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Silhouette needs some love. I know you are looking for sleek next generation assassin but it can still have some pizzazz. Small shoulder pads that are made of Teflon. A cape that can camo him. Maybe some cyborg style joints. I think you want this idea to wow people , right? So it deserves a bit more consideration on the back story and how humans have evolved at that point
    Looking forward to where this goes! Cool idea for sure
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    Go with Tabi-shoes for heavier armored samurai, or go with raised sandals for wanderer style.

Kabuki/mempo (helmet/faceplate) is going for armored.

If you're looking "sleeker" it's ninja that you are looking for. Also look into street-sam art from shadowrun, you'll hit that cyber-punk genre.