Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jack Daniels Old No. 7

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
I'm working on a bottle of Jack Daniels for an upcoming portfolio scene. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

153XKQe.png

qTONATQ.png

AAs1X2R.png

Replies

• Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    I think the materials needs some work, the glass looks plastic to me

what are your texture sizes?
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Cglewis,

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I've adjusted the materials. Hopefully it is reading more like glass now? I've also made the signature larger on the Bottle.

The textures are 1024x1024. I'm using a separate texture for the label around the bottle and it's about 1024x512, but it's just a diffuse texture.

64i6Ssx.png
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I think you need to add another layer of geometry inside the bottle to make it look like it has a thickness. Right now it just looks like its super thing. I'd also add some wear to that pretty bottle to make it look a bit more interesting. The geometry isn't that amazing to warrant a stand alone so the textures could really bump it up
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Dimfist. I hear what you're saying and I agree.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Looks nice.

Agree with Dimfist for the glass thicknes, especially on the botom.

I don't know if you can do that but it could be cool not to do a full bottle, could try to do it slightly empty :

314069.jpg

Also, I think that the blackness of the label is reflecting into the liquid, which gives this black color in the photo. Well rendering liquids is difficult, but if you want to push it a bit more, you know what to do ^^.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Texelion, thanks for the suggestions. I actually did have the bottle about 3/4 full originally. I got some weird results though. But I would like to try it again as I think I have a better understanding now.

I need to focus my free time on the mini golf challenge. But I'll revisit these points afterwards and post an update. :)

Thanks again. I really appreciate the feedback.