Home General Discussion

Job searching whilst already employed?

Hey guys,

I've recently made the decision to start looking for a new job and leave my current one. Although my portfolio isn't up to scratch I applied for my first position today at a really awesome studio, I hope I get the job! It got me thinking though - How does one go about applying for a new job whilst still remaining professional in your current one?

To put my position in some context I work for a very small studio. I'm the only artist there and I work in very close proximity with both my boss and other colleagues, because of this my personal space is pretty limited and everyone knows what everyone is doing all the time - It's just how working in a small environment seems to have worked out.

As a result, excusing myself for a phone interview or arranging time off for an on-site one could be extremely awkward and questions would definitely get asked. Time off also requires a few weeks notice and I'm not sure I could reasonably expect a prospective studio to hold off an interview for that long.

One option would be to just lie, take some sick leave or excuse myself in other ways but I'd like to keep a good relationship with the studio and I think it would be fairly obvious I'd taken the days off to go to an interview. I can't imagine my boss would take kindly to this and I'm worried it could sever any ties with the company.

Lastly (and somewhat unrelated) I'm feeling pretty guilty about the whole situation. Because it's a really small studio I'd feel like I was letting some friends down by leaving - especially as we're in the middle of game cycle. Although there are a lot of very good reasons for wanting to leave, the company has been good to me for the last two years and I do feel like I'm somewhat betraying that good will by secretly applying for other positions. Is this justified?

tl;dr: How should you approach taking time off for interviews? Is feeling guilty about leaving a company normal?

Thanks!

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I went through this exact same thing over the past few months.

So, I had the luck of the job being a few hours behind, so when I got the email to set up a phone interview, I asked for it to be after work hours. they couldnt do as late as i would like, so I scheduled it for as late as possible, then just asked my job for the last hour of work off for a doctors appointment.

When I made it past the first interview, and they wanted to fly me out for a second, I sat down with my boss and had a talk. Told them exactly what was happening, the chances looked good, but i didnt go looking for the job. A friend came to me about it. because I was so open about it all, my bosses were actually very supportive, gave me any time off i needed for the second interview, and as a group, we were able to start thinking about how to tie up any loose ends that I might leave. If I didnt get the job, they wouldnt have held it against me, but because I did get it, Im leaving everyone in a good spot because we planned ahead.

So, make an excuse about the first interview. Doctors appointment or something. But as soon as the chances are higher, tell them. Especially if you`re the only artist.

Also, I had the same feelings. I was in a higher up position. People relied on me for stuff. I was the go to guy for a lot of stuff. I was there for 3 years, small group of people. All friends. I was nervous about telling people once I got it, or telling my art director (who was my friend befor the job... she got me the job in teh first place), but everyone was so supportive and happy. They admit it will be tough when Im gone, but they are happy for me.

You gotta do what's best for you. Just my two cents.
  • seir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Positive thinking is good but in that case try to think that you won't get the job but remember that applying is worth trying. This should make you less worried when waiting for the reply. I think that the most common and big mistake is to get really horny for a new job, talk about trying to "abandon the ship" before anything is clear. Keep calm and do your job until you'll get a green light from a new employer. All this will keep your hands clear when you won't get a new job. Your bosses won't notice that and will still trust you, you won't be depressed because you didn't get the job... Don't feel guilty about that, you need a day or two days off, take that chance but remember, don't announce anything until you're not 100% sure. If you're a key employee you could put your team's morale down, if people like you they will thinking about missing you, asking where you want to apply etc. and the work time is over, managers won't be happy...
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Lying kicks ass. sometimes I do it just for the hell of it :P

seriously though just make some bs excuse like you are sick or you have to pick somone up from the airport etc. it really isnt any of their business to ask further questions and most likely they wont.

The feeling guilty thing is something I was familiar with when I first started in the industry and was branching out for a better paying, more awesome job. you dont owe your company anything, its simply business and if they are professional they will act like that. anyone who gets butt hurt because someone chooses to leave for more money or a better opportuinity while not offering to match the new offer is pretty rediculous.

The thing with smaller companies is you are probably closer knit with management than say if you worked at EA and could just email HR with your notice and peace out. No company hires someone thinking they are going to stay with them forever, as long as you are not a dick about it it should work fine. expect a day or 2 of awkwardness maybe but then things should roll on as normal.

get that money, get that jobby :) oh and always quote 5-10k more in your interviews than you are making, if you expect a decent raise/offer.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    i always used my PTO for in house interviews or phone interviews.

