Home General Discussion

School to do for studies in 3D modeling

Bob911
null
Offline / Send Message
Bob911 null
Hello everyone !

So first of all, I'm sorry for my bad English, I've got a lack of technical vocabulary, so it's a little bit hard for me to explain clearly my situation.

I'm 22 now, I started 3D modeling at 14 on my free time (but not enough time to become very good, I think there is plenty of people out there that learnt 3D for a shorter time than I did, and are better than me) with 3ds max, so I'm a little bit more "exigeant" regarding the teachers (and the global level).

I tried to do a random school with 3D modeling and animation, and it was not a good idea at all, I wasted time and money (most 3D modeling school in France are private and very expensives).
The teachers were bad (except art teachers, I was pretty happy with them and learnt a lot) but not our 3D teachers (one for 3D modeling, another for texturing and animation).
And the school started to have a lack of money so we didn't have all the courses we was supposed to have (to do?).

well... let's go to the point now:
I don't know a lot of good schools to study 3D modeling outside of France (even in France I don't know eveything).
I have enough money to go study abroad and I think I've got a good enough level in english to attend a school with courses in english.

I'm a little bit more interested in Switzerland, Canada, UK, and Sweden (but I'm still open for any suggestion) and also looking for a good environment/city to study in...

Regarding Sweden I heard that Gotland university from a swedish guy (but he is not in that school, but a friend of him are), that told me there was courses in english only (in video game or 3d modeling)... but we didn't find anything on their website ... :') ...

I've also heard of VFS Vancouver Film School.
Very expensive and I subbed to their youtube channel back in... 2008/2009 (I think) and the global level did not changed a lot (or it's me?) since then.
I want to say that they suck but it's a little bit harsh, since their animation are quite good, even if the models and textures are BAD.
(good if you want to become an animation artist more than a 3D modeling artist).

Annnnd that's all I had to say !
(I think... :D )

Regards.

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    http://www.digitalartsandentertainment.be/?#/en/News/

I went there. it's good and cheap. More foreigners should go there imo.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Before you go and waste money on school take a hard and critical look at the job market.

Where are you going to apply when you are finished?

Will your portfolio be good enough without any pro experience (which is usually 2-3 shipped titles already in hand)?

Where does your portfolio stand now? Does it hold up to pro work already?

There is an entire thread on education.

Will it be safer to go into a different field that actually has a successful career path right after school?

....Because the game industry doesn't.

The sacrifices of being an artist, for the sake of art, doesn't translate into making a living WHEN you need it to. Usually it takes a fierce combination of denial, unyielding focus and luck.

School won't make you great or even good. Only time with your craft will do that.

And that's something you can do with just yourself and Polycount University...which is free.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    katana wrote: »
    Before you go and waste money on school take a hard and critical look at the job market.

Where are you going to apply when you are finished?

Will your portfolio be good enough without any pro experience (which is usually 2-3 shipped titles already in hand)?

Where does your portfolio stand now? Does it hold up to pro work already?

There is an entire thread on education.

Will it be safer to go into a different field that actually has a successful career path right after school?

....Because the game industry doesn't.

The sacrifices of being an artist, for the sake of art, doesn't translate into making a living WHEN you need it to. Usually it takes a fierce combination of denial, unyielding focus and luck.

School won't make you great or even good. Only time with your craft will do that.

And that's something you can do with just yourself and Polycount University...which is free.

Will going to school magically turn you into a successful professional? heck no.
    Can it greatly accelerate your progress? sure it can.
    That being said, you have to be serious about your craft, and treat the school as a source of professional feedback.
    Completely dissing art schools, simply because there's no guarantee of employment, is a big mistake.

If you're serious enough, you'll likely succeed, with or without schooling.
    If you're not putting in a huge amount of effort and time, no school will help you.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    what about this place in france http://en.artfx.fr/school/
  • Bob911
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bob911 null
    Hello,
    Well katana,I already think about learning stuff on my own,like I did and study something else and I must admit that I don't really know what to do in my life, everything I want to do, doesn't land with a succeful job or carreer except with a lot of chance...
    (Okay, here I am the problem)
    And yeah, fiding a job in video game or illustration (anything that require a 3D modeler) is very hard to find...

And meshpotato, I agree with your point of view.. I wanted to progress mush fater than I did, because I didn't have mush time before.