Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted Scene (UDK)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
chrisjuuuh polycounter lvl 6
Hi there!

Here's a little scene I've been working on over the last 3 weeks. Would love a bit of feedback. Ill let the work speak for itself.

k9fz.jpg

z7oy.jpg

w38r.jpg

vcwy.jpg

pkmr.jpg

dgek.jpg

Thanks a heap!

Replies

• Buttlas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're doing a very nice job so far, but I think the colors don't really contribute as much as they could to the mood of the scene. You're using a lot of warm tones on the buildings but this seems to take place at night in the winter time, both of which are not usually associated with those colors. I would localize the reds/oranges/yellows to objects that are directly near a light source such as the windows and the lamps, and maybe tint everything else a very subtle blue/gray. Just my 2 cents. Overall this looks great!
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I like the style you're going for. I get it and see it clearly. The issue I'm having is that everything appears really low res. I don't know if that's intentional or not. Take a look at Jessica Dinh's work and besides have your jaw drop, try and use her work as a general guide to what you can do with painted textures.

Disclaimer: I'm not a painted textures expert at all.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Architecturally there's a lot of details missing here in regards to trim and structure.

You could change the way you are texturing using thirding to add details like floor trim and door trim, for example: http://poopinmymouth.com/process/tips/thirding.jpg

The lack of door frames, the way the posts aren't on the ends of the rails, just keep looking for details like these from reference and bringing them to your work. Every little bit helps.