Every place i worked at never asked what i was using my PTO for, probably because its respectful of ones privacy
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Lying, at least initially is really the only option you have. It may feel strange, but it really is the best thing to do. Keep things cordial, and professional, and it will work out OK in the end. Yes, you have to lie about a sick day or two, but you are doing this for your best interest. Most of the time your bosses/co-workers will be happy for your career progress, but of course they want you to stay so they don't have to spend more time and money looking for your replacement. After the first interview, if things look positive, let your bosses know that you have an opportunity you are seriously considering to take. The more time for them, the better the transition goes, and everyone has a much better experience. NEVER burn bridges, even if you feel you are leaving a shitty situation. If you have made friends, it sucks leaving them. But in the end, you need to make the right decision for you.

Having recently been through this, its the best advice I can offer.
    get that money, get that jobby oh and always quote 5-10k more in your interviews than you are making, if you expect a decent raise/offer.

And this too. Definitely do this.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I was pretty much in your exact situation last year. I also wanted to leave a small company that treated me well. I realllllly hate lying, but one of the few times I would actually recommend it is in this situation. You don't want to say anything until you've gotten an offer in writing. I'm pretty sure my company would have been cool if I was open with them, but you never want to risk that. If the opportunity fell through, imagine what your working relationship might become till you found something new. People would wonder how invested you still are, wonder if you're happy there, etc.

Unfortunately you're going to need an excuse for slipping out to take phone call, or unexpectedly taking a personal day. Most people probably wouldn't ask, but close friends will probably want to know how your day off went. Come up with something you won't mind elaborating on if anyone asks. I actually told the people that asked that I was going to Dallas for the weekend (which was true) to see my family there (also true.) In my case it was less of a lie and more of "not telling the whole truth."

Only once you've accepted the offer from your new company should you drop the bomb. If you've got the time, try to give more than 2 weeks notice, even if you can only afford a couple days more. If you're leaving because you're unhappy there, try your best to spin it in a different light. Yup, more lying. In my case I told them I just didn't like LA and wanted to plant roots somewhere else. That was 100% true, and was my primary reason for leaving. However, things were not perfect for me there, and if they were I might have stayed longer. But I never ever gave them that impression. Even if things were REALLY bad, do your best not to "tell them off." Giving your notice should never be the place to vent your frustrations. All that can come from that is more negativity. Years down the road you'll be thankful you kept a positive attitude and probably maintained good relationships in the process.

Two months after I left the entire art team got laid off. When you know you know, I suppose. On the bright side, I might be getting a couple guys that got laid off positions at my current company. To quote Conan O'Brien:

"if you work really hard, and you’re kind, amazing things will happen."
  • Voxelox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys, all of them are really insightful and have helped a tonne. Just the relief of knowing other people have been/are in similar situations has been a great help.

I think the general consensus of, keep quiet until absolutely necessary, is good advice. As many of you have pointed out it's hard to know how anyone will react and the closeness of the studio could potentially exacerbate things where colleagues could take my leaving personally.
    you dont owe your company anything, its simply business

This is actually very true, it seems obvious but because there's very much an "all in this together" attitude at work and it's hard to separate that mentality from the fact it is after all, just a job.
    Even if things were REALLY bad, do your best not to "tell them off."

We have fairly regular assessments at work and I've discussed the issues I have with the job to my boss several times. I wouldn't bring any of these up when handing in my notice but he would know the real reasons :). Awkwardly one of reasons I'm leaving is due to the shitty deadlines we get and subsequently the really low quality of games we produce, hopefully no one takes offense to the fact I'd be moving on to much higher quality games.

Again thanks for everyone's help, I couldn't have asked for more informative responses.

Thanks!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) Try not to burn any bridges, espcially ones you are standing on.

2) There is no better time to look for a job than when you already have one, it takes the desperation out of the search and allows you to be a bit more objective.

3) No one should ever hold it against you for making your life better. Some petty people might but those are people you probably don't want in your life anyway.

4) If you're worried about leaving your current employer high and dry, you can work with them and your new employer to make a smoother transition. Put in 2 weeks notice and work on documentation, help train your replacement ect... But sometimes its better just to cut the cord and go rather than linger.

