Home General Discussion

3DTotal.com News & Updates

Discover how to create and populate your own video game level using the Unreal game engine. Get your copy here

The Unreal games engine is a hugely versatile system that has been used to power a variety of best-selling video games. In The Unreal Game Engine, environment artist Andrew Finch looks at how to create game levels from scratch using the free Unreal Development Kit, starting with modeling the environment. He then addresses the two different ways in which you can create accessories for your scene – modeling in 3ds Max and importing them, or creating them directly in UDK – before adding textures and lighting. If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to be a level designer and wanted some practical experience, then look no further than The Unreal Game Engine.

About the Author:

Andrew Finch has been working in the games industry professionally for six years; his responsibilities include modeling, texturing and lighting. He is currently working on his eighth game title. Andrew started out in Animation and received a bachelor’s degree. His passion for creating environments grew during his studies and he soon realized this is what he wanted to do.

productmain_01.jpg

productmain_02.jpg

productmain_03.jpg

productmain_04.jpg

productmain_05.jpg

productmain_06.jpg

productmain_07.jpg

productmain_08.jpg

Pre-order your copy right now!

Replies

• ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Your book title is painfully misleading given that there are five iterations of the engine in public hands, with the sixth (UE4) on it's way.
  • 3DTotal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reason why the book is not titled in relation to a particular version of Unreal is because although the latest version has some overhauls and certain processes have changed, this book covers general techniques that could be used not only in Unreal Engine 3 but any other games engine software.

The book is not a Unreal bible type book more of a general games environment development process which happens to use Unreal3.

Hope that helps! :)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    That's not better.

The book is titled 'The Unreal Game Engine', then I'm expecting a book about the Unreal Engine in general, likely with a technical orientation as it's the engine and not the tools.

If your subject matter is game environment design and uses UDK, then you'd call it something like 'Environment Design in Unreal Engine 3'.
  • 3DTotal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We chose not to put 3 in the title because the way that we approached the book means it is still very relevant to past and future versions.

The full title as depicted on the cover is 'The Unreal Game Engine: A Comprehensive Guide to Creating Playable Levels'. We thought this title best summed up the book, but of course understand that not everyone will agree.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    hmmm I may pick this up I always have to think for a day or 2 before I buy something as im prone to impulse buys lol, textures aren't really a sweetener though, I like making my own textures and using someone elses would make me feel sketchy.
  • 3DTotal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha oh we all know about impulsive buys! ;)

To help you make your mind up, you can see a flip book version on the shop page under the preview tab here
  • 3DTotal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mainproduct_large1.jpg

All of our eBooks are currently 50% off for one week only! Click here to view them all.