Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Technique question

Anyone got an idea how to create these lines with 3ds max?

I never need such geometry before.

662482.jpeg

Replies

• KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Are you planning on baking a high poly?

If you're doing a high poly, you could try floating the shape over the surface and bake it down.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I am a Maya modeler, but the one way I would think of doing this (Take it you are doing the High poly of the magazine), is taking a helix or spiral spline and extruding along this spline and creating this geometry this way. Or you can use a flat geometric spiral of some sort to match this spiral, and extrude along that.

Like Kyle said, make sure this is floating geometry as you will want to keep the drums themselves as clean topology as possible for a High Poly. Just how I would do it right this moment. Havent made anything like this before, but seems to be the most effective way.
  • Colditz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helix was the word I was looking for. Made a spline helix and modified it. Thanks! :thumbup:

758852.jpeg
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice result, I am glad to see that you modeled it in.

Add3r: Floating geometry can be used to save time, but if you can model it in, then do it. You get incorrect shadows when you bake your AO if you used floating geo. I am not saying to never use it, but there is no case where you should "make sure this is floating geometry". Colditz did a great job of getting the details in seamlessly and this will give a better result in the end.
  • Abdullah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you please share how you modeled that?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    cdevens wrote: »
    Very nice result, I am glad to see that you modeled it in.

Add3r: Floating geometry can be used to save time, but if you can model it in, then do it. You get incorrect shadows when you bake your AO if you used floating geo. I am not saying to never use it, but there is no case where you should "make sure this is floating geometry". Colditz did a great job of getting the details in seamlessly and this will give a better result in the end.

You can disable backface shadow casting to alleviate most of those problems (in xNormal, for instance).
  • Colditz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abdullah wrote: »
    can you please share how you modeled that?

Create a Helix Spline -> Splines -> Helix

Adjust the settings.

329731.jpeg

251342.jpeg
  • Abdullah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colditz wrote: »
    Create a Helix Spline -> Splines -> Helix

Adjust the settings.

329731.jpeg

251342.jpeg

Thanks a lot.
  • Colditz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only small updates. Used for Patronentrommel 34 PT34 and Doppeltrommel 15 DT15.

DT15
    The DT15 or "Doppeltrommel 15" is a 75 round magazine intended for use with the MG15. Except for some inside mechanicals, its almost optical identicial to the PT34 or Patronentrommel 34 used later for the MG34. Because of mechanical reasons, the DT15 will not fit on a MG34, but a PT34 can be used on the MG15.

PT34
    The PT34 or "Patronentrommel 34" is a 75 round magazine intended for use with the MG34. Except for some inside mechanicals, its almost optical identicial to the DT15 or Doppeltrommel 34 used for the MG15. The PT34 will fit on a MG34 and the older MG15. When used for the MG34 it needs a special cover, the so called magazine holder or "Trommelhalter". It can't be used with the usual feed cover used for belts.

289690.jpeg