Bottom line, do what you think is right and don't stress out about making everyone happy all the time, its an unattainable goal that will just make you miserable.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way...

When you look for work WHILE employed, it does give you leverage. It has to be a substantial upgrade to your employment situation.. be it a cooler title, more stability, better pay, cooler technology, or a more influential position.

When you're unemployed, you kinda have to take what you can get.

**damnit mark beat me to it**
  • Kolibri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kolibri polycounter lvl 9
    First things first; you take care of you. If you're not happy in your job for whatever reason, you should not feel guilty about trying to find a place where you will be happy. If you love where you work but don't make enough money, ask for a raise (and be prepared with why you deserve one). I always tell people: if you don't ask, you don't get.

If your current company can't accommodate what you need or you want a bigger change, don't feel badly for a white lie. I think the other guys have pretty well covered that. You can mitigate feelings of guilt by making sure the company you're leaving is well set up before you leave. Recommendations for a replacement artist will help, as will writing documentation, wrapping up what you've been working on and making sure that other people at the company know how to take over some of your duties. Basically, help make sure they can still hit the ground running after you go.

Looking while already employed puts you in a good position. There's much less pressure to accept any offer you get. It'll be easier to negotiate when you can weigh the opportunity against your current position. Be considerate to your current employer (i.e. don't schedule an interview during sprint day, for example) and polite and you shouldn't have to worry about bridges being burned.

Good luck with your job hunt! :)
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    I'm just curious (bumping the thread...) How would anyone of you handle a 1 on 1 with your employer to say you will be resigning from your position? How would the conversation be held like in the moment you arrive to ask them for some 1 on 1 time?

I work for a 5 person (on-site) indie studio, though many offsite. There are extreme financial troubles going on with our studio. I am just curious as to how could I effectively not burn a bridge (given we aren't the most respected of indie studios out there) tell my employer "I've been offered a position for a game studio that presents a career opportunity I can't refuse"

I've never broken into a AAA-like studio space before and I might be now. I just don't want to kill off those with passion who work for slim-to-none, whom may have no other opportunities at present for them.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I would just be straight with them...tell them you have to discuss your resignation.and if they have been good to you...give them as much notice as possible without putting yourself in a financial bind if they decide to freak out and let you go on the spot.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan wrote: »
    I'm just curious (bumping the thread...) How would anyone of you handle a 1 on 1 with your employer to say you will be resigning from your position? How would the conversation be held like in the moment you arrive to ask them for some 1 on 1 time?

Write a letter with two sentences: first sentence tells them you are resigning, the second sentence tells them the last day you are available for work. Do not give your reason for leaving in that letter. Make sure you give them sufficient notice.

If they want to discuss your reasons for leaving, they will ask. You can say whatever you want during that discussion. If they need or want anything from you, be helpful.

The reason you want to write the letter is so that both parties have proof of when you gave your notice for leaving.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks guys, a letter does sound good, though to give some depth to the work place. It's currently being handled in an apartment now since we've lost the money to hold a lease to an office space. So when work time comes, its at the bosses apartment and the remaining onsite people sleep there. So, it's a pretty intimate personal situation if imagined. Should the advice given still be recommended? or does this change anything in your eyes?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Should the advice given still be recommended? or does this change anything in your eyes?

Buy them lunch or a round of drinks...then drop the bomb.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I think the notion that you are required to give notice is bullshit..I've never had the same courtesy returned to me...it's always been a clandestine affair where you are ambushed and told if you do not sign the papers they give you, they will not give your severance..or take as much time as they are legally allowed to pay you your final check..but I digress. ..If they have been good to you, be good to them..if you are legally obligated- by contract, or law of the land- make sure all those bases are covered first.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Voxelox, i feel your pain, i won't really comment on anything other than saying it's sometime hard to say bye to your boss or current coworkers but if it's a way for futher growth and new horizon. A bear needs to do what bears do and go and sh!t in the woods if you get the analogy.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, a letter does sound good, though to give some depth to the work place. It's currently being handled in an apartment now since we've lost the money to hold a lease to an office space. So when work time comes, its at the bosses apartment and the remaining onsite people sleep there. So, it's a pretty intimate personal situation if imagined. Should the advice given still be recommended? or does this change anything in your eyes?

Nothing changes, give them the letter then discuss it with them later.